Which triple monitor setup/VR

Pretty new to Sim Racing, working my way up from PS5, currently have a DD1 and V3 pedals and enjoy F1 2022 mainly but wanting to make the jump to PC. Don’t want to get a middle of the road setup and then upgrade later so what’s the best triple set up to go for or should I go for VR?

Thanks

Depends on your PC spec really. Many people underestimate how good of a PC you need for VR sim racing and a consistent plug and play experience.

If you haven't tried VR before then I'd see if you know anyone who has one to try it out such as an Oculus Quest 2 with regular VR games and then see if you enjoyed the experience and that it works for you.

Triples is good if you want to jump on your rig anytime and if you want to be serious at competitive racing more than trying to simulate an immersive experience.

For me I ditched my triples as soon as I tried VR I couldn't go back, for other they stuck with triples for convenience factor

Last edited:
If you opt for triples, 1080p 27-in and 32-in monitors should be large enough for good immersion and 1080p able to be work well with a 1080ti or 2080ti which might not be able to run 1440p at high settings.

You need to ask yourself how much realism do you want.

If you have a Micro Center store nearby, you might be able to try a triple monitor setup with Thrustmaster peripherals like they have at their Overland Park, KS, store.

• Deleted member 197115

Depends on your PC spec really. Many people underestimate how good of a PC you need for VR sim racing and a consistent plug and play experience.
This, not to mention time spent learning and tweaking things to get acceptable performance (some enjoy it though).
Ultrawide monitors like Samsung G9 can be easier to setup and drive alternative to triple screen setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for triples, just a hasslefree experience and quite immersive.

The only downsides I can see is space requirements (my 27" triples with aprox. 60° angle need about 1,4m in width) and you need a sturdy monitor stand.

I went from rig mounted to freestanding to spare the monitors the vibrations from my tactile.

If your rig is immobile and still rig mounted monitor holders are a great option.

MFG Carsten

So I'm narrowed down the triples, either 27 or 32. I'll be building a high end PC, so will be capable of 120+hz and 1440p+ any recommendations on which monitor to go for? I'm edging towards the iiyama G-MASTER GB3266QSU-B1, but not sure whether curved is the right choice, so many conflicting statements.

Unless you want to be part of a super exclusive niche of a niche of a niche like me who ran Nvidia 3D Vision on triple 27" 1440p screens for years (up until a month ago), ditch the idea of triples and go with VR and get a Pimax 8K X and the best graphics card you can afford.

3D / stereoscopic vision (be it Nvidia 3D Vision, VR, or whatever) obliterates every thing else. It obliterates the upgrade to higher res, to HDR, to local dimming, to a curved screen, or whatever other graphics/monitor feature/tech upgrade you can think of.

I made to myself the same question. I will end up going for VR since I already have the Meta Quest 2, but what I would suggest is to start by getting a good rig first if you don't already, which I believe may not be your case since you already have a high end DD.

I will be alternating between my Quest 2 and Single 27" monitor (mounted to my desk I am able to extend the arm when I place my rig in front of it), and I will be running the radar from racelab apps and crew chief spotter.

give this video a watch, you may find something interesting.

Last edited:
... ditch the idea of triples and go with VR and get a Pimax 8K X and the best graphics card you can afford.
I love VR, but for many people it causes nausea over longer sessions. It's definitely something that can improve on over time, but to jump right in as the main option could lead to regret for some.

318DAC70-FD1B-4EDB-AFC2-8E4A59BDB1D8.jpeg
61548A5C-BCC9-4BC3-9800-A7A73E3353D6.jpeg

So screens roughly fitted. Still no PC so it’ll be a while before I get to set them up properly and decide whether or not to purchase the bezel free kit. I’ve got a PC build in mind, just need to decide whether to wait a few weeks for the 13900k or just go 12900k. I’m thinking if I wait that hopefully the extra cost of the 13900 and 790 motherboard will be slightly offset by a discounted 3090 ti (with the 4090 having been release by then.

I love VR, but for many people it causes nausea over longer sessions. It's definitely something that can improve on over time, but to jump right in as the main option could lead to regret for some.
I jumped in as the only option as I didn't have room for triples. I got terrible nausea straight away and seriously 'regretted my decision' and considered selling my headset to get a small monitor. I stuck with it, some more and quite quickly got over it. I can go for hours now having barely been able to stomach 10 mins.

Thing is, had I had triples, I wouldn't have done the work required to build resistance and get over the nausea and would have been stuck with that glass ceiling. I feel that happens a lot here. People have a bad experience and write it off.

Honestly - I think its worth the pain for the gain.

View attachment 606009View attachment 606010

So screens roughly fitted. Still no PC so it’ll be a while before I get to set them up properly and decide whether or not to purchase the bezel free kit. I’ve got a PC build in mind, just need to decide whether to wait a few weeks for the 13900k or just go 12900k. I’m thinking if I wait that hopefully the extra cost of the 13900 and 790 motherboard will be slightly offset by a discounted 3090 ti (with the 4090 having been release by then.
If you want to save money and get equal or possibly even better performance, get a Z690 board (my favorite is the MSI Z690 Edge DDR4, if you don't CPU overclock hard then the MSI Pro Z690-A), a 2x 16 GB kit of dual-rank B-Die DDR4 RAM (1/3 or 1/2 the price of a top-end DDR5 kit and just as fast), and a 13700KF. If you want to race now then just buy a cheap 12th gen CPU on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace like an i3-12100F - it's a great CPU for cheap ($95 - $105 brand new). Then sell it for about the same you paid for it and plop a 13700K / 13900K / 13900KS in it and be set for years. Most likely won't gain anything going to Z790.

If you don't like waiting a long time between CPU upgrades then just skip 14th gen (Meteor Lake) and upgrade when 15th gen (Arrow Lake) comes out. Till then, you'll have a blazing fast, cutting-edge system while saving a hell of a lot going with Z690 and DDR4, If you want to save even more, get a 13700KF. It still has the same amount of p-cores as the 13900-series anyways.

Last edited:
If you want to save money and get equal or possibly even better performance, get a Z690 board (my favorite is the MSI Z690 Edge DDR4, if you don't CPU overclock hard then the MSI Pro Z690-A), a 2x 16 GB kit of dual-rank B-Die DDR4 RAM (1/3 or 1/2 the price of a top-end DDR5 kit and just as fast), and a 13700KF. If you want to race now then just buy a cheap 12th gen CPU on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace like an i3-12100F - it's a great CPU for cheap ($95 - $105 brand new). Then sell it for about the same you paid for it and plop a 13700K / 13900K / 13900KS in it and be set for years. Most likely won't gain anything going to Z790.

If you don't like waiting a long time between CPU upgrades then just skip 14th gen (Meteor Lake) and upgrade when 15th gen (Arrow Lake) comes out. Till then, you'll have a blazing fast, cutting-edge system while saving a hell of a lot going with Z690 and DDR4, If you want to save even more, get a 13700KF. It still has the same amount of p-cores as the 13900-series anyways.
I ordered a Z790 ASUS ROG Maximus Hero a few days ago as it seemed like a decent price (£490) Amazon have a pre prime sale on the 10th and 11th so going to see if I can get a deal on any of the other parts I have in my basket. So should I just go for a 13700kf instead of the 13900?

I was planning on 2x16GB Corsair Vengence DDR5 6000Mhz CL40 or 5600Mhz CL36 1x2TB Corsair MP600 or WD SN850
A Corsair H150i LCD AIO
A corsair 5000D airflow tower
Finally a Corsair HX1200 PSU

Does that sound okay?

I ordered a Z790 ASUS ROG Maximus Hero a few days ago as it seemed like a decent price (£490) Amazon have a pre prime sale on the 10th and 11th so going to see if I can get a deal on any of the other parts I have in my basket. So should I just go for a 13700kf instead of the 13900?

I was planning on 2x16GB Corsair Vengence DDR5 6000Mhz CL40 or 5600Mhz CL36 1x2TB Corsair MP600 or WD SN850
A Corsair H150i LCD AIO
A corsair 5000D airflow tower
Finally a Corsair HX1200 PSU

Does that sound okay?
I hate to be negative as I'm sure you're excited for your new parts but I also have to be honest, some of those parts are quite poor in terms of value for what you paid for and compared to other options:

1. 490 British pounds, around $550 USD, for just a motherboard alone is just ridiculous. You could have spent 1/3 - 1/2 of that on a Z690 board, or a B660 board or a B760, unless you want to overclock the CPU then you'd need a "Z" board (in which case, I'd get get a killer Z690 board for wayyyyyy less than 490 GBP). Furthermore, the ROG Maximus Hero is a very high-end, very over-priced board, and offers nothing and is and a complete waste of money for 99.999% of people including the vast-majority of overclockers.

2. I bet that DDR5 didn't come cheap either for performance that's almost certainly slower than cheaper, DDR4, dual-rank, B-die.

3. The Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 AIO offers superior cooling to the Corsair unit, a 7 or 8 year warranty, and costs a nice chunk less, even half the price depending on which store's prices you look at.

4. Corsair 5000D. A pretty good case but weak cooling out of the box however it does have room for better cooling but pretty average at stock, especially for it's steep price (around $200 - $250 USD).

5. HX1200. Nice PSU. Great performance. Totally fair price in line with other mid-high to high end PSUs of the same performance, quality, and wattage.

Last edited:
Thanks Spinelli, apart from the Motherboard and CPU (13900KF) I'm still to buy most of the parts so if you can recommend anything else let me know, i.e. a better case?

You're welcome and sorry again for the negativity and bluntness.

Are you able to cancel the orders or tell the store that you'd simply like to switch your order for a different product?

If you're mostly gaming, the 13700xx will give you like 95 - 100 % the gaming performance of the 13900xx. The additional e-cores on the 13900xx will make highly multithreaded workloads, like productivity stuff, faster (video rendering, advanced image editing, compression, etc.) but even a lot of that stuff won't always see a benefit as they sometimes mostly rely on the GPU to do the work rather than the CPU. The amount of p-cores, e-cores, and total threads is still plenty on the 13700xx.

If you're getting the K / KF model, then I'm assuming you're planning on overclocking them in which case you need a Z690 or Z790 board to do so but, again, I'd try and cancel the pre-order for that particular motherboard as 490 GBP for a board is, by far, the worst value out of all the parts you picked. I'd personally pick a Z690 board as the Z790 boards are going to be over-priced - even the ones less expensive than that Asus one - and the Z790 boards basically offer no improved performance over Z690.

Z790 boards are basically Z690 boards with jacked-up pricing. The feature upgrades are minimal. Kind of a joke to be honest. I see an MSI Z690 Edge DDR4 board for about 250 - 255 GPB. It'll give you identical CPU performance to that double-the-price Z790 board. Good DDR4 b-die RAM will give you better framerates and 1% lows than most DDR5 kits. I saw a FrameChasers video where he had DDR5 that won't be out for a long while still - 7600 MHz CL 32 (via contacts from China) - and even that only beat high-end DDR4 by like 1 - 5 %. DDR5 is still pretty bad for gaming especially considering the price.

DDR4 4000 VS DDR5 6800. The REAL STORY.

DDR5 7600 VS DDR4 4000, THE FINALE. BENCHMARKED MAX OVERCLOCK

The cooler is easy: Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 AIO. They have them in all sizes, 240 mm, 280, 360, even 420 (the corsair you picked is a 360).

The 5000D airflow, honestly, even if the GPU runs a bit hot in it, it's not going to make much difference besides the fans running a lil faster/louder and/or the GPU clocking down a little but so little that you won't notice a difference in games. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always add some cheap (but good) fans, like Arctic P12 fans, that can help. Especially if you can find it for it's MSRP of around $165 USD (I've seen it inflated to $250 USD at some stores lately which I think is way too much).

That case, is honestly the last thing I'd worry about in terms of what you're getting for your money with the motherboard being the first.

In short, a Z690 board, B-die dual-channel DDR4, 13700K/KF. Now that's a killer system at a killer price that'll perform 99% of games at about the same performance as a Z790 / 13900xx / DDR5 setup. If you like upgrading often, I'd skip Intel 14th gen (Meteor Lake) and upgrade to 15th gen (Arrow Lake) when it comes out (or the AMD equivalent) and at that time also move to DDR5 as kits will perform much better and at much lower costs by then. Hopefully by then we'll have 9,000 - 12,000 MHz kits at decently low latencies.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea