VR - Vive Pro Settings

I'm having an issue getting my graphics settings dialed in correctly for the Vive Pro.

For SS, there's the SteamVR application SuperSampling setting I have set up to 1.60
But then in Assetto Corsa there's an app called OpenVR which lets you set the SS again, along with the IPD distance.

Am I supposed to set both of these SS settings in SteamVR and in the OpenVR AC App in the sim?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Im running an i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz, 32gb ram, 1080Ti overclocked, and running off an M.2 SSD.

TIA!

• Deleted member 197115

At least with Odyssey in AC OpenVR settings were ignored, so I just used SteamVR.
Just in case set in AC to 1.0 to avoid double SS.

Hi Michael, it is different. I have the HTC Vive and investigated this topic for many weeks: The ingame Open VR setting is in conflict with the i.e. the Advanved Setting tool that some and I have installed (but don't use anymore). In Advanced Settings there is a slider for "Application supersampling" and one for "render target multiplier". "Render target multiplier" ONLY applies for the dashboard and the steam library if you want to review that through the Vive.

As soon as you launch any application with "Advanced settings" running and i.e. set to 2.0 SS, all and every application will use that setting. Now, when you launch Assetto Corsa and set the ingame OpenVR slider to i.e. 2.4 and save that, it will say that you have to restart the application. This is because it effectively changes the general setting from "Advanced settings" and writes it back to the VRsettings file in in Steam->Config.

For me this is unwanted and not very useful either in case you are playing more than one game. That is why you should not use and touch the ingame SS setting at all.

For HTC Vive and certainly for Vive Pro, Steam VR will set an overall 2.0 SS in SteamVR->settings->video even if you do not click "Manual override". You can check that by clicking "manual override" and in my case it shows 2.0 which looks like a proposal, in fact, it is the standard setting in the background.

Well, then there were a lot of comments that "Manual override" and any Application SS setting under SteamVR-Applications would multiply, i.e. 2.0 general X 2.0 for Assetto Corsa = 4.0 SS. That does not seem to be true as you can try and leave manual at 2.0 (hidden) and AC at 4.0 which would make it 8.0 SS but you will still get a race started with reduced FPS. Sure you will be in asynchronous reproduction all the time but it still does not make sense for the application to accept such a setting. It is only true, if you click "manual override" and set it to any number you like and then AC also and all my tests have left me with the impression, that SteamVR just picks the higher number from both. If you leave it unclicked, any toggled setting higher than SS 1.0 under SteamVR->Applications will be automatically preferred over the preset hidden on the SteamVR->video tab.

So what I do is, I leave ingame at 1.0 - or better - don't even touch it. I leave "manual override" for all applications untouched as well and I have set AC to 1.4 with PP filter and to 2.4 without PP.

I had posted earlier, that 3.0 SS or even higher seems to look better but on the other hand, the workload from different tracks and maximum settings AND the number of opponents varies the effective FPS output so much more than the gain from higher SS settings provides in return for just some tracks, I would have to change the SS setting all the time in order to keep 90 FPS. With 1.4 and 2.4 it is pretty stable for >90% of the tracks and 15 opponents.

Hi Michael, it is different. I have the HTC Vive and investigated this topic for many weeks: The ingame Open VR setting is in conflict with the i.e. the Advanved Setting tool that some and I have installed (but don't use anymore). In Advanced Settings there is a slider for "Application supersampling" and one for "render target multiplier". "Render target multiplier" ONLY applies for the dashboard and the steam library if you want to review that through the Vive.

As soon as you launch any application with "Advanced settings" running and i.e. set to 2.0 SS, all and every application will use that setting. Now, when you launch Assetto Corsa and set the ingame OpenVR slider to i.e. 2.4 and save that, it will say that you have to restart the application. This is because it effectively changes the general setting from "Advanced settings" and writes it back to the VRsettings file in in Steam->Config.

For me this is unwanted and not very useful either in case you are playing more than one game. That is why you should not use and touch the ingame SS setting at all.

For HTC Vive and certainly for Vive Pro, Steam VR will set an overall 2.0 SS in SteamVR->settings->video even if you do not click "Manual override". You can check that by clicking "manual override" and in my case it shows 2.0 which looks like a proposal, in fact, it is the standard setting in the background.

Well, then there were a lot of comments that "Manual override" and any Application SS setting under SteamVR-Applications would multiply, i.e. 2.0 general X 2.0 for Assetto Corsa = 4.0 SS. That does not seem to be true as you can try and leave manual at 2.0 (hidden) and AC at 4.0 which would make it 8.0 SS but you will still get a race started with reduced FPS. Sure you will be in asynchronous reproduction all the time but it still does not make sense for the application to accept such a setting. It is only true, if you click "manual override" and set it to any number you like and then AC also and all my tests have left me with the impression, that SteamVR just picks the higher number from both. If you leave it unclicked, any toggled setting higher than SS 1.0 under SteamVR->Applications will be automatically preferred over the preset hidden on the SteamVR->video tab.

So what I do is, I leave ingame at 1.0 - or better - don't even touch it. I leave "manual override" for all applications untouched as well and I have set AC to 1.4 with PP filter and to 2.4 without PP.

I had posted earlier, that 3.0 SS or even higher seems to look better but on the other hand, the workload from different tracks and maximum settings AND the number of opponents varies the effective FPS output so much more than the gain from higher SS settings provides in return for just some tracks, I would have to change the SS setting all the time in order to keep 90 FPS. With 1.4 and 2.4 it is pretty stable for >90% of the tracks and 15 opponents.

Awesome explanation. Thank you for that. What I did was the following:
- In Game OpenVR App set SS to 1.0
- SteamVR Settings>Video>Manual Override to 1.0 SS (I leave the Global SS Setting at 1.0 because I have different values for each game/sim that I'm running so I set it in SteamVR>Settings>Applications)
- SteamVR Settings>Applications>Assetto Corsa set to 1.5 SS (I don't want to push the SS too far because with the Vive Pro the SS that can be maxed out are less than what Oculus and the regular Vive can have - although I will try some higher settings to test out at some point later on)

• Deleted member 197115

OpenVR per Application SS setting is a multiplier to what is set in Video, not override.
Always check the actual reported resolution in OpenVR tool.

BTW 100% SS in OpenVR s not native but default render resolution.
OpenVR is using the following internal multipliers for 100% SS.

HTC Vive: 1.40x and 1.40x = 1512 x 1680 (2.540M)
LCD WMR: 1.11x and 1.11x = 1593 x 1593 (2.538M)
HTC Oculus Rift: 1.24x and 1.33x = 1344 x 1600 (2.150M)
Vive Pro: 1.40x and 1.40x = 2016 x 2240 (4.515M)
Samsung Odyssey: 0.99x and 1.11x = 1427 x 1776 (2.534M)

Just make sure to check reported target resolution in SteamVR as it can get confusing very quick.

Andrew, please consider where OpenVR is writing a changed SS inside the vrsettings file and then also check that it alters anything set in Advanced settings. At least here it did. That is why I believe it is not a per AC setting but for any OpenVR game thereafter. What is your thought on this?

And if it would multiply the Video setting - which could be the case - then it would override the per Application setting in SteamVR because that is the multiplier of the Video tab I believe.

Chris

Last edited:
Awesome explanation. Thank you for that. What I did was the following:
- In Game OpenVR App set SS to 1.0
- SteamVR Settings>Video>Manual Override to 1.0 SS (I leave the Global SS Setting at 1.0 because I have different values for each game/sim that I'm running so I set it in SteamVR>Settings>Applications)
- SteamVR Settings>Applications>Assetto Corsa set to 1.5 SS (I don't want to push the SS too far because with the Vive Pro the SS that can be maxed out are less than what Oculus and the regular Vive can have - although I will try some higher settings to test out at some point later on)

Michael, if you set the Video tab to 1.0 you are overwriting the new default SteamVR setting there which is 2.0 (if you leave it unaltered) for the Vive and of course 2.0 for the pro. That is not a bad thing to do because - as you say - gives you the freedom to set SS per Application. However, your Pro and a fast rig should be able to give you 90 FPS with 2.0 SS and any VR application because my 1080ti plus 7700k@4,9 does.

As for AC, I have to reduce it to an effective 1,5 SS with PP Filters and I would do that by adjusting the per Application setting: 2.0 video * 1,33 AC = 1,5

Again, I do not trust the ingame OpenVR setting as it seems to write to place where it shouldn't - it should alter the per Application setting and I can clearly see in the vrsettings file that it does not.

Of course Andrew is perfectly right check the actual resolution to see what happens.

Chris

(Waiting for a mature VR implementation...)

Michael, if you set the Video tab to 1.0 you are overwriting the new default SteamVR setting there which is 2.0 (if you leave it unaltered) for the Vive and of course 2.0 for the pro. That is not a bad thing to do because - as you say - gives you the freedom to set SS per Application. However, your Pro and a fast rig should be able to give you 90 FPS with 2.0 SS and any VR application because my 1080ti plus 7700k@4,9 does.

As for AC, I have to reduce it to an effective 1,5 SS with PP Filters and I would do that by adjusting the per Application setting: 2.0 video * 1,33 AC = 1,5

Again, I do not trust the ingame OpenVR setting as it seems to write to place where it shouldn't - it should alter the per Application setting and I can clearly see in the vrsettings file that it does not.

Of course Andrew is perfectly right check the actual resolution to see what happens.

Chris

(Waiting for a mature VR implementation...)

For the Vive Pro, the Video tab is not 2.0 by the way, It's actually showing 1.44

This got really confusing, really fast. So, what are your suggestions? Leave the OpenVR in AC at 1.0 alone? Set the Per Application SS higher to like 2.0? Should I leave Video setting alone if I just set the SS per application?

Ok, did not know that the Pro is set to SS 1.44. Then leave it there and uncheck the box. I have done a fresh AC install recently because some mod had screwed up my FPS. Here is what I did prior and after installation:
  1. NVIDIA settings: Performance, save setting, 3D applications, save setting, Application AC: Maximum Power for the GPU, the rest untouched. GPU is automatically set for physics
  2. Run your GPU at full speed with your overclocking applied, as well for the CPU and then start AC (for the first time). SteamVR should be run as Admin, then SteamVR runs as admin as well.
  3. You will see the warning "AC is not a VR application and will run on the desktop..." click okay and pay no attention. On the next start it will be gone
  4. First of all I took one Kunos openwheel car for training on the Maggione track and checked the frame rate with SteamVR Application setting SS 2.0. 89,5 continuously. Find your SS that gives you 89,5 with the Pro at this stage, maybe start at SS 2.0 and then go back in 0,10 steps
  5. I then checked the default AC settings: 2x AA, 8x AF, World max, shadows high, reflections low, smoke in mirrors, Default PPFilter with all set to normal
  6. I took 15 opponents of the same car on the same track, 89,5 FPS straight
  7. Increased AA from 2x to 4x and AF from 8x to 16x. Framedrops to 87/88 and 89,5 on the straight.
  8. Reasons are: Shadows, smoke in mirrors and PP Filter
  9. Disabled PP Filter, disabled smoke in mirrors, reduced shadows to medium, 89,5 FPS and the graphics are the same.
  10. Also disabled G-force effects and I lock the camera to the horizon, otherwise I get sick over time
  11. Took the bunch to Nordschleife, 1st corner, very heavy on the CPU and GPU, 89,5 FPS - mission accomplished
  12. From now on, if there is a car or a track that causes me framedrops I can go and reduce my SS settings to make it 89,5 FPS or forget about the mod. I do not touch the ingame OpenVR setting, it shows SS 1.0 and my IPD setting, otherwise I do not care.
  13. BTW, the GPU speed measure in the VRsettings file has jumped from 920 to 949, GPU and Vive might be running at the sweet spot now
  14. SteamVR: I have only Asynchronous reprojection enabled, but no interleaved or forced reprojection and no "enhanced supersampling filters" as they seem to blur the image for my taste. I also do not understand how people can run VR at 45 FPS, I personally get sick at less than 80 as I have stuttering beginning through corners at below 88. So 89,5 is the way to go at least for me. BTW, disable dashboard in SteamVR, no need to render that and no need to launch AC from within VR and never ever use the cinema mode...
Let me know how it worked out.

Chris

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Andrew, please consider where OpenVR is writing a changed SS inside the vrsettings file and then also check that it alters anything set in Advanced settings. At least here it did. That is why I believe it is not a per AC setting but for any OpenVR game thereafter. What is your thought on this?

And if it would multiply the Video setting - which could be the case - then it would override the per Application setting in SteamVR because that is the multiplier of the Video tab I believe.

Chris
When I said OpenVR I meant SteamVR, not in AC settings that didn't even work for me with Odyssey. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, did not know that the Pro is set to SS 1.44. Then leave it there and uncheck the box. I have done a fresh AC install recently because some mod had screwed up my FPS. Here is what I did prior and after installation:
  1. NVIDIA settings: Performance, save setting, 3D applications, save setting, Application AC: Maximum Power for the GPU, the rest untouched. GPU is automatically set for physics
  2. Run your GPU at full speed with your overclocking applied, as well for the CPU and then start AC (for the first time). SteamVR should be run as Admin, then SteamVR runs as admin as well.
  3. You will see the warning "AC is not a VR application and will run on the desktop..." click okay and pay no attention. On the next start it will be gone
  4. First of all I took one Kunos openwheel car for training on the Maggione track and checked the frame rate with SteamVR Application setting SS 2.0. 89,5 continuously. Find your SS that gives you 89,5 with the Pro at this stage, maybe start at SS 2.0 and then go back in 0,10 steps
  5. I then checked the default AC settings: 2x AA, 8x AF, World max, shadows high, reflections low, smoke in mirrors, Default PPFilter with all set to normal
  6. I took 15 opponents of the same car on the same track, 89,5 FPS straight
  7. Increased AA from 2x to 4x and AF from 8x to 16x. Framedrops to 87/88 and 89,5 on the straight.
  8. Reasons are: Shadows, smoke in mirrors and PP Filter
  9. Disabled PP Filter, disabled smoke in mirrors, reduced shadows to medium, 89,5 FPS and the graphics are the same.
  10. Also disabled G-force effects and I lock the camera to the horizon, otherwise I get sick over time
  11. Took the bunch to Nordschleife, 1st corner, very heavy on the CPU and GPU, 89,5 FPS - mission accomplished
  12. From now on, if there is a car or a track that causes me framedrops I can go and reduce my SS settings to make it 89,5 FPS or forget about the mod. I do not touch the ingame OpenVR setting, it shows SS 1.0 and my IPD setting, otherwise I do not care.
  13. BTW, the GPU speed measure in the VRsettings file has jumped from 920 to 949, GPU and Vive might be running at the sweet spot now
  14. SteamVR: I have only Asynchronous reprojection enabled, but no interleaved or forced reprojection and no "enhanced supersampling filters" as they seem to blur the image for my taste. I also do not understand how people can run VR at 45 FPS, I personally get sick at less than 80 as I have stuttering beginning through corners at below 88. So 89,5 is the way to go at least for me. BTW, disable dashboard in SteamVR, no need to render that and no need to launch AC from within VR and never ever use the cinema mode...
Let me know how it worked out.

Chris

Thanks. I will play with the settings some more when I get home.

Thanks for all. I have Samsung Odyssey and works ok. I have only one complaint.
After i put headseat on my face my mouse does not work anymore (green dot).
After i put headset off it works normaly on the screen.

Any solution?

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks for all. I have Samsung Odyssey and works ok. I have only one complaint.
After i put headseat on my face my mouse does not work anymore (green dot).
After i put headset off it works normaly on the screen.

Any solution?
Win-Y.
Make sure to activate Direct Mode in SteamVR settings, there is a button.
Launch SteamVR before AC.
After these steps it almost never happens.

Thanks for help. I also noticed litle stutter sometimes, every 15s etc (like a few FPS drops from 90FPS but not)., but my graphic card has room to 100% and also CPU.
GTX 1080ti OC
i7-8700 OC to 4,8Ghz to all cores

Any advice?

• Deleted member 197115

Set VSync to off in NVidia CPL and Power option to Max Performance.
And kill all HUD apps, they are the biggest performance killers after the number of opponents.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 30 20.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 9 6.0%