Who do IndyCar drivers have to kill to get into F1?

I was looking over the presumptive grid for the upcoming F2 campaign and set a new personal record for head-scratching. Thinking about some guys in IndyCar whose names get batted about as F1 calibur, mainly Colton Herta and Pato O'Ward (I'm sure there are others.) Then I see some names in F2 for whom the dream is clearly dead. I know the FIA points system is what it is, but you can't tell me this is fair or logical. You can't tell me that a prospect with legit F1 hopes like Liam Lawson is better prepared racing against Jehan Daruvala, Roy Nissany or Felipe Drugovich (who I'm sure are fantastically nice people and way better than a chubby 41-year old who has binned the entire ACC car catalogue, let's make that clear) than someone like Herta would be racing against O'Ward or Alex Freaking Palou or Romain Freaking Grosjean or even Callum Freaking Ilott.

I'm not saying this as an IndyCar nut, though I am a fan. I'm saying this as an over-the-top F1 nut who wants to see good drivers on the grid. If American interest is going to be sustained and grown, there have to be some stateside drivers. It just seems the deck is stacked for no good reason.

The bottom line Indy Car drivers are well payed compared to F1 drivers. You can make better money in any American racing league as a medeocore driver. The problem is if you want to go to F1 you need to go to Europe and live there. So you can farmilliarise yourself with the tracks in Europe. So you need to leave home in the Americas to do it when you are young. Where as if you Raced in the USA then you would be close to home. And have more time there between races. And American tracks ted to get nice hot summers and better weather. In England close to most F1 teams it is damp went and windy. But yes F1 needs an American driver, but they have to be good and running in the upper mid pack to front to get fans exited.

The bottom line Indy Car drivers are well payed compared to F1 drivers. You can make better money in any American racing league as a medeocore driver. The problem is if you want to go to F1 you need to go to Europe and live there. So you can farmilliarise yourself with the tracks in Europe. So you need to leave home in the Americas to do it when you are young. Where as if you Raced in the USA then you would be close to home. And have more time there between races. And American tracks ted to get nice hot summers and better weather. In England close to most F1 teams it is damp went and windy. But yes F1 needs an American driver, but they have to be good and running in the upper mid pack to front to get fans exited.
This is a good point if only because Michael Andretti's choice to stay in the states was his downfall in F1 (yes I am that old.) But if I'm Colton Herta, I could probably convince the wife and kids that Monaco is nice.

Yes it is true. I was born in England now i live in Canada. I had to change and adapt to my new life whitch was easy for me. But for some people adapting to a new language and new customs and ways of doing things is hard. You have to be willing to evolve as a person to make it work.

Who would you actually put in there, Dixon? lol He is tooo old and too well paid tog et into f1, maybe a Herta or someone, but none of them show anywhere near enough tog et into f1

Initial reaction is why would they want to - unless they can parachute into a top team they will not be racing for podiums. It would be more fun to be in a more fair and competitive series that Indycar is at the moment... but it will be interesting to see how the new F1 cars go....

perhaps it's just a matter of time and the $ and liberty media deal and there will be an all american dropped into one of the dominant team seats in the Flx or er Fl I mean that not so new logo still looks like an A to me...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.