What gpu should I get?

So im not good at computers AT ALL and dont really know what compatible with what.
Today I got:

Ryzen 5 5600x
Rtx 3070
Asus B550-F motherboard
Corsair DDR4-3200 C16 16gb x2
750w psu

Im gonna buy a triple setup with 1440 rez and sometimes play in vr. Mainly playing Iracing, ac and Dirt2 and wanna try out the new wrc

What would be the gpu I should aim for? Dont wanna spend the amount that the 4090 costs. Should I get like a 3080ti or 3090? Or could/should I go for a 40 series? If I switch to 40 series do my other components like motherboard/ram ect "fit"?

So im not good at computers AT ALL and dont really know what compatible with what.
Today I got:

Ryzen 5 5600x
Rtx 3070
Asus B550-F motherboard
Corsair DDR4-3200 C16 16gb x2
750w psu

Im gonna buy a triple setup with 1440 rez and sometimes play in vr. Mainly playing Iracing, ac and Dirt2 and wanna try out the new wrc

What would be the gpu I should aim for? Dont wanna spend the amount that the 4090 costs. Should I get like a 3080ti or 3090? Or could/should I go for a 40 series? If I switch to 40 series do my other components like motherboard/ram ect "fit"?
Definately NOT a 4090.
That 5600x cannot feed such a card.
If ray-tracing is your thing, then the RTX4070 would be the card of choice.
That said...I would not personally buy one, given the insane pricing and narrow BUS width.
If I wanted an upgrade GPU for my own 5600x, it'd be a RX7800XT.
It has enough VRAM...is decently priced and has the rasterization legs over the Nvidia card in many titles.

thank you for your reply! Ye I aint putting that amount of money that the 4090 costs =)
And im not totally against updating my cpu to like a 7600x in a near future. But what about if I find a second hand 3080ti or 3090? Kinda wanna stick to Nvidia tbh. And again, do you know if the 40 series fit in my computer with the other components I have?

thank you for your reply! Ye I aint putting that amount of money that the 4090 costs =)
And im not totally against updating my cpu to like a 7600x in a near future. But what about if I find a second hand 3080ti or 3090? Kinda wanna stick to Nvidia tbh. And again, do you know if the 40 series fit in my computer with the other components I have?
The lower 40 seies will work well with the 5600x if Nvidia is your preference.
You will need to know the physical dimensions case-wise.

The 7600X uses a new CPU socket, so it would be a full system upgrade. You could swap out for something like a 5800X3D though as that's still on the same platform.

Is there anything specific stopping you from considering an AMD GPU, or are you just used to Nvidia?

My triple screen 1440p setup is on an AMD RX7900XTX + a 7800X3D CPU. No complaints with either item, except maybe the price. :p I also added a 7800XT to my other system. Also no complaints, but I haven't tried it on any racing titles or triple screens yet.

Is there a particular frame rate that you're targeting? And what racing sims will you be running? The title could dictate what sort of minimum GPU you'll need.

What monitor are you using ?

Is triple screens non negotiable ?

Essentially to match a GPU fast enough to make the differences I suspect you want
you need the full upgrade as previously stated.

I use 5600X with RTX3080 @ 3440x1440 and can run all Steam sims ( bar iRacing) at more or less full details ( nothing under high )
rF2 my favourite Historic marques I can run 60-100 cars no problem.
Good sized fields of all DLC and maintain 100 fps gsync.

Personally I would say wait for future upgrade for both tower and monitors.

For triple 1440p, the 100% level is bare minimum and it's best to be over 110%. First laps, where the cars are bunched up, and rain/night are where the performance matters. AC is very friendly on fps... it's all the other titles that will bog you down, particularly newer titles using Unreal.

1699662768826.png

Thank you all. Yea the reason to stay Nvidia is only cuz I always prefered it really and monitor I already have is g sync. And yea like Novopaine stated, I dont really have a clue on what cpu/gpu/motherboard and so on go together lol. I play like 80% iracing and I would like to achive 120fps + in races with maxed settings.. Ore somewhere around 140+ with some settings turned down.. But yea, maybe I should just play triple on lower settings with what I have today and bite the bullet later on and build a completely new computer..

The 7600X uses a new CPU socket, so it would be a full system upgrade. You could swap out for something like a 5800X3D though as that's still on the same platform.

Is there anything specific stopping you from considering an AMD GPU, or are you just used to Nvidia?

My triple screen 1440p setup is on an AMD RX7900XTX + a 7800X3D CPU. No complaints with either item, except maybe the price. :p I also added a 7800XT to my other system. Also no complaints, but I haven't tried it on any racing titles or triple screens yet.

Is there a particular frame rate that you're targeting? And what racing sims will you be running? The title could dictate what sort of minimum GPU you'll need.

I would say that a 7800 based card would be a good consideration too.
Newer cards will be compatible and work well with FSR and frame generation that I believe will see official AMD drivers for Q1 2024.

Older cards may not work so well or be fully supported with these new emerging technologies.

For the OP, sure triples are nice but have their own issues and drawbacks..

Not sure if youve considered but you will find lots of people are happy with 32:9 single monitors for sim racing. Not everyone feels that triples add much additional benefits and 2x 1440p screens is easier to run on the system than 3. We see fewer new titles also releasing with proper triple screen support but if your more focused on i-racing then it is well supported.

Nice card

Last edited:
I would say that a 7800 based card would be a good consideration too.
Newer cards will be compatible and work well with FSR and frame generation that I believe will see official AMD drivers for Q1 2024.

Older cards may not work so well or be fully supported with these new emerging technologies.

For the OP, sure triples are nice but have their own issues and drawbacks..

Not sure if youve considered but you will find lots of people are happy with 32:9 single monitors for sim racing. Not everyone feels that triples add much additional benefits and 2x 1440p screens is easier to run on the system than 3. We see fewer new titles also releasing with proper triple screen support but if your more focused on i-racing then it is well supported.

Nice card
Thank you! Ive actually tried ultrawide. But I didnt like the height of it, didnt feel immersed at all tbh. Thats why I wanted to go 32" gaining a bit of height. The only ultrawide that have that height is the 57" that I know of and thats kinda pricey lol.

Thank you! Ive actually tried ultrawide. But I didnt like the height of it, didnt feel immersed at all tbh. Thats why I wanted to go 32" gaining a bit of height. The only ultrawide that have that height is the 57" that I know of and thats kinda pricey lol.
Each option will have different drawbacks regards factors like performance/price/configuration and compatibility.

With that can come pros and cons depending on the user. Some people also want to factor in "other" usage scenarios with their monitor/PC than just sim racing.

An important factor, even for people now coming away from triples is that the industry as a whole seems to be moving away from it. You can see this even at the sim trade shows.

32:9 is gaining more ground each year and VR/AR keeps improving too. With these, their is consumer demand for improved multi-tasking or multi monitor possibilities in a display. Certainly, VR is not suited to everyone or may be their preference to use constantly, but from an immersion aspect, it kills triple monitors and it does such with much less hassle, or with simple installation.

Regards monitors, if you compare 16:9 to 32:9 then clearly it brings a lot of additional immersion. Up until recently triple 27" was and probably still is the most popular 3 screen config. All those people were able to "make do" with the height of those screens, ah but now because we have 32" models these are no good? For gaming probably excellent but I think 1440p is not ideal, or high enough res in 32" or above for general usage purposes, so depends on the users wants.

Sure you can buy triple screens, even budget models but how good will they be, is the primary focus for you on refresh rate of at least 144Hz/165Hz and 32" size? If so yeah plenty of budget options available.

What about just general image quality, what about colour accuracy, what about HDR quality, do these factor much in your decision. Or what about pixel density if you go with 32" in only 1440p? Will the resolution/pixels look too big? So do you choose size over quality or image clarity? Just all points to consider, but like I said at the beginning regards each option and pros/cons and different people will choose in different ways.

The best quality/performance 32" monitors are not that cheap neither. If you seek 3 then you are going to be getting into quite a large sum of money. Also seems most of the models with higher specs in image quality are 4K and not 1440p. These are reasons why the 32:9 1440p monitors have become so popular as they offer an ideal compromise for both productivity and gaming. So for some, single easy to configure, more simple to physically install, less demanding on GPU than triples or indeed single 4K screen.

Indeed the new 57" Neo G9 is not cheap, it has some drawbacks of its own too, but it is built upon one of the best 32" screens in the Neo G8 and with rather good HDR. Yet really we do not have a GPU on the market today with DP 2.1 and wont for some time that can make the best of its resolution.

So yes triple 32" 1440p "gaming focused" monitors may be the best option "for you" and their will be a good range of monitors getting reduced to clear in that sector.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea