Lowdon and Booth set to leave Manor at season's end

Booth & Lowdon.png
Graeme Lowdon (Sporting Director) and John Booth (Team Principal) are set to leave the Manor-Marussia Formula One team at the end of the current season less than a year after saving the team from financial disaster.

With the increased costs that came with the new power units which were introduced for the 2014 season, Manor, then Marussia, joined the former Caterham team with serious financial issues which almost ran the team into the ground. However, the efforts of Lowdon especially helped saved the team after their former owner Andre Cheglakov withdrew from the project towards the end of the 2014 season, by helping to secure a deal with OVO Energy founder Stephen Fitzpatrick which saw Manor take to the 2015 at the very last minute.

But, since then the relationship between Fitzpatrick, and Lowdon & Booth has allegedly soured with the Fitzpatrick apparently keeping the pair out of the loop in regards to how the team is being run and out of the decision making processes.

Should Booth and Lowdon leave the team, the current word of the grapevine is that the pair will switch to the World Endurance Championship, although there is no word on which category they would be involved in.

Meanwhile, a move away from Formula One and Manor would in turn would bring to an end John Booth's 25 year association with the team after he founded the team back in 1990.

Do you think Lowdon and Booth's exit could harm Manor's 2016 prospects? Or is this the right move for a team looking towards the midfield? Let us know below!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a shame for Manor/Merc,as these two seem to be pretty good guy's.They both seem to have their feet on the ground.Keeping Manor on the grid for this season,was nothing short of a miracle.I would of liked to see the team develop around them next season with the merc engine.Good luck to both of them in there future endevours..

I think Manor just has to quit F1.

They can't even build a 2016 car for next year so that will mean that they will drive with a modified 2014 car again.

Even with the Merc engine they would still be at the back of the grid

Manor should close shop and leave F1! too expensive and costly anyways! F1 needs to cap all those crazy budgets and expenses, does not male sense and had nothing to do with motor sports anymore, or generally speaking same applies to sports across the globe...all become money making machineries...and reduced to nothing but $$$

Seems like the most graceful timing option in terms of an exit for them. If they linger on until next year it means they will be out-laying even more debt and will almost certainly be demoted to 11th at the end of 2016 with the arrival of Haas. This means no more FOM money which means all their staff get ****ed over.

Quitting now (EOY) means they can at least afford to shut down gracefully with their guaranteed 2015 prize money.

They both seem nice guys. It appears to me just another example of the impossible F1 cost structure that only suits the top 3-4 teams and then not always.

Redbull having come in and in my view they upped the ante financially buying all the toys and 700 staff and 4 Championships no longer have the edge due to their engine. They find that spending say an estimated 600million per year and not winning isn't fun.

The money structure is about hyper budgets that are eye watering for all but the biggest companies.
We see that Volkswagens plans to enter *see below are scuppered as their spare $billion got eaten up by the emissions scandal.

So it's a place no longer for racers, The Ken Tyrells, Colin Chapmans, Peter Saubers. Its for corporates. That pure fact is killing F1.
If costs were cut to 25% of current levels the spectacle would be unchanged.
Bold statement? The whole of the indycar grid runs on about what Sauber spend.

If a team could enter and compete for say £30-50 million p.a we would see 18 teams instead of 11 and the need to pre qualify. We would see new blood that wasn't really just customer teams (Haas) and B-teams (Toro Rosso) or client teams just running the top teams drivers in waiting.

The top few are strangling the sport.

*I mean why would any sane company that already had a strong brand image spend the minimum 1 billion required to even be near the front? Can anyone tell me?
Examples:
a)Lets look at it. M/Benz, tons of money but a bit of a staid old farts image. Perfect sense, F1 Lewis Hamilton WCC, WDC. Job done. The masses don't get to see that the Driver is British, the Car is british and the engine is british. The M/B parts are the cheque book and the paint job.
So it was a reasonable investment. But even for them it looked a bit scary for a while when wilth all that money the were languishing in the mid grid. with Shumacher and Rosberg.

b) Red Bull. Soft drink billionaire and a product that either needs hundreds of millions spent on advertising or spent on promotion. If you like F1 it might as well be promotion. So , job done. You couldnt but the air time and promotion RedBull has had with the same spend (as their F1 budget) on advertising. They have done their job and now might scale back. The return on further billions is now a bit more nebulous. They can go and hype something else like soap box racing if they want.

c) Ferrari. Their whole brand image is built on F1. The relationship is somewhat symbiotic. They need F1, F1 needs them. (they do have too much power IMO).

d) Volkswagen. A brand image (until recent developments) par excellence. Bentley, Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat.
The luxury brand, the overpriced car, the family car, the value car and the younger car.
Audi particularly, a whole brand built on very little but early 80s rallying and QUATTRO and the Lemans 24 hours. But its working.
The reality is that Vorsprung dur Tecnic is better translated as "Volkswagen but Expensive"
However the masses that are more comforatable paying an extra £100 a month and having the audi badge instead of the Skoda badge are happy.
So if its working why on earth do you want to spend a billion quid to have an audi team that would (almost certainly) not dominate? If they dont dominate what have they achieved. IMO a pure ego project and smacking of "edifice complex".

So my question is if you were running a successful car company with a good brand image would you enter F1?

Last edited:
I say, take the whole current F1 circus and bin it, piss Todt and Ecclestone off, rewrite the rules and regs and start again.
Without the Million dollar running costs so that small budget teams can get a shot at F1 glory. These days of big money running sports is taking it's toll, soon F1 will be just the big money manufacturers like Ferrari, Merc & Renault, smaller private teams will be unable to afford to compete.

Way to go FOM.

They both seem nice guys. It appears to me just another example of the impossible F1 cost structure that only suits the top 3-4 teams and then not always.

Redbull having come in and in my view they upped the ante financially buying all the toys and 700 staff and 4 Championships no longer have the edge due to their engine. They find that spending say an estimated 600million per year and not winning isn't fun.

The money structure is about hyper budgets that are eye watering for all but the biggest companies.
We see that Volkswagens plans to enter *see below are scuppered as their spare $billion got eaten up by the emissions scandal.

So it's a place no longer for racers, The Ken Tyrells, Colin Chapmans, Peter Saubers. Its for corporates. That pure fact is killing F1.
If costs were cut to 25% of current levels the spectacle would be unchanged.
Bold statement? The whole of the indycar grid runs on about what Sauber spend.

If a team could enter and compete for say £30-50 million p.a we would see 18 teams instead of 11 and the need to pre qualify. We would see new blood that wasn't really just customer teams (Haas) and B-teams (Toro Rosso) or client teams just running the top teams drivers in waiting.

The top few are strangling the sport.

*I mean why would any sane company that already had a strong brand image spend the minimum 1 billion required to even be near the front? Can anyone tell me?
Examples:
a)Lets look at it. M/Benz, tons of money but a bit of a staid old farts image. Perfect sense, F1 Lewis Hamilton WCC, WDC. Job done. The masses don't get to see that the Driver is British, the Car is british and the engine is british. The M/B parts are the cheque book and the paint job.
So it was a reasonable investment. But even for them it looked a bit scary for a while when wilth all that money the were languishing in the mid grid. with Shumacher and Rosberg.

b) Red Bull. Soft drink billionaire and a product that either needs hundreds of millions spent on advertising or spent on promotion. If you like F1 it might as well be promotion. So , job done. You couldnt but the air time and promotion RedBull has had with the same spend (as their F1 budget) on advertising. They have done their job and now might scale back. The return on further billions is now a bit more nebulous. They can go and hype something else like soap box racing if they want.

c) Ferrari. Their whole brand image is built on F1. The relationship is somewhat symbiotic. They need F1, F1 needs them. (they do have too much power IMO).

d) Volkswagen. A brand image (until recent developments) par excellence. Bentley, Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat.
The luxury brand, the overpriced car, the family car, the value car and the younger car.
Audi particularly, a whole brand built on very little but early 80s rallying and QUATTRO and the Lemans 24 hours. But its working.
The reality is that Vorsprung dur Tecnic is better translated as "Volkswagen but Expensive"
However the masses that are more comforatable paying an extra £100 a month and having the audi badge instead of the Skoda badge are happy.
So if its working why on earth do you want to spend a billion quid to have an audi team that would (almost certainly) not dominate? If they dont dominate what have they achieved. IMO a pure ego project and smacking of "edifice complex".

So my question is if you were running a successful car company with a good brand image would you enter F1?

Have to agree, but it is something we see now in most FIA sanctioned World Championships.

WTCC:
Citroen basically wrote the new rules, started way before everyone else. They even spent a few days in testing with the drivers banging the car against each other on the track to check if they are strong. They now have the fastest car in the corner, blast past everyone on a straight and if they feel like it, they can wreck all cars out of the way without getting damaged. Citroen also spents a lot more money than most other teams and races are even more booring than during the Chevy domination

F1:
Same story Mercedes wanted that new engine and are leaps ahead of everyone else.

WEC:
Not as bad, but last year we had 3 constructors fighting for wins. This year Porsche and Audi upped their budgets. Toyota is still on their cheap route, but at least Audi can take the fight to Porsche sometimes. Lets hope for a better Toyota next year and that VW does not pull out one of the brands. Maybe we will see Nissan at some point (just kidding).

WRC:
The rules didn't change for Volkswagen, but they really did their homework and Citroen did the biggest mistake in history by letting of Ogier to keep Loeb happy for one more year. The Polo is the best car, but after Loeb it really showed that the Citroen was not as strong as everyone believed. I personally think that Ford might have had the better car at least 50% of the time, but not the drivers to do the job. Loeb showed that a Citroen can still beat the Polos. I hope to see some fresh blood in WRC, because of the current drivers I think only Meek, Latvala and Neuville could at some point beat Ogier, but Neuville needs a better car and the others would need to finally stop crashing every rally.

In WEC case Toyota was just lazy, at least some of their interviews made it sound like they didn't go as far as they could because they thought others wouldn't be that much faster lol
Then they decided to go turbo for next season

In WEC case Toyota was just lazy, at least some of their interviews made it sound like they didn't go as far as they could because they thought others wouldn't be that much faster lol
Then they decided to go turbo for next season
I never really understood the reasoning behind Toyotas actions. In 2013 they didnt even field two cars in all WEC races wtf?! They never had a third car for LeMans and at least last year they could have won LeMans if they had three entries.

I hope they catch up again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back