What CPU is needed to play rf2 on max ?

First of all. Wait for the performance update that's coming to rf2. After that you can make a decision. If this doesn't solve your problems you should look at the cpu socket on your motherboard. You probably don't want to buy a new motherboard so find a cpu that uses the same socket (probably lga 1155)

Just get openhardwaremonitor (yes, one word), activate the graph/plot and select gpu load and clock speed for the plotting.
Drive a few laps and have a look at the graphs. Is the gpu running on full clock speed?
Is the gpu load higher than 95%?
Then the bottleneck is the graphics card!
If not it's either the CPU or a driver/setting issue.

Import: the CPU load can be very low but still be the bottleneck. That's due to sims not being able to really multi-thread.
Assetto corsa is bottleneck by my I7 2600k although no core gets above 40% load!

I run a msi 1050 4 gb oc. From i know, rf2 is heavy on the processing to calculate tyre movement.

rF2 physics engine was built around 2012 and it hasn't changed much since. Graphics engine was recently upgraded to DX11, which made it quite a bit heavier. There is no reason for an i5 3K to be a bottleneck. If it is, something is wrong. GTX 1050 is an entry-level GPU and cannot play on max settings.

Please don't buy a new graphics card without checking what's the real bottleneck..
Seen so many people upgrading the wrong parts that it hurts.
Read into how to get the gpu load while actually being on track and then we can really help you.

And don't forget to check you have PCIe running in 3.0 mode rather than 2.0. rF2 is one of the few programs that gets a graphics bottleneck if you run in 2.0.

upload_2018-3-21_7-37-3.png

TechPowerUp GPU-Z will give you that information. Now on v2.8.0.

And don't forget to check you have PCIe running in 3.0 mode rather than 2.0. rF2 is one of the few programs that gets a graphics bottleneck if you run in 2.0.

View attachment 241979
TechPowerUp GPU-Z will give you that information. Now on v2.8.0.
Thanks guys for all the reply. Yes i run it in 3.0 mode. I now have nvidia settings instead of gpu settings, and i run 16 AI in a race on 60 fps with no trouble at all with very high settings. Me likes rf2 and its community al lot.

Thanks guys for all the reply. Yes i run it in 3.0 mode. I now have nvidia settings instead of gpu settings, and i run 16 AI in a race on 60 fps with no trouble at all with very high settings. Me likes rf2 and its community al lot.
What do you mean exactly with "nvidia settings instead of gpu settings"? What did you change? :)

Just get openhardwaremonitor (yes, one word), activate the graph/plot and select gpu load and clock speed for the plotting.
Drive a few laps and have a look at the graphs. Is the gpu running on full clock speed?
Is the gpu load higher than 95%?
Then the bottleneck is the graphics card!
If not it's either the CPU or a driver/setting issue.

Import: the CPU load can be very low but still be the bottleneck. That's due to sims not being able to really multi-thread.
Assetto corsa is bottleneck by my I7 2600k although no core gets above 40% load!

I have a 2500k at 4.2Ghz with same sympthons. It resulted the memory speed was my bottleneck. Was running at 1066Mhz, switched to 1666Mhz resulted in a considerable improvement. I am evaluating buying 2400Mhz memory modules (DDR3 here).

I have a 2500k at 4.2Ghz with same sympthons. It resulted the memory speed was my bottleneck. Was running at 1066Mhz, switched to 1666Mhz resulted in a considerable improvement. I am evaluating buying 2400Mhz memory modules (DDR3 here).
2400 won't give you the same boost as 1066 to 1600. It only gives you a boost as long as the processor could run faster.
I'll dig out my cinebench results and post them. 1066/1333/1600. We will see if the increase curve flattens :)
I may require some screen shots. Not sure where are those options.
Same for me.. I know you can change similar sounding settings for video playback but that's not for gaming at all...

2400 won't give you the same boost as 1066 to 1600. It only gives you a boost as long as the processor could run faster.
I'll dig out my cinebench results and post them. 1066/1333/1600. We will see if the increase curve flattens :)

That information would come very handy for me. I am not familiar with cinebench and what measures. At least with Heaven and Valley I did not see quiet a difference because those mainly measure raw GPU. My results comes from AC benchmark and a custom test I do with a replay I have, where there is a jump from 52 to 62 on minimum fps.

AC bench results
AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
FPS: AVG=148 MIN=16 MAX=182 VARIANCE=9 CPU=86%
RAM 1066mhz

AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
FPS: AVG=182 MIN=25 MAX=222 VARIANCE=9 CPU=85%
RAM 1600mhz

I know this is an rFactor forum. But I think this info can be handy. At least shows memory can be a bottleneck too.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.