Tutorial - Beginner's guide to making rFactor AIW

Here's a reposting of the guide to making the AIW file I did that was up on our old RSC forum.

You’ll need to download the AIWCamera editor [rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip]. Go to http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=devcorner where it's listed under:
Waypoint and camera editing tools
* Download v1.255 [zip]
Put the unzipped file [rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe] in your main rFactor folder and double click it to run rFactor with the editor.

You also need the 'Dev' files folder - this is essential for the AIW editor to work, but for some reason is not included with the editor. It used to be at RSC, but I've put a copy up here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb595c/n/rF_AIW_Editor_DevFiles_rar
Unzip this to your main rFactor folder. It contains two folders:
DEVFILES - the folder needed for the editor to work.
AIW Editor Docs - contains screenshots of the editor plus another guide to using it.

You can also use the AIW CAM Editor by Guitarmaen to fine tune the AI. I didn’t use it myself as I found I could do all I needed using the rFactor editor. Get this from rFactor Central, it’s under Addons\ Mod tools. It doesn’t have to be in the rFactor folder, but you need to edit the rF_AIW_CAM.conf file to point to your rFactor installation.

Cheers,
Chub

Attachments

• laymans guide to aiw.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 5,709
Hi guys, the game doesnt start when I click on the AIW.exe!
All I get is this window:
SCE.jpg

I have placed both AIW and DEV folders in the Rfactor main one and also tried them on a clean rFactor install!!

Can someone post a screenshot of how they have installed it in order to work?

Thanks in advance:)

As I said before. This can only be used to tweak an AIW, Not make.
To tweak - Put the "AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05" into the main rF directory (no other folders needed), open the "rF_AIW_CAM.conf" in notepad -
tracksdir=B:\Games\rFactor\GameData\Locations (path to Locations Folder)
WindowX=1920 (screen res)
WindowY=1080 (screen res)
Save file.
Read the TXT files that come with AIW CAM EDITOR .

As I said before. This can only be used to tweak an AIW, Not make.
To tweak - Put the "AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05" into the main rF directory (no other folders needed), open the "rF_AIW_CAM.conf" in notepad -
tracksdir=B:\Games\rFactor\GameData\Locations (path to Locations Folder)
WindowX=1920 (screen res)
WindowY=1080 (screen res)
Save file.
Read the TXT files that come with AIW CAM EDITOR .

I have done that already but still the game wont start...is there anything wrong with the my Dev folders location??
1.jpg
2.jpg

All I can do is load the track AIW file but just can't find a way to start the game with the tool...
3.jpg

This where I'm trying to get to:
pic.jpg

Is this the same tool?

Last edited:
You have unzipped the contents of the AIW editor into the rF directory.
In your rF directory you should have a folder "AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05" containing the files -

_a.bmp _b.bmp _c.bmp AIWhelp.txt Curves.pdf Readme.txt rF_AIW_CAM.conf
rF_AIW_CAM_405.exe rF_AIW_CAM_405.x rFAIWCAM.hhh rFAIWCAM.hlp What'sNew.txt xb.dll

Put it back together and try

In your rF directory you should have a folder
"AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05"
containing the files,
NOT "RF_AIW_CAM_EDIT_4.05"

"AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05"
is a stand alone software that does not use Dev folders.

Going back a few posts that were late coming in-

All I can do is load the track AIW file but just can't find a way to start the game with the tool...
3-jpg.278879

pic-jpg.278880

Is this the same tool?

Not the same tool.
You cannot make the AIW with AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05

Going back a few posts that were late coming in-

3-jpg.278879

pic-jpg.278880

Is this the same tool?

Not the same tool.
You cannot make the AIW with AIW CAM EDITOR 4.05

Can you tell me what tool is this on the last screenshot?
The original video description says: "In this video I will attempt to show you how to create an AIW file using rFactors AIW/Cam editor."

...I am so confused right now

The video is showing the rFactor AIW Editor, which will lay down an AIW line, start and pit spots etc. This does not work anymore.
The other was made by Guitarmaen and with it you can only move nodes / points of an AIW file which has already been made. This works but you need the AIW file to start with.

The video is showing the rFactor AIW Editor, which will lay down an AIW line, start and pit spots etc. This does not work anymore.
The other was made by Guitarmaen and with it you can only move nodes / points of an AIW file which has already been made. This works but you need the AIW file to start with.

So there's no other way to create Ai paths other than Bobs track builder spline editor? ...Thats a shame I cant seem to get any BTB spline to work correctly...Ai keeps on moving erratically, just wont drive smoothly through any corner.

If you have an AI file from BTB You can alter it in Guitarmaens Editor. It is good for getting a smooth curve through the corners. Send me the AIW file you have from BTB.

Thanks for the support. No need to create the proper Ai path yet, I'm still testing everything before finishing the project.
I'll be very gratefull if you can help me with that in the near future

Can you help me what to do?
I made a track with 2 loops, one above the other. Where the loops meet, the AIW is wrong.
I just want to delete these waypoints and save as a new .aiw file.

In 3DSimED, I can delete the faces, but it saves as .gmt file, instead of .aiw
aiw delete and save.png

In the AIW CAM EDIT I cannot find where is the option "delete waypoints" or "edit position".
I don't know also how to zoom or rotate the view.
Well, with this Amiga-like interface, I don't expect too much.
But how can I delete selected waypoints?
aiw errors.png

Trying trying...
what an idiotic "total number of waypoints"? What use of this? Recalculate after every edit?
what are SWP DWP CPS CPD CTD?
why have I to do it in RFactor, a game I completely don't know?

How can I simply move the wrong segments to the correct positions?
or delete them from .aiw?
how to move the wrong segments.png

The WP_Pos values are the location. Unfortunately there isn't a key combo to move them vertically. I think the second value is the height, so you'll have to just type it in (using the the previous 'correct' waypoint as a reference).

The corridors look wonky. The can be adjusted with Ctrl or Alt along with keypad + or - for the track edges, and right Ctrl or right Alt and keypad + or - for the barriers/walls.
(pressing h usually brings up a help prompt)

Can you confirm that the points you've used in BTB to generate the fastline aren't underneath/above the bridges/tunnels (see the attached image). The images shows two examples, the first causing an error. I've not looked at this in game myself so it's just a hunch.

edit: Also you've said that rFactor is a game you don't know. Do you mean you don't have it and you're making this track for one of the other gMotor2 games?

Attachments

• fastline_points_btb.jpg
    fastline_points_btb.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements