Your Ideal PC Rig Specs / New Builds & Upgrades 2023

Ahhhhh, so appears, that I have another upgrade to do to the PC.

The LCD kit that I had bought, which I then found out was not compatible with the newest iCUE Link AIO.

Corsair, now has a new version they kindly let me know about via email. So I have pre-ordered it to complete this new iLink combo. Compared to previous model it seems to offer better lighting in its casing/body with a neater design and having all the connectivity though the pump cables.

No question their are cheaper alternatives, it is a costly configuration but what I like about these is that they come pre-fitted and the new cabling system is much less fuss/tidier. So installation really is a doddle as it will be for this additional LCD module.

For me, how this new iCUE range looks and the software options in controlling them, does bring a nice level of satisfaction. I have some ideas, so wait to you see in a future thread how I use lighting in my custom rig build and not just the PC itself.

Last edited:
I'll not be satisfied with any computer likely to be developed in my lifetime. Three simple requests:

1 - Turn it on and off like any other piece of electronic equipment. No more booting, loading, configuring, initializing, scanning, analyzing ...every time you turn it on. No more "shutting down" (walk by five minutes later and still see a blue screen, "shutting down").

2 - If computers are so fast, and getting faster every generation ... why are we always waiting on them to do something? When "Please wait" and "Loading loading loading" are relics of ancient technology, I'll be happy.

3 - Microsoft, you have had thirty years to develop windows. You brag of how "fast" and "efficient" it is. Bah! I am not impressed that your system can juggle a trillion terabytes of data every nanosecond because the fact remains that if even one byte of all that is corrupt the entire system collapses like a house of cards in a hurricane. Please, develop a fail safe OS.

(And considering all the above, people trust autonomous cars?)

777death.jpg

Small update, the new LCD arrived for the CPU / AIO and I also got a good refurbished (highly reduced) deal for a Corsair K100 Keyboard.

Just some quick snaps to show different lighting themes/ideas
I want to make some custom GIF for animations suited to profiles I come up with....

My rig build frame will extend the lighting used within the PC over its chrome tubing that the build uses for what is quite a dramatic, but satisfying level in its styling. One of the key differences/approaches my own build will do to others I have seen. Yet I want tasteful usage of this being applied and not just tacky rainbow RGB, everywhere...

I have to say that the options in controlling the appearance and also the special modes for the fans, not possible to see in static images. For me it isn't just a gimmick but surprisingly has become, an enhanced way to appreciate the build/purchase and in fairness it also looks much better in motion.

Still waiting on the Phanteks Premium LCD kit for the case to come into stock to then finish up on the cabling. Also bought magnetic dust filters for the top/sides as one element some reviewers thought the case should of had/ Adding these should then complete the PC case build.

Ferrari

Mclaren

Mercedes

Keyboard profiles can be made to match.
Example of a Petronas / Niki Lauda design

Gran Turismo

*Not sure why the motherboard code changes but the system is stable and performing well. Might look into it or see if its related to some setting needing changed in bios.

Last edited:
I'll not be satisfied with any computer likely to be developed in my lifetime. Three simple requests:

1 - Turn it on and off like any other piece of electronic equipment. No more booting, loading, configuring, initializing, scanning, analyzing ...every time you turn it on. No more "shutting down" (walk by five minutes later and still see a blue screen, "shutting down").

2 - If computers are so fast, and getting faster every generation ... why are we always waiting on them to do something? When "Please wait" and "Loading loading loading" are relics of ancient technology, I'll be happy.

3 - Microsoft, you have had thirty years to develop windows. You brag of how "fast" and "efficient" it is. Bah! I am not impressed that your system can juggle a trillion terabytes of data every nanosecond because the fact remains that if even one byte of all that is corrupt the entire system collapses like a house of cards in a hurricane. Please, develop a fail safe OS.

I think we have to wait for Quantam.
I be long gone ..... :( lol

1920px-IBM_Q_system_%28Fraunhofer_2%29.jpg

I've just came across these...

I don't need them, don't know where I'd put them but...

Configurable VU meters!

I've got a soft spot for 80's audio equipment. :D

Those look quite nice indeed, never seen them before.

Found this

After a 2 month wait, this arrived (funny enough) from OCuk this morning and the box is bigger than I expected for some reason but does look kinda cool.

Last edited:
Not fussing much with these images, just quick snaps and uploaded guys.

Installation wasn't too bad, had a tight fit with one of the connectors from the AIO and getting the top LED element in place. Didn't bother with the motherboard cover bit neither.

The LED kit and GPU options do work towards making the case closer to being £250 and in fairness that's before taking into account fans and AIO.

You, know something, every time I look at this I am pleased with the choices I made and can mess around at some point futtering with improving these and doing nice lighting styles.

Just sharing this idea with this new case and fan options highlighting perhaps a flavour of creativity, or originality in offering a few motorsport themes for a PC. Later these can be extended to the rig build as well.

Hope you enjoyed the ride for now......

Last edited:
Heres an excellent example of using lighting for a classey look.
Video below has nice presentation for the NV5 with iCUE fans.

Last edited:
Excellent comparison here which shows we need faster GPU's with 4K or higher resolutions but clearly AMD have created a superb CPU for gaming that is much more power efficient too. Currently its also about £200 cheaper than the i9 14900K.

One of the reasons I choose this CPU was the 3D cache makes quite a large difference in ACC and I wonder if this will be the case also for the upcoming AC2?

Last edited:
One of the reasons I choose this CPU was the 3D cache makes quite a large difference in ACC and I wonder if this will be the case also for the upcoming AC2?
It's makes a massice difference in AC1 too, not just in ACC!
It also makes an awesome difference in Raceroom and a more than decent difference in rF2.
More than most generational leaps.

So chances are high that AC2 will have about 40-80% better 1% lows with a 7800X3D vs 7700X.

Did you see my results in the Ryzen 7000 Thread?
Here are just the percentages again.
The extra 2 cores don't matter for simracing, I tested this with my 10600k by disabling hyperthreading and then disabling the 6th core.
Identical fps with 5 cores/5 threads vs 6 cores / 12 threads in all these simracing titles.
So it's really just the 3D Cache vs normal CPU.
IMG_20231212_170401_703.jpg

Oh, I forgot one thing:
One of my simracing teammates has a 13900k and an fps limit of 162 (165 Hz gsync).
He had some issues with his 4070 ti being a bit unstable when cold so we looked into it, limited the max. clocks via afterburner and that was it.
However I noticed his CPU showing 143 W average while watching an ACC replay :O_o:

He didn't want to tinker too much with it but we checked how low we could set the power limit until the fps would drop.
Now it's only using 104 W on average :)
(and the 4070 ti dropped about 80 W too with an undervolting profile)

Meanwhile my 7800X3D with his graphics preset and the same replay:
Below 50 W ! :roflmao:
My 7600X with it's 5.5 GHz OC hovered around 65W! (While not reaching 162 fps...)
Sadly the clocks are locked with the 3D...
1702399836861.png

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes