Why am i so slow?

I'm always 3-4 seconds slower than the best times in every circuit

My best time at Bathurst is 2m 09s 500ms
At Paul Ricard is 2m 08s 500ms
(with medium tyres)

I always reach maximum RPM and brake as late as posible, also my racing lines are exactly the same as pole laps onboard videos, does someone has any idea of what am i doing wrong?

Here is my replay, my best time is half a second faster than that, i just can't go faster without spinning out...

traction control and abs OFF

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n_tf6ipINFSsN0E5cziho7bLR7eEPTQJ

I had a quick look and from the top of the hill when you start coming down, you're not being aggressive enough to get the car through those corners quickly.

You lose a lot more time in slower and medium speed corners than high speed corners. In those slow and medium speed corners you're losing too much time. If you work on being aggressive there you'll shave good time there.

Look at demtri's replay side by side with your and watch how hard he attacks that section. You'll see a lot of the missing time there.

Here's my best lap around Bathurst in Audi 2016 GT3. Not a perfect one though, there's probably about half a second left, but it's a damn difficult track to put a perfect lap on. For +27C and medium tires (softs would melt in this car) I'll take it.
Demetri, thanks for sharing this with us. I've seen some improvements for me in the turns but I also so that you are 6km/h faster than me (with the 650s) on the long straight which should also be part of why I am about 2,5s slower. Did you drive with very low rear wing setting?

Yeah tricky track. Remember doing 2:04's in the SCG03 some months ago. All lap time comes from the middle sector. I needed a predictable rear-end under very early acceleration and very late trail-braking.

You will need to be braking well into the corners instead of braking only before the corner. But in my opinion a true substantial growth of your balls size is the true answer to a fast laptime. That momentum needs to be carried and being afraid of the walls wont help!

cheers

I'm usually 1.5 - 2 seconds a lap slower if I don't practice (just not dedicated enough anymore and normally my practice laps are during qualifying :D). Late on in the race I'd be as quick as others. So for me, it's practice, practice, and when you feel that you have it practice some more.

I work on the theory that late braking is for overtaking, lift and coast is for fuel efficiency - so if I'm not on the brakes I should (must) be on the accelerator - and throttle / throttle control is for speed (yes I know this theory isn't always true). I can be relatively quick around Bathurst, but I tend to go for smoothness and consistency because if I push too hard it ends in disaster / safety car :laugh:.

Am I crazy or are you timing your lap from a standing start? If you're comparing to lap records, those would all be flying laps and you are losing easily 4-5 seconds at the start compared to them. It looks like the fastest people are turning high 2:01s at Bathurst in the 650S, so that would get you a lot closer. Now, from what you said, it sounds like you are also experiencing this during the second half of races also, so it doesn't explain that.

Continuing to find speed after you hit your personal limit is something that I think everyone struggles with in both sim racing and real life racing, and I don't know any way to do it other than keep practicing and carefully watch what other people are doing and see if you can take what works for them and apply it to your own style. Really pay attention to their pedal inputs; how they modulate their braking as they enter the corner and transition to throttle is where I think most people can find real speed.

One thing that is always difficult when instructing a student at track events is the idea that because they spin or lock up their tires under braking they are using all the grip available and there is no more speed to find in a corner. I suppose it is technically true that they used all grip available at that moment! But what they are not understanding is that there is much more potential grip available if they balance the car differently or are smoother with their inputs.

Am I crazy or are you timing your lap from a standing start? If you're comparing to lap records, those would all be flying laps and you are losing easily 4-5 seconds at the start compared to them. It looks like the fastest people are turning high 2:01s at Bathurst in the 650S

What do you mean? The lap time starts to count after you cross the finish line.

People are doing 2:05, 2:06 generally. This is the time i'm supposed to reach.

What do you mean? The lap time starts to count after you cross the finish line.

People are doing 2:05, 2:06 generally. This is the time i'm supposed to reach.

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot, I see now that you started a couple corners before the start/finish line so you were up to speed, my mistake. Looking further, it looks like the 2:01 times I saw were from a different version of the track. Several people mentioned Chris Down earlier in the thread, have you watched his world record video where he turns a 2:04.3 on the same version of the track you are using? If not, here it is:

you are obviously a competent driver from the video you have presented.
Being fast is all about an extra 1 or 2 mph in each or a lot of the bends. and then
carrying it down each straight.
without data that’s impossible to see from AC videos. They are not the most accurate of references at the best.
To me you are a good driver, that next bit takes effort, or if you are just fortunate
someone in the “ether” gifts you the ability.

You are 16km/hr slower than Demetri on the long back straight. for a starters.!:)
You are also 13km/hr slower than Criss on the same back straightaway!:)

You mean i'm taking the last corner before the long straight wrong then?

you are obviously a competent driver from the video you have presented.
Being fast is all about an extra 1 or 2 mph in each or a lot of the bends. and then
carrying it down each straight.
without data that’s impossible to see from AC videos. They are not the most accurate of references at the best.
To me you are a good driver, that next bit takes effort, or if you are just fortunate
someone in the “ether” gifts you the ability.

Thank you but, i'll only consider myself a good driver the day i reach the time i'm suposed to reach.

Demetri, thanks for sharing this with us. I've seen some improvements for me in the turns but I also so that you are 6km/h faster than me (with the 650s) on the long straight which should also be part of why I am about 2,5s slower. Did you drive with very low rear wing setting?
Well, Audi is arguably the fastest GT3 car on long straights and Macca is one of the slowest, so this is not a fair comparison. I was running 1 at front and 3 at rear wings during that run. Most of the time comes from two things on this track:
a) aggressively taking the middle section, running as close to the walls as you can manage
b) maintaining a good speed through those three left hand 90-degree corners in the flat sections. The one at the end of the back straight I find to be the trickiest of them all as it lacks any good visible brake marker and its inner curb is deadly

You mean i'm taking the last corner before the long straight wrong then?
Probably not. See, making a bad run in the corner immediately before a very long straight makes you lose a lot of time, that's true, but significant top speed deficit usually comes from running a too high-downforce setup or a bad gear set. Otherwise, even if you took the previous corner badly you will still reach almost the same speed at the end of the next long straight. 13 k/h difference there means your car most likely has a lot of drag compared to what Chris was running

Last edited:
One more thing. You did your lap in the hotlap mode, without an outlap, but in AC GT3 tires start with the grip lower than 100% and it will take them a couple of minutes of driving to reach to 100% (after which they will start to gradually degrade). So you need to run a proper outlap before doing you fast lap. Running it the way you did is probably another 0.5-1 second

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.