• T818

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CSL DD 8nm

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Moza r9

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
Hi at All,

so right now i am still on my Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara Ferrari Wheel, but it´s time for a entry/medium lvl DD wheel.

As i stll like my current wheel i was almost sure to get the T818. But more videos i watch about the wheel, the more doubts i have. Overheating, strange forces behavior after few month and many more.
Of course as with any product there are also very positive reviews.

As you can see in the header, the wheel has 2 direct competitors. Would be nice to keep my wheel, but if you get the CLS DD base + a 200€ wheel, the price i the same. The Moza is not that good deal, because the wheels are bit too expensive.
I find also Mozas driver a bit overloaded. Sometime less is more. So for real i would like you to say me: Common get the Fanatec or get the Thrusty :)

Appriciate if you guys hekp my with the decision, because of your experiences.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, I voted for the Fanatec, but I did hesitate a bit.... I also don't have any experience of the other two, so you need to consider the vote in that context too.

TL;DR; I recently bought a DD+ based on using my friends DD. We both came from the old G29 and the 8Nm DD is a marked improvement over it. Fanatec customer service seems a bit chaotic though.

To elaborate a little more, I wanted to upgrade from my simagic alpha mini to something I could use on the PS5. I really liked my mate's 8Nm DD so I figured the DD+ would be an option, but I was concerned about Fanatec support. As it happened I got to experience it first hand when dealing with an out-of-warranty replacement controller board for a set of pedals. It took about 10 days from raising the support request to the board arriving at my doorstep, so I ended up taking the plunge.

Last edited:
What about those QR Adapters which are needed. Do those Qr1 do the job up to 8nm or is it mandatory to get a QR2 solution? Read some horrific stories already^^

Btw. I have no plans to switch the wheels ...

What about those QR Adapters which are needed. Do those Qr1 do the job up to 8nm or is it mandatory to get a QR2 solution? Read some horrific stories already^^
My mate has the QR1, I have the QR2. His seems fine in use, but I think there are some tolerance issues with that version so your mileage may vary. The QR2 is pretty robust, probably as robust as my simagic one, which I believe is the same as the one that comes with the Moza.

Out of curiosity, what bundles are you looking at? Only asking because the entry bundles for the R9 are showing a similar price to the 8Nm over in my neck of the woods (UK) with both around £650, so I'm wondering why the R9 is showing up a lot more expensive.

My mate has the QR1, I have the QR2. His seems fine in use, but I think there are some tolerance issues with that version so your mileage may vary. The QR2 is pretty robust, probably as robust as my simagic one, which I believe is the same as the one that comes with the Moza.

Out of curiosity, what bundles are you looking at? Only asking because the entry bundles for the R9 are showing a similar price to the 8Nm over in my neck of the woods (UK) with both around £650, so I'm wondering why the R9 is showing up a lot more expensive.

Yeah the base is within the budget. But the wheel itself blows the budget a bit (Over 720€) And there is unfortunately only one wheel for my likings and it´s looking really toy`ish.

I want a round-style wheel because i am driving from vintage to f1 everything. And the wheel has to be 30cm best. The golden middle. Can´t imagine driving 60s vinatge cars with a f1 style cars.
In case of getting the Thrusmater i would just stay with my current wheel.

In case of getting the Thrusmater i would just stay with my current wheel.
Ok, I wasn't at all familiar with the T818 but watched a few reviews last night and also didn't realise you could buy just the base. If you are already happy with your current wheel and you haven't seen a boat load of negative issues with the T818 base, I'd probably say go for that one for simply one reason: it's more powerful. I suspect it might not just be 1-2Nm either as they are saying the constant force, not just the peak.

Going from my alpha mini, which was rated at 10Nm (claimed max, but I suspect it was really the sustained), to the CS DD+ at 15Nm sustained made me realise I was clipping like crazy running my old wheel too high on the older cars as I wanted the steering forces to be represented as well as my gear would allow. I think you also like running the old stuff right?

Last edited:
Right but Like said not only - just everything on 4 wheels

Next question is - do I want more power?
Sorry didn’t mention in before but I am on my good old table. No room right now for a rig.
And I think about 8nM could be already too much …
I’m otherwise I saw some negative Long term reviews but it’s like with everything in the web. People mostly complaining about things

Mike from sm sim6o4 fe. had a very positive review of the T818

So i still really don’t what do ☹️

Honestly, I don't think you can make a bad decision from the options you have. It's likely going to be minor niggles or you get unlucky with something that develops a fault.

I can say from experience that the CSL DD 8Nm is a nice bit of kit for the money. The others I have to rely on the same reviews you have likely already seen.

I 'd offer my spare simagic alpha mini as a try before you buy too, but that doesn't have a table clamp....

Problem with t818 is it’s Thrustmaster first DD wheel so teething troubles can occur.
While the CSL DD is already few years on the market and popular.
But fanatec seems also not be the holy grail in all terms ….
And then comes Moza which seems interesting but I just know nothing about it

Sooo i have ordered the Fanatec yesterday. Thank you the 6 guys voting. Especially to GeekyDeaks.
Result was each 3 for the Moza and the Fanatec, while the Thrustmaster got no vote.
With all parts needed the Moza´s cost would be 100€+ so i decided just reasonable for the CSL DD.

Additionally i have to say with over 1Million registered members (am i right)? the will to help within the community used to be much better years ago. ;) Bit disappointing (and that doesn´t just apply this thread).

Nice one! I think you will be very pleased with the upgrade from the T300. Out of curiosity, which wheel did you go for?

Additionally i have to say with over 1Million registered members (am i right)? the will to help within the community used to be much better years ago. ;) Bit disappointing (and that doesn´t just apply this thread).
I sometimes think the number of users can be a bit of a double edged sword when the activity is high. I seem to find myself missing things of interest that don't appear in the first page of 'New posts' more frequently than when I first joined.

Nice one! I think you will be very pleased with the upgrade from the T300. Out of curiosity, which wheel did you go for?
Well i got the only one which was 30" like i wanted to have, and fitting into my budget.

These bundel here:

R 300 (30cm) + CSL Universal HUB v2

1711616955250.png

I wished i had the Alcantara Version, because i like it at my current wheel, but these was 33cm. Those bigger wheels needs more nM.

Last edited:
I use this thread because I'm stuck in the same situation than OP. I came from a t150 that serve me well for about 10 years, I had to open it like 2 years ago because of the left Gear lever and I repair It.
Now I have some money and I wanted to buy something more serious so I in the search I fall in love with thrustmaster t818 and SF1000 wheel (I'm italian and huge Ferrari fan). But, as the OP I Watched tons of review and threads and there's something that scare me about to spent 1000euro on that base...BUT I didnt trust neither others two brand:
- FANATEC because actual economic situation and the shipment problem, although there is some very good discount on their bundles
- MOZA because It seems to have some support problem (which is so important to me, at this range of price)

So the questions are:
The OP receive the Fanatec that he buy?
What do you suggest me to do thinking that I have T3PA and TH8A and sim only on PC?
Thank you

I use this thread because I'm stuck in the same situation than OP. I came from a t150 that serve me well for about 10 years, I had to open it like 2 years ago because of the left Gear lever and I repair It.
Now I have some money and I wanted to buy something more serious so I in the search I fall in love with thrustmaster t818 and SF1000 wheel (I'm italian and huge Ferrari fan). But, as the OP I Watched tons of review and threads and there's something that scare me about to spent 1000euro on that base...BUT I didnt trust neither others two brand:
- FANATEC because actual economic situation and the shipment problem, although there is some very good discount on their bundles
- MOZA because It seems to have some support problem (which is so important to me, at this range of price)

So the questions are:
The OP receive the Fanatec that he buy?
What do you suggest me to do thinking that I have T3PA and TH8A and sim only on PC?
Thank you
Hi,

i received my stuff about two weeks after ordering them. I am using the T-LCM pedals and TH8A shifter now with the CSL DD 8nM wheel.
It´s hard to say what i would suggest you to do... really hard. My first experiences after 2 weeks was:

- base is much smoother,precise, less noisy, waaay stonger (Even much too strong for my purposes).
- The wheel i orderer is 30cm what i wanted but kind of very thin. I don´t like that. My old TM Ferrari Alcantara wheel felt much better in the hands. Will upgrade here some day for sure.
- My experience with games so far, as they are: AC, rF2, AMS2, R3E, EA WRC, LeMans, Forza Motors.

AC
If a car/mod felt good with the T300 it now feels great, if it felt just OK, probably now it feels bad.
My first Direct drive experience shows that due the direct physics without any filters the good made cars benefit even more, but the bad mods shows all there flaws more than i was experiencing with a T300.
I also feel have problems feeling mid-corner oversteer. Probably must get used to it.

rF2
Yeah like above some cars feels great (Porsche992, Mini, GT3, GTE) other (older ones or mods) has terrible spikes which let nearly my desk jump around even i reduce ffb way down. Some of them has even become unplayable. Thats a rF2 problem while the overall ffb is set nearly too much down, you still will feel horribly strong spikes (Even eith linear ffb and more filter settings than usual).
A stabile rig would be good to have at this point.

AMS2
Shines with the DD wheel now. Nothing to complain, much better than before

R3E
Fells good, not that much difference than before, but also no problems like rF2

EA WRC
Tweaking needed, but after that the positive suprise. Feels absolutely great with DD

LeMans
Much improvement in comparsision to rF2. Much more balanced ffb - feels very good.

Forza Mot.
Needs some special settings/tweaks tahn it becomes relativly good playable with DD. Was unplayable for me with T300 before

So whats the conclusion?

Yeah as i am on a desk and i don´t like fighting with a heavy wheel (like subtile ffb), i just don´t need the extra power of a DD. Yes harsh curbs are really nice, but those sudden brutal hits (mostly rF2) are more stressing than fun. So i have to reduce things way down anyway in every sim i play.

The more details eveyone is always speaking are very track depending or just the case if you´re on a fastspeed corner, where my old T300 would began to clip heavyly. Beside that just the feeling for under or oversteer was not much worse on the T300.

I still appriciate the precision, smoothness, generaly the overal feel. Yes it´s greater but worth the extra money? Probably yes becuase there are some good offers right now, where you got a DD pack for under 1000€.
But under some circumstances you could be also bit disappointed.

So if you have a solid rig you`re good to go, otherwise a wheel like T300 still do the job (but yeah, nowdays i would go for a DD anyway)

Btw. You´re on a T150 so the improvement you´l feel will be definetly better. All together said: Is a DD a must have ? For me NO, but nicer to have YES.

Sorry my post probably makes you even more unsure than before :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back