Skins What metallic colors look good on your rig? (testfiles provided)

I have been messing around with representing metallic colors in 3D. OpenGL in general and Assetto Corsa only do a subset, but a useful subset. Which specific technique looks best depends a lot on the user's hardware.

I wonder whether some of you would like to try some car skins of the same color, drawn with different parameters, and tell me which one you like, which one you think is realistic etc, on your hardware?

If so you could let me know which car and colors your are interested in, or if you just want to download and go I prepared this for you:
http://wavehh.dyndns.org/tmp/ac-colors.7z

It has most Porsche PTS colors in metallic, non-metallic, and matte variants. It just has subdirectories for skins/ You can use this on any car that uses 'metal_detail.dds'. Preview pictures are for the McLaren 570s but that doesn't matter, you can use the folder on a Ferrari 458 GT2 or whatever. The only cars not working are those where the base color is not in 'metal_detail.dds', which is about half of the mods out there.

If you want to give feedback let me know what hardware and settings you use. You can take screenshots, too, especially if you notice something odd.

The name of each individual color is in ui_skin.json, as are the parameters for my script used to create the variant. There also is a file 'skins/log' which has the same information for all skins, one line per skin.

Last edited:
Tips:
  • the launcher crashes with too many skins total. If it hangs in "populating favorites" just kill the launcher, delete the skins and start over. The maximum for all skins in all cars is about 5000. I thought they fixed that with the recent launcher overhaul, but I had a hang since then
  • do not use "clear pre-selected car preview cache and reload UI". It deletes all your skin selections. Just restart the game to pick up new skins (or cars)
  • the "3D preview" thing, the garage, doesn't even need a reload at all. It will just pick up skins as they are floating around the disk
  • some cars have a separate skin for the roof 'metal_detail_roof.dds'. I didn't include that. If you want to fix a black roof just copy 'metal_detail.dds' to 'metal_detail_roof.dds'. woof woof
  • Difference can be subtle. Keep an eye out for exterior plastic like side skirts. They can come out really bad when you mess with this depending on what materials they were using.

Be aware of the hack to turn F5 into a free-floating camera. I'll post the details. BTW, is there a way to move the camera up, like there is one to move it down?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea