Upgraded gamepad control and settings

Given the wheels price ATM, it makes no sense to play a simulation with a controller. With a wheel you'll have a 100x better experience. Go Playstation instead if you want to race with a controller (not being offensive)...

Controller has a massive convenience factor. Space, setup, reliability, safety. Easy access to keyboard and mouse is a nice thing, you can just play at your desk like normal. People usually already have one for other games anyways.

Quite a lot of modders use controller for these reasons. I know people that use controller because their wheel broke, and even people that use controller who have a wheel already and just don't want to set it up.

Telling people to play on console if they want to use a controller just shows how small of a bubble you use Assetto in. Console games don't have my IRL cars or my local tracks. Try finding Gunsai on console, or LAC, SRP, photogrammetry maps like Santa Monica, which I've turned countless laps with my friends, wheel drivers, for years with using a controller. I also enjoy the challenge of AC physics on a controller as opposed to console games, Gran Turismo feels really bad in comparison.

As to the OP, I know this is an old thread, but there's many different CSP GamepadFX mods available now that makes controller more viable and fun.

Last edited:
The number of people using a controller can go only down I guess. People on controller are likely to make the step to a wheel, it's a shrinking group of users. Wheel users will never go back to a controller.
The way the sims are made nowadays, are intended to be used with a wheel. Would be nice if controller users have the option, but it would need adjusting to work properly.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea