Truck Driver

The edge this has over ETS & ATS is that it is available for consoles. I think PC users will stick to ETS/ATS, but the console users will be drawn to Truck Driver if they consider the graphics & gameplay sufficient.

Also worth noting how friggin' popular ETS is compared to ATS. A lot of signs that the genre is primarily a European thing as ATS has now fallen in popularity down to AC's level while ETS is still over 20k players per day!

In a lot of racing game careers you start in go-karts or a junior Formula car, yet all of the Nordschleife is often available for when you work your way up to the big cars. What's the difference? I didn't say the big rigs shouldn't be there, just that it would be nice to have a slight variety of vehicles and job types and the option to drive smaller vehicles from time to time. That's a pretty common thing in most car/racing games, why do you find it unacceptable in a truck driving game?

I never implied that it was? I just don't like how it throws you right in the deep end from the get-go, no learning the ropes in smaller vehicles like in most games.

I think a training program to show you the ropes would be more of a solution than using smaller delivery trucks (ideally one that talks you through the steps, kinda like DCS' A-10C Flight Sim for example).

The world in ETS/ATS tends to be so compressed in scale that going from one end of a city to the other takes less than a minute...so if you're doing deliveries in small trucks, that typically only deliver within its city, how long will that take? It's probably one or the other: small trucks that stay within city limits and make the world scale 1:1 or 1:2, or big rigs that travel to different cities/countries and scale back the world considerably like ETS/ATS.

The trouble with cameras is that they break.
One of our replacement-drivers scraped the reversing-camera off my truck, and my 'beloved' mechanic hasn't gotten around to fixing it after 6 months.

My point is that it's a lot easier to use the mirrors and if applicable, using the cams as back-up, than the other way around.
We've got several drivers who refuse to use trailers without reversing cameras because they can't even reverse them into a gate, let alone navigate them around the inner city.

Oh yeah definitely prefer mirrors, the cams are handy and if anything that's broken doesn't get fixed I get err... Cranky lol.

Back on topic .. I didn't see any official truck licences? Or locations?

It'll be interesting to see what this game brings to the table, given the dominance of SCS sims over the years.

It's hard to tell anything from a short promo, but one thing that caught my eye was that it appeared to suggest that your hauling could affect the "community". The ability to have an actual affect on the world around you based on your cargo decisions could be an interesting dynamic.

One thing I really hope they get right is the AI traffic. I used to love the relaxation of cruising around in my virtual SCS truck, but I gave up some time ago because I got fed up of the brain-dead AI. In a game where a huge part of the gameplay is manoeuvring through traffic, I think it's ridiculous that we're getting whole states/countries as DLC and yet no effort at all to improve the AI and make it in any way realistic. THAT is a DLC I'd pay for happily, if it was the only way to get it done.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this one plays out. :thumbsup:
But that dominance is only on the PC. while the console market is 10 times bigger.
Smart move.

One thing I really hope they get right is the AI traffic. I used to love the relaxation of cruising around in my virtual SCS truck, but I gave up some time ago because I got fed up of the brain-dead AI. In a game where a huge part of the gameplay is manoeuvring through traffic, I think it's ridiculous that we're getting whole states/countries as DLC and yet no effort at all to improve the AI and make it in any way realistic. THAT is a DLC I'd pay for happily, if it was the only way to get it done.

Have you seen how real people drive? It's not that far off.

Exactly. Every mirror I've ever owned worked 100% of the time (unless it was dark). In contract, every piece of technology I own has maybe a 90% successful operation rate, most are
I think a training program to show you the ropes would be more of a solution than using smaller delivery trucks (ideally one that talks you through the steps, kinda like DCS' A-10C Flight Sim for example).

The world in ETS/ATS tends to be so compressed in scale that going from one end of a city to the other takes less than a minute...so if you're doing deliveries in small trucks, that typically only deliver within its city, how long will that take? It's probably one or the other: small trucks that stay within city limits and make the world scale 1:1 or 1:2, or big rigs that travel to different cities/countries and scale back the world considerably like ETS/ATS.

I guess I don't understand why smaller trucks would be unable to use the same routes that the big rigs travel. Why would the world have to be scaled back just because you're driving a different vehicle? Isn't that like saying the Nordschleife should be reduced when you're driving a Fiat? To me it seems like learning the ropes of navigating, obeying traffic laws, dealing with traffic might less intimidating in a smaller vehicle, then once you get all of that under your belt you can add the challenge of a big rig.

Anyway, this is just something I'd like to see. I'm not criticizing the game and I didn't say anyone needed to agree with me, nor do I really care if anyone does. :)

Smaller trucks and vans would be cool. How drab would flight sims be if it were just huge jets and no small prop planes or helicopters. Really need to be able to get in and out of the vehicle though. It's late and I'll stop before I whinge OT at the lack of development in sandbox games. Oh Arma 3, what you could've been... I suppose GTA is what we deserve. <_</

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back