USB Hub? Fanatec gear

By the way, I haven't plugged this USB hub into a plug socket, I believe that's only required for the smart charging.

The USB hub is attached to my Simlab Rig using velcro. It's secure. Then I've three things plugged into the hub, and the hub is obviously attached to my PC.

I can individually turn off devices from the hub, which I do with the headset receiver as it always seems to take priority in windows when I don't want it to.

I bought a longer cable as I move my rig from a parked position when not in use to in front of my screen when I'm racing. Works a tread.

By the way, I haven't plugged this USB hub into a plug socket, I believe that's only required for the smart charging.

The USB hub is attached to my Simlab Rig using velcro. It's secure. Then I've three things plugged into the hub, and the hub is obviously attached to my PC.

I can individually turn off devices from the hub, which I do with the headset receiver as it always seems to take priority in windows when I don't want it to.

I bought a longer cable as I move my rig from a parked position when not in use to in front of my screen when I'm racing. Works a tread.

Appreciate the response, Velcro is definitely on my list already. I recently used Velcro to attach a small switch under my desk and attach power strips to back of my tv stand. Useful stuff!

Had a thought power would not be needed, thanks for the confirmation though.

Had problems with usb hubs in the past, they usually work fine, but can cause problems with the load cells in pedals.
Maybe even with the wheel itself, but it is harder to spot a problem with a wheel, the resolution masks to some extent any problems there.
i now always use direct to the PC usb connections, only using a hub for less important things, like my rev lights, etc,etc.:)

Like everything hardware there are huge gaps in quality, reliability and performance

Best hubs have better chipset then most motherboards

Other thing I like about hubs they take the weight off the USB slots on normal tower which makes them wear and get loose , some people tie leads all together for neatness and place even more weight on one or more slots

Another is power, using Motherboard USB they run max. voltage 24/7 which is why if you mistakenly put plug in wrong way it can be possible to blow equipment
Good chipset runs all devices at only the voltage needed and powers down all unused USB ports completely iE: you can't short out a device plugging it wrong way

Another is hubs with their own external power supply can stop hot-plug devices from possible corruption when disabling " write cache policy " like HDD that run off USB power only ( cheap externals )

I would not hesitate to recommend my hub over other methods especially if you don't want to make expensive motherboard USB slots become sloppy

Uses Via chipset protected against over-voltage, over-current, short-circuit, leakage current and overheating

----------------------------------------------------------
edit: another pro I neglect to mention
I have 2 PC everyday tower and gaming tower
On the AMD 3200G with onboard graphics I can still run GTL PnG GTR2

To swap all 14 leads ( mouses, KBs , headphones, controllers, tablet, HDD hub, other devices and charging between towers is a single USB lead ;)
I run both monitors on both towers and do the same with hub switch. So I can have both PC running on either monitor without unplugging any of the 4 cables ...which you would have to do without hub

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with all that you say, but I bought a 12v supply hub that worked fine, but for load cell applications it was a no no.
And hence did not trust the most important stuff to it.
But and this is a big but, it does largely come down to how you use your PC, for me it is 95% sim racing, and is never switched on for more than a couple of hours.:)

Why wouldn’t you use pedals or wheel in a powered USB Hub?
I have them plugged them in the hub, and the hub powered, but I only got that hooked up a few days ago, and haven’t played yet, so I haven’t had chance to see
Any issue

I cannot give you an answer on the technical reasons but will re phase what happened to me.
Bought a good quality powered hub.
I have load cell brake and load cell accelerator pedals, they became very susceptible to noise especially the Accelerator pedal.
Put the usb connection into the PC, problem gone. Sounds easy but in reality took a while to find, mainly due to me never thinking it could be the hub.
So on that basis did the same for my steering wheel, just in case. :)

Thats fair, Ive always had mine into the PC, and im going through a tidy up and clean phase on the rig, and thought 1 USB cable is better than 10.
I'll keep an eye on my inputs for wheel and pedals, and put them back on the PC if required.
Thanks

Keeping everything tidy is exactly why I use a hub, and so far (fingers crossed) I've not had an issue.

I share my PC and monitor with my work at the moment and therefore move it from the side to in front of the screen for racing. Having casters on the P1-X and having only a single cable to the the PC and 1 for power make the whole process simple and keeps it all clean.

Sorry about the cat, she was not moving...

IMG_0593.jpg

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 51 34.5%