Why does it feel as if oversteer correction is on?

Bought rF2 a few days ago for a race this Sunday. I am enjoying the sim, but it feels as though oversteer correction is on? When I get sideways, my wheel pulls back the opposite way into the slide. I have tripled checked that this aid is off, and if I do turn it on the effect is much greater.
Is this just a characteristic of rF2? I have only played AMS and some free Raceroom content in my short sim racing 'career'. Using a Fanatec CSL Elite.

When I get sideways, my wheel pulls back the opposite way into the slide.

Like @dajdosta said: Self alignment torque of the front wheels.

Self alignment torque helps “auto-countersteer” at a slide angle of 4-7 degrees.

Race cars have a bit more caster as road-cars. When the rear slides, the front wheels also auto-countersteers due to the caster-effect.

Drifters make use of these effects to release the wheel and let the steeringwheel auto-countersteer into a drift.

Is it possible that your FFB is not in the proper polarity. I remember from when i ran rF1 there was a setting to run negative or positive FFB. There might be a setting to adjust this in your wheel software but if not then check the following:

I see there is a setting for this in your "rFactor 2/UserData/Player/Controller JSON" - Try changing this to either + or - according to your present setting! If it's not in the proper polarity your wheel will feel like it's always fighting you in the opposite way it's supposed to.

"Steering effects strength":10000,
"Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)

Last edited:
It is also possible you had the FFB reversed in AMS, you certainly wouldn't be the first. Self-aligning torque should not differ much between AMS and rF2. People sometimes get confused by the strength slider in AMS.

And unless I'm mistaken, Fanatec wheels use inverted FFB, just like Logitech. So your strength setting in AMS should have negative value, not positive.

My G25 is using positive FFB as the above example shows from my controller JSON. Feels great. It's interesting that i needed to use negative FFB in rF1 to operate correctly but not so in rF2.

Last edited:
I guess I can chalk it up to being new to all this, but I still for like a bit of a fool. I inverted the FFB on AMS and now it feels so much better. Very much like rF2 and R3E. I was wondering why I had trouble controlling oversteer, it was like a knife edge from being slightly sideways to facing the opposite way. The bumps feel so much better too.
Thanks Martin and Ace for the replies. :)

Really, don't feel too bad about it. Like I've said, it's a pretty common mistake in AMS, and fairly easy to make, especially if you're new. There are wheel presets in AMS that should set it correctly for you, but people seldom use them and just configure the controls from the scratch themselves. I believe rF2 applies its default wheel profiles when it creates a new user profile, so it's kind of avoided there. And Raceroom definitely does.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.