Update 0.9 to Baskerville Raceway

Tracks Update 0.9 to Baskerville Raceway 0.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
martincoulombe submitted a new resource:

Update 0.9 to Baskerville Raceway - New Bumps, lights, tyrewall and trashy skin

I discovered this track a few weeks ago and it was an instant favorite, the track has been beautifully done by Nick and the layout is flowy and short and fun, with nice corners not allowing you to go full throttle. So I decided to improve it a little...

This update doesnt take anything away from the original 0.8 version, but will add bumps, lights (fictional), new tyrewall and a new dirty local skin to this already fantastic track.

Enjoy

View attachment 392549

[ATTACH...

Read more about this resource...

3d tire wall file is bigger than the track file itself!
yeah i know, but to me those tyre wall are a really important part of t specific track... I admit the file is not really optimized, half of the tyre mesh are hidden and could be removed, but to be honest i haven't find a way to do it exept manually and it would take forever.

This track is small, the size of the whole is still acceptable and i didn't experienced a FPS drop on my system.

If people tell me they experience problem with the size i will try to find a way to optimize it...

Thank you for your update, but the track seems to be too bumby for a race track now. Maybe you can tone down it a little bit and offer a second optional version of the road mesh.
The fictional light generators for night racing are a really good idea.

yeah i know, but to me those tyre wall are a really important part of t specific track... I admit the file is not really optimized, half of the tyre mesh are hidden and could be removed, but to be honest i haven't find a way to do it exept manually and it would take forever.

This track is small, the size of the whole is still acceptable and i didn't experienced a FPS drop on my system.

If people tell me they experience problem with the size i will try to find a way to optimize it...
The fact that the track is small makes it even more unoptimized, as you cant LOD out any of the tire objects. In my opinion, the top tire can be left as is, and the bottom ones made into basic cylinders... no need for the extra edge loops.

I agree with it being too bumpy, feels like a dirt road, can be toned down considerably. Shaders can use some loving too, grass and dirt dont have a detail texture, so everything looks rfactor1-ish.

But nice that its getting some updates :)

Thank you for your update, but the track seems to be too bumby for a race track now. Maybe you can tone down it a little bit and offer a second optional version of the road mesh.
The fictional light generators for night racing are a really good idea.

Thanks for the advice, you are not the only one finding it too bumpy, I like bumps, to me it add to the immersion and difficulty of the track, for a local track like that one it shouldn't feel like a new F1 track..

Anyway, I'm relatively new to modding, I try but it is not easy to get it right.

The file bumps+.kn5 has bumps of a maximum 2cm amplitude.

Here is a less bumpy layer that you can try:

bumps.kn5

It has bumps with a maximum of 1cm amplitude.

as you see the physical engine reacts really strongly to very little amplitude variation, these layer are completely empirical to what i feel is fun...

copy this file in the track layer
rename it bumps.kn5

open the models.ini file in a text editor and change
[MODEL_1]
FILE=bumps.kn5

another option is to completely remove bumps and use the original layer, the models.ini files should be modified like this:

[MODEL_0]
FILE=baskerville_beta_08.kn5
POSITION=0,0,0
ROTATION=0,0,0

;[MODEL_1]
;FILE=bumps.kn5
;POSITION=0,0,0
;ROTATION=0,0,0

[MODEL_2]
FILE=pneus.kn5
POSITION=0,0,0
ROTATION=0,0,0

[MODEL_3]
FILE=wanco.kn5
POSITION=0,0,0
ROTATION=0,0,0

well, i hope you find it better!

Attachments

• bumps.kn5.ini
    313 KB · Views: 114
The fact that the track is small makes it even more unoptimized, as you cant LOD out any of the tire objects. In my opinion, the top tire can be left as is, and the bottom ones made into basic cylinders... no need for the extra edge loops.

I agree with it being too bumpy, feels like a dirt road, can be toned down considerably. Shaders can use some loving too, grass and dirt dont have a detail texture, so everything looks rfactor1-ish.

But nice that its getting some updates :)

Thanks for the advices, i am still learning and haven't put the theory of LODS into practice yet...
Once in place, I joined the tyre mesh together to have less object. i kept each group of joined tyres below 30 000 polys. should i keep the tyres separate as individual object and add LODS info on each one via the batch command in ksEditor instead?

i can try to optimize the bottom tyres as you say with a simple cylinder, will it make a big difference?

edit: and about the textures, i like them as they are, didn't want to mess with nick's track, and with grassFX, it's fine with me... It is not my track, maybe this update will give him the urge to start working again to leave the beta stage :)

or someone can do some nice skins??

Last edited:
Here is a less bumpy layer that you can try:

bumps.kn5

It has bumps with a maximum of 1cm amplitude.

as you see the physical engine reacts really strongly to very little amplitude variation, these layer are completely empirical to what i feel is fun...

The new road mesh is much better, still very bumpy, but now it feels right for an old race track.
Thank you!

The track is too flat and the only corner that has the right profile is turn 4 (run up the hill) The camber on the other corners is negative when they should have positive camber. If you can improve on that it will be more accurate. Video's tend to flatten things out a little but you can see the difference especially with the corners

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back