VR HMD and Glasses/Contacts

I'm dropping a note here for anyone that's wondering about VR and corrective lenses.

I have a Samsung Odyssey that I use mostly with AC and PC2, and until today I used it exclusively with contact lenses, which is actually a pretty good combination.

My normal glasses are fairly rectangular, very similar to the style below, which are fashionable, but obscure quite a bit of the view in a VR HMD, so I never really enjoyed wearing them in VR:
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/plastic-full-rim-frame/2662?skuId=266216\

What I ordered, as a cheap test, is these frames (for $20, including options and shipping):
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/plastic-round-eyeglass-frames-/20186?skuId=2018623

After some initial tests the round frames do allow for full viewing of the VR displays, but I'm not sure they will be as comfortable for endurance races or extended gaming/racing sessions. I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable at this time, but the VR HMD does press them into my face somewhat, which obviously does not happen with contact lenses. That being said, it's easier to swap glasses than putting in/taking out contacts, so I'm planning to leave the new glasses near my racing station for sneaking in shorter practice sessions. The glasses do seem a bit sharper than the contacts in VR, but I have astigmatism, so that may not be the same for your prescription.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic
ps: I'm not paid to market for Zenni, I'm just looking for ways to make VR more convenient. :)

Sounds great :) just be careful that your lens don't contact the lens in the HMD - I know that for the Rift it is especially suspectible to scratching. Use VR lens protectors, watch face protectors or even a layer of clingwrap to cover your VR lens.

Upvote 0
Using special prescription lens adapters for my Occulus Rift here because wearing my glasses with it wasn´t a very comfortable experience.
Don´t know if those adapters are also made for Samsung VR sets but I would highly recommend them even though they are not exactly cheap.
Here is the optometrist where I ordered them after reading good reviews about the quality on different forums: https://vr-lens.eu/

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I am noticing a small smudge on the glasses and the VR lens which may need to be buffed out. :(

Anybody try something like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS2LZDI/?coliid=IWKV8W6DLP4N0
51BmppKggUL._AC_.jpg

Upvote 0
Using special prescription lens adapters for my Occulus Rift here because wearing my glasses with it wasn´t a very comfortable experience.
Don´t know if those adapters are also made for Samsung VR sets but I would highly recommend them even though they are not exactly cheap.
Here is the optometrist where I ordered them after reading good reviews about the quality on different forums: https://vr-lens.eu/
I also used this company

Upvote 0
I'm always surprised when tech companies don't acknowledge that their products may incur some wear and tear, and that could result in a less than optimal user experience. Like when you buy a smartphone, it should come with a case and a screen protector. :p

So, If you wear glasses with a VR headset there's a good chance the lenses of the glasses and the lenses of the HMD are going to touch each other, and there's also a good chance that when they touch they will both get scuffed up. Some folks have suggested using a "lens protector", like a screen protector for you smartphone, on the lenses of the HMD. Another suggestion was to DIY (maybe by 3D printing?) some bushings/spacers to guarantee the two lenses never touch. This solution seems superior to me, but also requires a high level of DIY. For the time being I'll probably stick with contact lenses until I can figure something out.

The videos not great, but the idea is.

I think ultimately I'd want the VR HMD to protect it's own lenses by including something like "spacers" that would prevent eyeglass lenses from touching the VR lenses. When I take the VR HMD off I'd like my eyeglasses to stay on my face, so I can continue to see. Maybe a carved rigid foam or 3D printed insert for the HMD would provide proper separation/protection.

Upvote 0
2018-04-16 19.10.35.jpg

I had some old smartphone screen protectors, so I cut them up with some overage so they'd be easy to remove. I've not tried these with contacts, but with glasses they were not noticeable while in VR.

Upvote 0
I wanted to kick this thread back into action because I'm trying to solve my issue as soon as possible. I wear glasses in order to read, typically just use 3.25 readers, but have yet to come up with an easy solution that will work well with my Samsung Odyssey+ HMD. I am planning to get my eyes tested so I know exactly what I need. I plan on purchasing a pair of lenses from one of the companies like WidmoVR or VR Lens, but from what I'm reading, they're all European & take several weeks. So my question is, other than the suggestion by the OP (which I intend to try) are there any other solutions anyone has come up with more recently? Are there any US companies making the VR lenses? Which of the current companies making these do the best job, borh in quality & short lead time? And if I decided to get contacts, how long do you think it would take to get used to them?

I'm really hoping to come up with at least a quick temporary solution in the next week because I'm off work for the next 2 weeks and would really like to spend some time running my sims in full VR glory!

Upvote 0
I wanted to kick this thread back into action because I'm trying to solve my issue as soon as possible. I wear glasses in order to read, typically just use 3.25 readers, but have yet to come up with an easy solution that will work well with my Samsung Odyssey+ HMD. I am planning to get my eyes tested so I know exactly what I need. I plan on purchasing a pair of lenses from one of the companies like WidmoVR or VR Lens, but from what I'm reading, they're all European & take several weeks. So my question is, other than the suggestion by the OP (which I intend to try) are there any other solutions anyone has come up with more recently? Are there any US companies making the VR lenses? Which of the current companies making these do the best job, borh in quality & short lead time? And if I decided to get contacts, how long do you think it would take to get used to them?

I'm really hoping to come up with at least a quick temporary solution in the next week because I'm off work for the next 2 weeks and would really like to spend some time running my sims in full VR glory!
My optometrist gave me a couple sets of "tester" contact lenses to try. Some of them last one day, some last one week, and some last one month.

Upvote 0
My optometrist gave me a couple sets of "tester" contact lenses to try. Some of them last one day, some last one week, and some last one month.

Were you able to get good results relatively quickly, or did it take quite a while to adjust to them? Either way, that's something I'll try asking my new eye doctor when I go get my eyes checked.

Upvote 0
Were you able to get good results relatively quickly, or did it take quite a while to adjust to them? Either way, that's something I'll try asking my new eye doctor when I go get my eyes checked.
I wore contacts a lot when I was younger, so the adjustment period was almost non-existent. I do find some pairs/brands easier to put in or more comfortable for long periods, but they all work well enough once they are in. If you've never worn contacts before if could take some time to acclimate to putting your finger that close to your eye. Is there something about the glasses that aren't working for you?

Upvote 0
Is there something about the glasses that aren't working for you?

Thank you Esotic, I will probably try contacts. I don't have any glasses yet other than cheap reading glasses, and none seem to fit comfortably with this HMD. That's why ultimately I'll be ordering the special prescription lenses made by one of the 3 companies in Europe already mentioned... Just want to come up with something in the meantime to use since I've heard they all take several weeks to arrive unfortunately.

Upvote 0
If you're not a contacts wearer, the two weeks you're on leave for will not be a great time for you. I wore glasses from 18 until 32 ish with only a 30 day pack of daily contact lenses in between, ONCE, for my bodybuilding contest. I didn't want my glasses on for that and I also didn't want to be blind. I HATED them.

That said, I now wear contacts full time, every day, all day and I sleep in them too. For the first month or so, I was so uncomfortable and I actually changed the brand that I was using. This helped a lot. From there on, I used to use the drops to keep my eyes moist and hydrated, but even that caused discomfort after some time as it can make your eyes feel funny once it dries out.

I now am at the point after about 3-4 years of full time contact lens wearing where I don't even use drops. EVER. They still annoy me at times, but this is not solely from the lenses. I have other problems with my eyes that compound the issues. Blocked left tear duct being one, a nasty virus I seem to have contracted as my common 'sore throat' now when I get run down or sick. My eye blows up red and is very painful. So point being, if you have ANY other issues with your eyes you are going to feel contacts are worse than what they probably actually are. In VR, contacts are AWESOME. No glasses frame, nothing extra on your face. I've never even tried it because I got VR after being accustomed to contacts.

Long story long, 2 weeks will most likely not be enough to adjust to a level you won't notice them. Also at the start you will not be able to wear them for long periods. So maybe just for racing and then taking them out you might get away with a decent level of comfort.

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.9%