TS XW Racer SPARCO Rim Protection

M D Gourley

Premium
Hello everyone,
I purchased my new TS XW Racer with the fantastic Sparco rim and even though I tried some gloves I did not like wearing them as it reduced the button feel.
So to protect the rims genuine suede leather I decided to quickly wrap the rim when I purchased it with some old sweat shirt material I had lying around. A couple of weeks have passed and this wrapping of the rim with material as worked very well...so I have decided to do it a little better with some purchased 'Cotton Heading Tape' (picture attached).
The Cotton Tape is about 20mm thick and each side used about 2 meters in length with the centre spoke area using about 250mm. I did not need to use any adhesive tape to adhere it to the rim at the start of wrapping it because it had a slight velcro effect and the tightness kept it in place, but used a small piece of black felt adhesive tape at the every end just to keep that bit in place, but taping it onto the Cotton and not the suede leather.
It still feels comfortable to hold while protecting the suede leather and when it wears out, just remove and replace...just thought I would share.
BIRCH COTTON HEADING TAPE.jpg
TS XW RACER SPARCO RIM with tape.jpg

Hello everyone,
I purchased my new TS XW Racer with the fantastic Sparco rim and even though I tried some gloves I did not like wearing them as it reduced the button feel.
So to protect the rims genuine suede leather I decided to quickly wrap the rim when I purchased it with some old sweat shirt material I had lying around. A couple of weeks have passed and this wrapping of the rim with material as worked very well...so I have decided to do it a little better with some purchased 'Cotton Heading Tape' (picture attached).
The Cotton Tape is about 20mm thick and each side used about 2 meters in length with the centre spoke area using about 250mm. I did not need to use any adhesive tape to adhere it to the rim at the start of wrapping it because it had a slight velcro effect and the tightness kept it in place, but used a small piece of black felt adhesive tape at the every end just to keep that bit in place, but taping it onto the Cotton and not the suede leather.
It still feels comfortable to hold while protecting the suede leather and when it wears out, just remove and replace...just thought I would share. View attachment 218265 View attachment 218266

Upvote 0
Check out MacWet gloves. I use them for powered paragliding because they are very thin and offer excellent feel on the risers and throttle. They also have excellent grip.
Thanks for the info...I did try my 'FootJoy' brand Golf glove first which fits the hand very snugly, but still was not liking it as much as just wrapping the wheel rim and having natural fingers accessing the buttons.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 30 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 28 17.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Forum trophies