which GPU is best for AC?

Some additional info. My previous card from AMD the HD 6990 died after 2.5 years, just outside of warranty go figure..
I have to admit I owned an AMD card myself, a HD6950 from Sapphire in fact, and I must say this has done exactly the same thing, it failed just less than 2 and a half year after buying, so just about to get a GTX 660 and AMD will need a lot of time to regain my trust once again. So yes, be aware of this if anyone is thinking of an AMD card, though it may have just been a HD69XX or even HD6XXX flaw, I'm unsure, but I'm sure of one thing, the GTX 660 is about to arrive on Monday or Tuesday and can't wait for it as I'm using a backup in a form of a nVidia GT240 which is sub-par for gaming

three days ago i bought a new pc with GTX780 and i was especially looking forward to AC
i also race on triplescreens, albeit vga monitors with a triplehead2go in resolution 3760x1024 and i can say i never seen such marvel! Everything ultra (where possible) and it still kicks ass

Even in event with 23 cars, no fps drop
However! I do get poor fps in replays, don't know why but maybe it's AC beta status to blame

Two days later i got Battlefield 4 and same here, everything maxed out and fluent as you like, again res 3760x1024

That is the max resolution for vga monitors in triplehead, sadly enough

So do what you will, but the GTX780 is very very good

Yeah, I tried a multi screen setup with my mix of monitors (1920x1200 & 1920x1080) and my 460GTX pushed 3d to them fine. If AC explicitly supported 2-screen setups I'd probably try to run that way all the time, no room on my desk for a third one and the videocard only supports 2, so 3 just means a bunch of wasted rendering and apps being on the invisible third screen. Two would give me a decent enough left/right half of the windscreen view.

big problem with that is the middle of screen beeing blocked ,,1 or 3 is great ,,2 sucks

here you can see

I have seen somewhere a 3 srceens setup and was so great made that there was no space between the monitors...How?
get 3 or even 2 monitors identical,with verry tiny edge,remove the plastic case,put monitors together and make a custom case to colse them both in one....there is stil a small line where the monitor meet but not that huge.
Something like this or better...
dsc00988tb.jpg

There are some ultra thin bezel monitors out there, I recall Samsung announcing them some time ago, but they are expensive.

But basically it comes down to removing the casing, which of course voids warranty, exposes stuff, etc. Personally I don't really mind the bezels on my setup. I mostly focus on the center screen, with the side screens providing peripheral vision for greater immersion and awareness on the track.

big problem with that is the middle of screen beeing blocked ,,1 or 3 is great ,,2 sucks
Yeah, I wouldn't use it on a single seater... more like the left 2 monitors in the picture Dinca Andrei posted, with the wheel near-center on one of them. Enough to see the full dashboard and all mirrors; although that has a way wider FOV than I ever use cause mine are smaller.

Removing the bezel also tends to give you buttons like this...

Not the worst thing to have to deal with if you remember what they do, I guess. (I took it apart cause the backlight was failing). Nothing else was really excessively exposed; just a metal case on the backside, which is what the stand mounted to.

and how about that reaction latency? I read somewhere that they are slower
is'n this an important factor for racing games?

As I recall the reaction latency was an issue when LCD's first started coming out. It's a result of "response time" and the early LCD's had an issue referred to as ghosting, which can also be described as seeing tracers in game. TN panels by far have the fastest response time, as low as 1ms I've seen. My panels are rated at 8ms (gray to gray), and I have never had an issue with ghosting. So use that as a baseline.

When it comes down to it though, IPS will give you better vertical viewing angles only. So unless you are positioning your monitors in a vertical orientation, this won't be an issue for you. When it comes to colour accuracy, unless you are a graphics professional, or a photographer reviewing lots of digital photo's from your SLR, again it probably won't be an issue for you.

My advise is focus primarily on your PC and Graphics card. IPS panels are nice, but are luxury. If the budget is the difference between a faster graphics card, or IPS displays. I would go for the faster graphics card hands down.

Stricte for AC pick w/e card u would like. But in general I think AMD are better because most games are console ports and in consoles u have AMD parts inside. I guess in near future AMD might be in lead in graphic processing because of it's core with "Mantle" inside.
This Mantle thing is waiting for the first game to support it, but I'm optimistic about it :D
from AMD and Oxide - Mantle demo.

Stricte for AC pick w/e card u would like. But in general I think AMD are better because most games are console ports and in consoles u have AMD parts inside. I guess in near future AMD might be in lead in graphic processing because of it's core with "Mantle" inside.
This Mantle thing is waiting for the first game to support it, but I'm optimistic about it :D
from AMD and Oxide - Mantle demo.

xbox uses Amd ,,playstation uses Nvidea

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/NVIDIAinPS3.htm

Not true, both Xbone and PS4 use AMD. Nvidia has been completely locked out of the console market.

However, we have yet to see if there is any benefit to Mantle at all on the PC (I have heard all of the hype). I'm pretty sure it won't affect AC as well. Team green has their own set of development tools very widely used in the PC side as well. So it really simply comes down to the title, and what the developer choose to use.

I for one, could care less about console ports. AC was developed for the PC, and only the PC..

As of right now, the 290X and the GTX780Ti are equal performers. However nvidia does it at with lower thermals, power consumption, and sound profile despite a higher cost. I have no ill feelings towards AMD. Competition is great and benefits the consumer, and to be fair, they are the ones keeping nVidia honest and their pricing reasonable.

I have experience running both AMD eyefinity, and nVidia surround with AC in triple screen. They both performed excellent. My preference goes to nVidia though. I think their surround setup is better, and the build quality of the card and reference cooling system is superior to AMD. for me It was worth the $100 more, and I have confidence the chance of failure is much lower.

Saul, you mentioned that Nvidea surround has no need for a displayport, right?
so eyefinity does need a displayport, but doesn't a displayport provide better quality?
or is this just a ridiculous assumption? (like I said: I'm a noooob)

Correct, nvidia does not require a displayport to configure surround.

I just checked into the AMD eyefinity. On previous generation cards you needed to use at least one displayport or an active adapter was necessary. This is no longer the case, you can now use any combination of ports for eyefinity setup as well on the new generation of cards.

No, displayport doesn't provide better quality.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 48 54.5%