What to buy? Fanatec CSW or T500RS

I'm thinking to buy CSW base with the gt2 rim and the v2 pedals, I'm actualy between this and the T500 RS, but I have found reports for bad reliability on fanatec products but there are all 1 year ago. Is there any new feedback on this? Have they fixed the problems or they are still there?

I've been following that thread for a while also. It was the reason I went ahead and got the CSW line. hope they get to a drop in replacement solution.

I've made some posts on that thread also and to me it looks more like they are modding just for the sake of modding and showing off their technical abilities. It's also clearly a business opportunity for the most active guy on that thread.

Seems like they are modding 95% of the time :roflmao:

Maybe they should get a proper exercise machine to work their arms instead of having a super strong FFB :D

It's a hilarious read though :roflmao:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the temps inside the motor cans is much higher than the air coming off the heatsink. That's where the damage occurs to the windings, brushes and magnets. Running cool air directly through the motor cans has been shown to improve cooling and reliability - even with the stock motors. Chances are, if the motors get hot enough to create the smell - heat damage to the motors is occurring. By the time you realize there might be an issue, the damage is already done.

The damage can occur very fast in extreme cases or it can be cumulative and take longer. It depends on the particular motors and how they are used.

Well I have a basic knowledge of physics and I know that heat travels upwards.

How come the housing above (and around) the motors are cool ? Shouldnt that get hot also ?

I don't think it is isolated as a nuclear power plant :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Tobbe Bergman, you seem intent on discrediting the work Eric is doing and anyone having issues with their wheel. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, to say that thread is about modding for the sake of modding and profit is ludicrous in my opinion. Even if he is profiting from the work he is doing - so what? He is helping people keep their CSW/CSR-E working and even improving them in the absense of Fanatec providing better solutions. More power to him I say. He will likely have more orders than he can possibly fill for a long time to come. Find a need and fill it. Clearly, the need exists.

Upvote 0
Well I have a basic knowledge of physics and I know that heat travels upwards.

How come the housing above (and around) the motors are cool ? Shouldnt that get hot also ?

I don't think it is isolated as a nuclear power plant :D
If the housing isn't in direct contact (I don't own the wheel), it doesn't have to be hot. Air is used as a thermal insulator (see double pane windows as an example), i.e. it doesn't conduct heat very well.

Upvote 0
I've made some posts on that thread also and to me it looks more like they are modding just for the sake of modding and showing off their technical abilities. It's also clearly a business opportunity for the most active guy on that thread.

Seems like they are modding 95% of the time :roflmao:

Maybe they should get a proper exercise machine to work their arms instead of having a super strong FFB :D

It's a hilarious read though :roflmao:
< mod edit: dont need to get personal here>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@Tobbe Bergman, you seem intent on discrediting the work Eric is doing and anyone having issues with their wheel. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, to say that thread is about modding for the sake of modding and profit is ludicrous in my opinion.
Even if he is profiting from the work he is doing - so what? He is helping people keep their CSW/CSR-E working and even improving them in the absense of Fanatec providing better solutions. More power to him I say. He will likely have more orders than he can possibly fill for a long time to come. Find a need and fill it. Clearly, the need exists.

Well I do believe in the freedom of speech and if I think someone is modding just for the sake of modding I am entitled to say so.

It will be interesting to see if Mr Eric's mods will stand the test of time.

It's also my opinion that i think it's pretty stupid that you think it's ludicrous that I think Mr Eric is modding just for the sake of modding.

Upvote 0
Well I do believe in the freedom of speech and if I think someone is modding just for the sake of modding I am entitled to say so.

It will be interesting to see if Mr Eric's mods will stand the test of time.

It's also my opinion that i think it's pretty stupid that you think it's ludicrous that I think Mr Eric is modding just for the sake of modding.
Where did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion? As for the mod standing the test of time, if you read the thread you would know that this mod has already been in use for more than a year with recent motor inspections showing that the Buhler's are holding up well, even without the additional cooling. Do try again please. If you have information to the contrary - by all means, do share. I'm open to the sharing of information on improving our wheels - are you?

As for my opinion being stupid, well - that's your opinion. I'll leave the judgement to others to decide.

Upvote 0
If the housing isn't in direct contact (I don't own the wheel), it doesn't have to be hot. Air is used as a thermal insulator (see double pane windows as an example), i.e. it doesn't conduct heat very well.

Have you ever wondered why the hood on your car gets hot after a long drive ?

Same principal as the CSW !

Hot motor gets the surrounding hot !

It's not exactly rocket science you know !

Upvote 0
Have you ever wondered why the hood on your car gets hot after a long drive ?

Same principal as the CSW !

Hot motor gets the surrounding hot !

It's not exactly rocket science you know !
That's hardly a fair comparison - apples to oranges at best. What' the ambient temperature? Is the sun shining on the hood? How much heat can the electric motor tolerate compared to the combustion engine? What is the thickness and density of the sheet-metal? How big is the engine compared to the electric motor? I can go on and on, if the motors in the CSW are not getting so hot as you seem to suggest, why are there so many failing? Why are there any motor failures at all? Why do so many motors show obvious signs of heat-stress when inspected?

Never mind, don't bother answering. I already know how this works. Hey people, don't look at the evidence, look at the smoke and mirrors. Either you are affiliated with Fanatec, are an extreme fan-boy of Fanatec, or have something against improving/changing the product for some reason. Whatever the case, you may want to consider constructing better arguments to get your point across.

Moving along . . .

Upvote 0
That's hardly a fair comparison - apples to oranges at best. What' the ambient temperature? Is the sun shining on the hood? How much heat can the electric motor tolerate compared to the combustion engine? What is the thickness and density of the sheet-metal? How big is the engine compared to the electric motor? I can go on and on, if the motors in the CSW are not getting so hot as you seem to suggest, why are there so many failing? Why are there any motor failures at all? Why do so many motors show obvious signs of heat-stress when inspected?

Never mind, don't bother answering. I already know how this works. Hey people, don't look at the evidence, look at the smoke and mirrors. Either you are affiliated with Fanatec, are an extreme fan-boy of Fanatec, or have something against improving/changing the product for some reason. Whatever the case, you may want to consider constructing better arguments to get your point across.

Moving along . . .

You're an excellent source for great comedy !

Please do not stop :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys there's no need to get into a flame war here, how about you both agree to disagree.
There's always going to be someone who doesn't agree, that's part of being individuals, life would be as boring as watching paint dry if we all agreed all the time, wouldn't you agree?, lol.

As far as the motor issues are concerned I don't think Fanatec deliberately went out of their way to fit inferior motors, and lets not forget, as a company they were potentially offered a huge discount to buy X amount of motors, only then to discover that the motors were not up to spec, the fact they would of spent a decent sum of Euro's on those motors, it would not be a very smart financial move to just dump them because of random failures.

Smart business practices would determine that they use up the motors, replacing any faulty ones as required by warranty, I would think that a new more reliable motor would of been sourced to replace the original batch once stock ran out, hence motor failures are not as common now as before, and lets face it, motor issues have really been the only thorn in Fanatec's CSW side, and it's not like there has been thousands of complaints, not when you look at the potential sales volume of CSW products, only Fanatec really know the true ratio of failures, and I doubt their going to tell us.

My CSW gear is far better than the G25 I use to use, and OK Ive had a few issues as I have posted prior in this thread, both resolved with no fuss. But the quality of Fanatec gear is better than the competitions offerings in the same price range without doubt.

I think we all need to realise that nothing is perfect, this includes Fanatec CSW line, but given time it will get there, and the only way to get there is through trial and error, sure it's frustrating for us the consumer, but in the end we will have sim-racing gear that is incredibly reliable and reasonably priced.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hey guys, read through this post as I'm looking to get a csw as well. I will tell you my story.

I won a thrustmaster tx wheel at Christmas. Never been a sim racer fan but massive gamer. Usually played racing games on gamer pad. I work in the auto industry and own an Evo 9 myself and I use to do a lot of track days. Now with 3 children my time is after 9 pm so I though building a sim would be great. I used this tx wheel as a starting point and purchased a cockpit. On the 3rd day of using the tx wheel about 15 minutes in and the ffb went real week. About 5 minutes later it overheated. I left it for the night and it was fine the next day. I purchased the th8 shifter while I preordered the css sq and got the gte rim and some csp v2 pedals.

The overheating and fade issue kept happening and it never took long either. There was always a burning smell as well. I had to have the ffb settings turned down.

I kept building up my simulator. 2x dsd adapters for a 350mm sparco deep dish drift wheel and a 310mm sparco race wheel. I purchased also a dsd button box and tilton style pedal pads.

One thing that really bugged me with this base was the rattling it made when any kind of rubble is applied. I pulled the wheel apart and the kinect sensor inside which just clips in, not screw was making most of the noise. What I loved about the wheel was that the belt they are using is a gates belt. There is also in/out play in the wheel also and I couldn't find a way to fix that.

My css sq came in start of February and I converted my th8 into a hand break and welded up my racing rig. I've had plenty of time with all the products and I was about to do my first online race a week ago. That was untill the wheel wouldn't recognise. A common problem with these wheels. Thrustmaster wants me to send it back overseas ( I live in aus ) and I won't see it for a couple of weeks. Fair enough.

Now I've heard these problems could be a small break in the cable. Now fanatec use a simple removable usb cable for all there product that you can buy at any computer shop. Thrustmaster cables are built in. So simple but a problem.

Now in aus it's not as easy to get a tx or t500rs. My closest shop is bout 100km away at gamesmen. Ebgames and Jbhifi only stock basic thrustmaster wheels. Anyways I got a t500 while I wait for my tx to comeback. That way I have a spare pc wheel plus playstation support. 10 laps in of a gtr2 FIFA race and I'm getting ffb fade and the fans are getting loud. 16 laps in and it's overheated. Ffb is still set low and it rattles and has shaft play. I'm going to get a refund and get the csw and both rims as it will be easier to get support for fanatec in aus than thrustmaster. Even when I had real wheels on the base it still felt like a toy with flex. My csp v2 and my css sq came out of the box no problems. Hope my story helped. I will let you know how I go with the csw.

Upvote 0
@Koston82 welcome to world of SIM racing. It sounds like your rig is coming together very nicely. The CSW base and wheel are amazing kit. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The CSW base has issues with the motors dying. I'm in that dilemma now. Also Fanatec customer support is spotty. I've had great interactions with them before. When my bmw wheel rim came the right paddle shifter didn't work. Sent them an email about it and had the replacement part a few days later. now fast forward to my base being dead and I've emailed them several times for any status about my base and haven't heard a word. Beside the week plus of transit to get it shipped to the the opposite corner of my country, it arrived over two weeks ago. I haven't received one update yet, not even confirmation that they received the unit.

To say the least my frustration is very high!

Upvote 0
Do you live in the hot austalian desert or something Koston. I have done 24h endurance with ffb at 100 % on my T500RS with no noticable fade. I say noticable because my arms do get a bit numb after a while.

I would perhaps open the casing and see what fan you got. The older T500RS have a small awful noisy fan which hardly work at all. They replaced that with a new bigger better one I would ask for that one may help a bit. But if your ambient temps are really hot it may not be enough.

Upvote 0
@Koston82 welcome to world of SIM racing. It sounds like your rig is coming together very nicely. The CSW base and wheel are amazing kit. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The CSW base has issues with the motors dying. I'm in that dilemma now. Also Fanatec customer support is spotty. I've had great interactions with them before. When my bmw wheel rim came the right paddle shifter didn't work. Sent them an email about it and had the replacement part a few days later. now fast forward to my base being dead and I've emailed them several times for any status about my base and haven't heard a word. Beside the week plus of transit to get it shipped to the the opposite corner of my country, it arrived over two weeks ago. I haven't received one update yet, not even confirmation that they received the unit.

To say the least my frustration is very high!

I think the good part of what I've heard is fanatec aus is pretty good and I think it's to do with the population it's serving. We are a big country but small population which results in faster turn around. I've read all the posts that the motors die but if I can't get past half an hour of use with my thrustmaster wheels it's a risk I'm willing to take. I'm wondering if it's because my rig is so solid that there's no cushioning. plus the shaft play and the constant rattling and flex takes me out of the game.

Upvote 0
Do you live in the hot austalian desert or something Koston. I have done 24h endurance with ffb at 100 % on my T500RS with no noticable fade. I say noticable because my arms do get a bit numb after a while.

I would perhaps open the casing and see what fan you got. The older T500RS have a small awful noisy fan which hardly work at all. They replaced that with a new bigger better one I would ask for that one may help a bit. But if your ambient temps are really hot it may not be enough.

It has been a hot summer here but I always run air con because my projector heats up my room so much. But I don't know what to say. I have lost faith in thrustmaster and to have to send my wheel to the other side of the globe is a massive hassle. I will try the csw and if things don't work out I'm going to buy a frex next.

Upvote 0
You don´t need to ship the wheel away if it´s the fan. Thrustmaster can send you the new one and you can install it yourself. Or you could possible get an own fan and put on it. I have a floorstand fan I just put on the side on hot days. Cools both me and the wheel lol.

What smelt burn is probably the dampening mat that is between the engine and the casing. That was what burned on mine anyway before I replaced the fan. Is your fan mounted on the top vent it should be replaced...

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies