Windows update now insists on logging in to microsoft account

Guys, my wife's PC has just had a windows update and now we are stuck at the startup screen where it insists we sign into the microsoft account, which we previously didn't need or want. How can we bypass this?

I am concerned that tis 'disease' will spread to the other PC's, most importantly the Race sim PC

Les

Last edited:
Both my PC use retail version of W10 Home
Only reason I ever sign into MS is to install FM7 sometimes
While in there I get any updates for MS apps I use
I use very little from MS most everything is removed and un-installed permanently
Never had either PC asked to sign in
I also do windows offline and when asked to connect I say I don't have the internet
MS will reboot one extra time in setup when finished boots straight in with no password

edit: Also when setup gets to end and you have those 6 ( used to be 7) items to tick or not I untick the lot, more stuff you don't need. In privacy everything is disabled as well. Basically I also disable / untick most everything in Microsoft settings. I also use WINAREO which can disable anything, save list to import when doing fresh OS.

Untitled 1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, my wife's PC has just had a windows update and now we are stuck at the startup screen where it insists we sign into the microsoft account, which we previously didn't need or want. How can we bypass this?

I am concerned that tis 'disease' will spread to the other PC's, most importantly the Race sim PC

Les
Did you solve the problem? I ran into the same thing with my mum's laptop...

Apologies for the delay in answering, but unfortunately no, we did not resolve it. In the end, after about a week we managed to find a logon she had previously used but seems she didn't realise, and had subsequently lost the password to.

through pure luck she still had the account active on her old phone, so after going through the password recovery thing, which was fraught we finally had access to the PC

I would like to de-couple the computer from this though

Cheers

Les

If you're constantly being prompted to log in to your Microsoft account there are a few ways this can be resolved: You can reset the Windows Credential Manager. For Word or Outlook you can sign out of your account once then it should resolve. For Outlook you can change the security settings.

watch stories

cc generator

Last edited:
OK, then I've yet to have the experience you (and Rasmus) have had.
Plenty of times I've had Win 10 screens that looked like I was being given no option to avoid using an MS account, but once I started down that path I eventually always found I was being given a "skip" or "do it later" type option... Sounds like they've mucked about with it in the last few months, which would be a typical MS bit of bullshit to pull.

OK, then I've yet to have the experience you (and Rasmus) have had.
Plenty of times I've had Win 10 screens that looked like I was being given no option to avoid using an MS account, but once I started down that path I eventually always found I was being given a "skip" or "do it later" type option... Sounds like they've mucked about with it in the last few months, which would be a typical MS bit of bullshit to pull.
Win 11 in my case though. Upgraded from Win 10.
I didn't find any skip button. It was just login/create or restart/shutdown.
Safe mode disables the "configuration" pop-ups altogether!
In case you ever get stuck in one of them :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.