AC Weds Night BOP testing

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
BOP will/should probably never balance the characteristics of cars.

After some tests with the G40 GT5, a restrictor of 75% seems to be a good starting point.
Then I made comparisons on several tracks: The "stock" G40 GT5 was always the fastest. The BOP'ed GT5 was sometimes faster, sometimes slower than the MX5 Cup. It really depends on the track (straights, curves, inclines, declines). But isn't it the same with the Abarth and the Swift?!

the ginetta is already slow on the straights, personally i think the ballast would be the way to go. 272kg seems a bit excessive though, maybe start at 150kg and see how it compares at other tracks. then try a bit of restrictor if more bop is required.
It looks promising with +75 kg and 25% restrictor. In contrast to the approach with only the restrictor, the differences within a lap are not so extreme.
Tried Watkins Glen, Deutschlandring, Road Atlanta, Daimler-Teststrecke.

Last edited:
It looks promising with +75 kg and 25% restrictor. In contrast to the approach with only the restrictor, the differences within a lap are not so extreme.
Tried Watkins Glen, Deutschlandring, Road Atlanta, Daimler-Teststrecke.
That's great Dirk! I will set up the test server with those settings so others can test it and give their feedback on that.

EDIT: Done!

Last edited:
Still after much deliberation I am not a fan of bopped cars, there are so many other factors involved outside of just BHP/Ton or acceleration.
Some cars suit some people, some cars are difficult to drive, some cars suit one driver but not another.
Group C is a great example. You would certainly BOP the Mercedes C9. But we all know that would make it a ridiculous choice.
The same exists, but to a smaller degree with all cars, whatever direction you go.
Some cars when bopped are just no fun to drive, or more to the point lose their drivability, after excessive limitations are put on them. They become much less than a sum of their straight-line perfornance.
We are not a group of equals, we vary by up to 4 seconds a lap, that is why I like our racing forum..
The only way to do it is BOP individual drivers and if that is, probably for good reason, a none starter, then segregate car from some drivers.
I am assuming we are using the Mazda as the base car.:)

Yes I know it is an old chestnut, but I don't think that makes any less valid.

Still after much deliberation I am not a fan of bopped cars, there are so many other factors involved outside of just BHP/Ton or acceleration.
Some cars suit some people, some cars are difficult to drive, some cars suit one driver but not another.
Group C is a great example. You would certainly BOP the Mercedes C9. But we all know that would make it a ridiculous choice.
The same exists, but to a smaller degree with all cars, whatever direction you go.
Some cars when bopped are just no fun to drive, or more to the point lose their drivability, after excessive limitations are put on them. They become much less than a sum of their straight-line perfornance.
We are not a group of equals, we vary by up to 4 seconds a lap, that is why I like our racing forum..
The only way to do it is BOP individual drivers and if that is, probably for good reason, a none starter, then segregate car from some drivers.
I am assuming we are using the Mazda as the base car.:)

Yes I know it is an old chestnut, but I don't think that makes any less valid.
Makes sense, Ernie. I don't like BOP either.
Maybe we have a good mix now with 3 cars and we shouldn't force a 4th car into it.

The mean reason for me is that we found a nice alternative for the Abarth with the Suzuki and I found it only fair to give the Mazda drivers also one.
But if the Mazda guys are happy with their car without an alternative, it's fine by me.
At least they will have an opponent now that is slower on the long straights:D.

In any case I will not decide myself for using the Ginetta with BOP.
If we have found a good BOP the decision will be done by voting in our Wednesday community.

I would also like to see something in the Mazda group for our slower RWD aficionado brothers and sisters to compete with. Then as they speed up they can be moved into the Mazda.
Rather like the Mazda ND and MX5 cup, but with some what better matching.
( and by that I mean a less experienced driver in that car are still not as fast as our aliens and front runners )
It must be somewhat depressing being out the back on your own, I would like to see something that stops the middle of the field disappearing after 1 lap.
Plus you cannot learn so many things that you need to be a good racing driver struggling at the back with nothing to gain and no one to race.
It does not count so much for FWD as they tend to be of a type, picking FWD out of preference.
Fun is racing with others, it matters not a jot where in the field you are, but you need some people behind and some in front to give it meaning.
And if you are the behind one from the above, you still need some hope if not for this race but the next one.
The reason I have so much respect for the Mazda is its abilities as a perfect car for everyone, it is a struggle to find an equivalent. Probably there is no other car like it when you add up everything in its package.

Last edited:
I can remember back in the day when i first joined racing these Mazdas..I had been racing with RD on RF2 then switched over to HistorX so coming over to the Mazda races i had a little bit of race craft,experience {not much) to put me roughly in the middle/rear of the pack...I learned a lot.crashed a lot,hit others a lot,swore like a trooper A LOT!!!,but by sheer persiverance i,ve improved my racing craft A LOT!!,and become 1 of the faster guys in my choice of car,even been so bold as to help guys out with tips,set-ups which have helped them greatly..A few yrs ago there were a few fast Mazda drivers Simon,Tim,Silvio and 1 @Kek700,damn he was fast,knew where to put his car from the attacking car behind him (me),more swearing,stamping on brakes,going for the late brake,,nope did,nt happen,this happened for time,wish i still had the replays for some of them,but slowly i started chipping away and on a few occasions got past him (In your face Ernie) :p to the point where i was up with the leaders..Racing was going great till it went Tits Up,and a few jumped ship to drive the Audi TT..:roflmao:..We all start somewhere,we all finish somewhere depending how much time and effort you can put in to it..To me this little group is great,everyone tries to help,i think everyone wants to help,i cant make videos,hav,nt a clue how to do 1,prob an age thing,but i do know other stuff,to the newbies,ask for help,i,ve had a couple of PM,s recently asking for info,if i can help,great,my only rule is..If you get within a sec of my times,your on your own...:D
:D:roflmao::roflmao::laugh::laugh:...

RWD mid motor and 1050 kg with 120 hp, 135 hp, 160 hp, 180 hp and semislicks available. Still not able to drive for a longer time but I will give the MGF a try.

Last edited:
RWD mid motor and 1050 kg with 120 hp, 135 hp, 160 hp, 180 hp and semislicks available. Still not able to drive for a longer time but I will give the MGF a try.
Even with the 179 HP MG ten seconds slower than the MX5 Cup at Watkins Glen.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea