Who will take Webber's seat in 2014?

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff

Two weeks ago Mark Webber announced to quit as Red Bull Racing Formula 1 driver at the end of the current 2013 season. Lets pay a special tribute to Mark before I continue.

Races
207 (204 starts)

Championships

Wins

Podiums

Career points

Pole positions

Fastest laps

First race
2002 Australian Grand Prix

First win
2009 German Grand Prix

Last win
2012 British Grand Prix

Raced for : Minardi, Jaguar, BMW Williams, Williams and Red Bull.

Before racing for Red Bull, Mark managed to pick up one podium with Williams. With Red Bull he picked up 9 Race Wins, and 36 Podiums since 2007, and he could easily add to that before the end of the season!

In 2014, this seat will become available. Let's have a look at some possible outcomes.

Daniel Ricciardo (24) - 21 Career Points, 5 Retirements, Best Position: 7th

The Australian has been very consistent with his recent performances. He has slightly more experience then Vergne, but compared to other possibilities, it might not be the time to bring him up. It all depends on whether Red Bull want to push their young talent from their Toro Rosso team.

Jean-Eric Vergne (23) - 29 Career Points, 7 Retirements, Best Position: 6th

When Vergne is on form, he is really quick. However he seems to run into trouble more then Ricciardo, and his qualifying performances are not as strong. This is perhaps nothing more but inexperience. His team mate had an extra season, racing in a much slower HRT, therefore he has been more able to adapt to the Toro Rosso.

Both options are definite possibilities. They want somebody who could learn from Vettel, but they would surely be a "Number Two" driver. It could become really competitive if either of the Toro Rosso drivers adapt to the race winning car in the coming years to challenge Vettel.

Let's move onto a much more exciting combination. Vettel/Raikkonen.

Kimi Raikkonen (33)

Races
186 (184 starts)

Championships
1 (2007)

Wins

Podiums

Career points

Pole positions

Fastest laps

The "Iceman" is a good friend of Vettel off the track, but could they co-exist in the same team?

It would be similar to the situation Alonso and Hamilton had in McLaren. Two World Champions in the same team, fighting it out over the campaign, it may end up in one of the most intriguing team-mate battles in the history of F1.

Red Bull know that Mercedes has a strong lineup with Hamilton and Rosberg, and by recruiting Raikkonen onboard, Red Bull may be in a much stronger position to dominate for years to come. With two of the quickest drivers on the grid in their team, it would be almost impossible to beat them in the Constructors, because they are extremely consistent in terms of no retirements.

In a pure business sense, it would be risky, but all round a huge boost to the team and its success so far. Vettel may have to respect his team mate a lot, he won't be asking him to "get out of the way". Kimi has a no-nonsense attitude, and that is probably why Vettel and Kimi are friends, they are pretty alike in a number of ways.

If Red Bull sign Kimi, the other teams would be in horror, and so would any Ferrari/Mclaren/Mercedes/Lotus fans. Unstoppable duo.

Let's move onto some other possible candidates.

Paul Di Resta (27) - 109 Career Points, 3 Retirements, Best Position: 4th (x2)

Young Paul is a driver who very early on made his mark. He outperforms the car on a regular basis, and as of late, has been very close to podiums.

He raced hard with Hamilton in Silverstone, and showed that he has what it takes to battle with the big names up front. He is maturing as a race driver every race he enters. You can tell his frustration at times. He wants to get some glory, he wants to begin adding milestones to his career, and without a doubt, if he could get into a Red Bull, he would become a real threat for podiums on a regular basis.

Nico Hulkenburg (25) - 91 Career Points, 1 Pole Position, 1 Fastest Lap, 7 Retirements, Best Position: 4th

Although nobody has mentioned this man in terms of the seat, personally I wouldn't overlook him.

He is ready to jump from one team to another as it suits. Nico took a risk by joining Sauber, and it ended up being the wrong decision. He has put in some great results for different teams, and even lead the race in two separate Brazilian GPs.

Being a young German like Vettel, a combination of the two could be totally natural. Hulkenburg would be the number two driver, but I am sure Vettel would be more willing to mentor a fellow German driver then anybody else.

Let's have a look at the final possibility.

Jenson Button (33)

Races
239 (236 starts)

Championships
1 (2009)

Wins

Podiums

Career points

Pole positions

Fastest laps

Jenson Buttons career has seen many ups and downs. He went through a really bad time with Honda, and then out of nowhere, Brawn GP gave him a super car that would dominate the field in 2009. With McLaren, he never quite posed a threat to the title like Hamilton did. When Jenson has a great car underneath him, he will deliver consistently, and his wet weather pace is something even Vettel could be jealous of. He is somewhat similar to Webber, in the fact that he will race hard, but has never been as quick as other World Champions like Raikkonen or Alonso.

So now he sits in a McLaren team that not only lost Hamilton, but all the pace they are used too. Surely he would have to be tempted to move on? I am certain that Jenson would make a suitable team mate for Vettel, they would be very professional with one another.

My Choices

Personally, I would like to show who I believe should get Webber's seat and why.

1. Jenson Button - He's british, and so am I! Also I think his style and composure would help the team a lot.

2. Kimi Raikkonen - Just for the fun! A Raikkonen vs Vettel battle for the World title in the same car would be really exciting.

3. Nico Hulkenburg - He has a wise head on his shoulders. Nico would probably adapt to the team better then anybody, and very keen to learn and pick up podiums.

4. Paul Di Resta - Paul dropped under Nico because of his frustration, however he is very determined. I believe he is better then the Toro Rosso guys.

5. Daniel Ricciardo - He is more consistent then Vergne and that is what you need. Also has slightly more experience, but probably not enough to adapt to a Red Bull right away.

6. Jean-Eric Vergne - I would be disappointed with this choice. Vergne is too inexperienced, and although he has shown some quality, it's not his time yet.

What are your choices? Comment with yours below!
View the Post on the Blog

Vettel had issues with Webber and he is probably the nicest guy in the world. Imagine what would happen with Kimi. Its perfectly clear that Vettel is No1 driver for Red Bull. I dont think Kimi can settle for second. I would love to see Vergne he is a skillful driver :)

Vettel had issues with Webber and he is probably the nicest guy in the world. Imagine what would happen with Kimi. Its perfectly clear that Vettel is No1 driver for Red Bull. I dont think Kimi can settle for second. I would love to see Vergne he is a skillful driver :)

Webber is the furthest thing from the nicest guy in the world I've ever seen in F1. Vettel may not always be a team player, but Webber is even less so.

On Topic: I believe Ricciardo will get it. He's upped his game immensely since Webber announced his move.

Seb has said he has no problems with Kimi joining the team in 2014. Interesting.

On the other hand Red Bull has a sister team for a reason so it would be good practice to forward Ricciardo or Vergne as the natural replacement for Webber and free up a space for a newcomer in the junior team.

Much like they did with Vettel back then. It'd make sense and I think Ricciardo and, especially, Vergne have proven they're up for the task.

You have forgotten the most (un)likely candidate.

The man. The legend.

Narain Karthikeyan! :confused:

And thus, a "wonderful" team is born. Cucumber and Finger-boy!

Now seriously, I'm not sure if Red Bull would benefit from having 2 alpha drivers in the team, that rarely works.

You have forgotten the most (un)likely candidate.

The man. The legend.

Narain Karthikeyan! :confused:

And thus, a "wonderful" team is born. Cucumber and Finger-boy!

Now seriously, I'm not sure if Red Bull would benefit from having 2 alpha drivers in the team, that rarely works.

They have that now. The difference is, Seb and Kimi are friends off the track too.

Seb has said he has no problems with Kimi joining the team in 2014. Interesting.

On the other hand Red Bull has a sister team for a reason so it would be good practice to forward Ricciardo or Vergne as the natural replacement for Webber and free up a space for a newcomer in the junior team.
Not only that but Kimi also respond to a question for him, if he wanted to drive and Newey designed car he answered like "i have driven his cars before! and maybe i have other plans, so the future will tell"

i think that the stereotypes of Vettel being afraid of Kimi are rubbish and pretty much hate-talking, i think Kimi is actually more afraid of Vettel, cause after all Grosjean if wasnt for his innexperienced driving he is quite fast with the Lotus and yesterday, if wasnt for the SC Kimi would have been nowhere near both Vettel and Grosjean.

I would like to see vergne in the team

and a small mistake to the text, Mclaren since Prost and Senna never had two champions in one team until 3 years after Hamilton and Alonso separated, it was Button and Hamilton.

In 2007 only Champ was Alonso :)

It is so weird how in 2007 there was only one champion and now there are 5 champions! We are watching new history in creation

Being Australian, I'm probably biased when I say that I'd rather Riccardo gets the seat than Vergne. However, this is also not illogical patriotism. As well as Riccardo being more experienced than Vergne, he also does qualify much better. In fact, I think he often over-qualifies the car (i.e. qualifies extremely well, amongst much better cars). Certainly in recent races at least, where he's qualified well inside the top 10 whilst Vergne has been in the lower spots of Q2 (quick disclaimer: I am doing this off memory so I may have some facts wrong here - so don't judge me if they are! :p). Some people may say "Vergne is obviously a better driver than Riccardo because Riccardo always loses spots in the race whilst Vergne gains positions." However, those positions that Riccardo loses are generally to much faster cars.

It's not going to happen by any stretch of the imagination I think but I think Hulkenburg or Di Resta would both be a match for Vettel. Di Resta has proven to be more than capable of beating Vettel in lower formulae and Hulkenburg seems completely unbeatable by anyone. I have slight doubts over Kimi's out and out pace relative to Vettel, as consistent as he is, and I don't think either of the Torro Rosso's are going to set the world alight in a Red Bull.

I just hope Red Bull pick the fastest driver as I'd like to see someone beat Vettel in the same car, just for a change.

For marketing reasons and race consistency I would go for Kimi. Kimi's marketing value for RB is much higher compared to for example other RB junior drivers and Hulkenberg.
Mercedes have two great driver and winning team championship next year could be very difficult without fast race proven drivers who gets good results every race.
Kimi would not go to Red Bull if he would "afraid" Vettel''s speed.

U forgot someone, Felix da Costa, he during he's three or four seasons in the motorsport, have shown that is quick, have courage, and above all have Hands.
For instance he in is first season in World Series by Ranault, in a Arden Caterham, in only four or five race, achieved the 5 first in the championship.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.