Wurz Ruled out of Manor Role

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
wurz.jpg

Following on from discussions with Manor Marussia owner Stephen Fitzpatrick, soon to retire former Grand Prix driver Alexander Wurz has ruled himself out of a role at the struggling back of the field team.

"After a period of consideration, I have informed Stephen Fitzpatrick that I have taken the decision not to make myself available to Manor," 41-year-old Wurz explained to BBC Sport.

Regarded as one of the most intelligent and grounded people in the Formula One paddock, current GPDA President Wurz would of brought a wealth of racing experience to the young team following the imminent departures of both founder John Booth and Sporting Director Graham Lowdon.

Team owner Stephen Fitzpatrick said that although he spoke to Wurz, no formal offer was made.
"We haven't offered the post of Team Principal to anyone but I have been talking to a lot of people and asking for advice," Fitzpatrick said, adding: "I have asked a lot of people a lot of things."

Other notably personalities to have been approached for the role include former McLaren Team Principle Martin Whitmarsh, now CEO of the Ben Ainslie Racing America's Cup team. Whitmarsh has emphatically denied he is interested in the role and is "not looking for a Team Principal role in F1 full stop".

The search continues...

Maybe Wurz would prefer working in the WEC side still, would be less time consuming than F1, although not by much.

I think he does commentary on the TV anyway? Would certainly keep him busy.

When I read his press statement the other day and you realise he's literally been non-stop "race driver" for the last 25 years of his life I can totally understand if he wants to chill for 12 months! :)

What scares me is I can remember him making is debut as a young geeky fresh faced bloke... seems like yesterday that does.

Now's he's 41 and packing up!

I'm getting old....

What scares me is I can remember him making is debut as a young geeky fresh faced bloke... seems like yesterday that does.

Now's he's 41 and packing up!

I'm getting old....

Haha, I had to stop watching the last Olympics, I got fed up with the commentators saying "well he/she is in their twenties now and almost past it" well that just made me feel like a right spring chicken.....

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.