What GFX card is a good upgrade from a GTX970? for about £400 so I can enjoy this more at a higher res?

Hi all i've got an oldish system I7 3770k 16 gb ram GTX970 using triple 20" ( 1680 x 1050). I'm really loving ACC but have to run this at 3840x800 to give about 40-50 FPS. Really want to have this at 5040x1050. Looking about £400 for a new card and a RTX2070 is about this price.. but any ideas if this would be a worthy upgrade and let me enjoy the beauty this sim is? Thanks.

I went from a gtx970 to a rtx2070 and the improvement was massive, however I also upgraded the processor to a i5 9600k and overclocked it to 4.7GHz.

As I understand, this game is more dependent on processor than graphics card. So I’m sorry to say you will need to make a bigger investment. Fwiw, I run single screen 1080p and get around 100 fps on high-ultra settings.

Good luck!

You will def. need to upgrade your CPU if you get a better GPU... as this game eats a lot of CPU power as well, and you do not want this to be a bottleneck in a system. It just does not make sense to only focus on GPU when the rest of your system is old :)

An RTX 2060 Super should more or less come in at your $400 budget and should offer a significant improvement.

As for needing a new CPU, well that comes down to how you use ACC. If you're lone hotlapper, race against small AI fields, and don't do "big grid" MP sessions then you may find that your CPU can still cut it. Most of the CPU use in ACC comes from the physics calculations, and as the AI uses the same physics as the player a large field can cause a slower processor to choke. As always YMMV

In any event and IMO you should be prioritising stabilising your frame rate at a solid 60 FPS before you even think about increasing resolution.

Does it have to be new? 1080ti, 2nd hand for around your budget, on par with a 2070 super and 10% or more faster than the 2060 super, even an amd 5700xt is just about in budget new and better than the 2060 super.

I have a feeling you`ll be looking for more in a little while ;)

My system was built using 2nd hand bits but just a bit wary of second hand 1080ti ( as big cost and no guarantee ) and they are a bit like hens teeth for a reasonable price. I'm thinking of upping the budget a bit and go for a 2070 super - MSI or a Gigabyte do them around £499 ( so still around the "£400 ish" I said it would cost to the Mrs :sneaky: )

The 1080 ti still has the edge over the 2070 super, but yeah, for peace of mind I'd go for a new 2070 super.

The problem with second hand GPUs, especially the high end ones from that era is that there's a high possibility that they've been used in mining rig, which means 24/7 operation - not necessarily a problem for the electronics, but the fans might be on the way out. Also you never know if the previous owners have overclocked it - again not necessarily a problem unless the card has been "over volted" which can reduce the lifetime of the GPU chip itself, and/or the VRMs.

Just a quick update on this, I went for a MSI RTX2070 super Ventus GP £499 and it turned up today, fitted it and i'm now running ACC at 5040x1050! Not at full settings but a quick FRAPS benchmark at an average 70 fps. Still playing about but it has made a huge difference so far, normal AC pretty much maxed out is average 110 fps. I'm very happy with this purchase so far. :)

Hi wilfski,

I was exactly in the same situation as you. Last year wanted to enjoy ACC early access and the GTX-970 plus the i7-3770k ran out of steam in online multiplayer with average graphics settings. Got micro stuttering and big frame drops occasionally.
So I thought reason enough to go completely nuts on the graphics front and get a RTX 2080, unfortunately that didn´t got rid of the stuttering so I had to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700.
I hope it will play out differently for you but in my case the graphics upgrade wasn´t enough ... runs perfectly fine now.

Thanks, I will prob go down that route at some stage, after my initial test I've since only seen about 30-60 depending on traffic and it looks like background apps taking some juice of the CPU Simhub and Crew chief. it's lot better than it was and is playable, but with Simhub not running FPS are 60's to 70's . Its a shame as I love Simhub and use it for the tactile transducers and gear display and it really adds to the feeling ( will be adding some wind when the bits turn up) I can see a new Mobo and CPU and Ram on the cards.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.