Triple Screen Support

Hey guys,

im new to all this triple screen stuff!

DSC_0190.jpg

so here's the back of the PC, im assuming i connect all 3 screens to the top bar of my graphics card, DVI , HDMI and VG (AVG?)

if that's so, what connecter would i need for the 3rd slot? i live in the UK , so if anyone could provide a link for the correct adapter it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Jari is correct...

For normal ATi 'Eyefinity' the connections are 2x DVI plus a 3rd using Display port (usually with an 'active' converter to DVI)

Make sure you get an approved ACTIVE display port to DVI converter, it has to be the right type (about £20-30) Let me know if your not sure and I will help you :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
sorry, here's my specs , XFX R7870 2GB Edition.

Jari is correct...

For normal ATi 'Eyefinity' the connections are 2x DVI plus a 3rd using Display port (usually with an 'active' converter to DVI)

Make sure you get an approved ACTIVE display port to DVI converter, it has to be the right type (about £20-30) Let me know if your not sure and I will help you :)

im new to all this so any help is appreciated, links would definitely help and a explanation of it! , im totally noobish when it comes to PC's :D , is this the active one your on about brian? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-Mini-...ds_TW&hash=item35bdc1502d&_uhb=1#ht_794wt_912

Scott

That looks like a mini display port , so you sure going to need one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Mi...ELLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350120516&sr=8-1 and connect the below cable to this adaptor .

And if you are are buying monitors ( as opposed to tv's ) you will need another dvi-d cable like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Pla...14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1350120809&sr=1-14

Finally you can use the cable you already have which looks like a hdmi to the last monitor.
i have Iiyama 24 Inch Screens LCD

Upvote 0
Based on the design of the card, if it is an ATI card, you would need a mini display port adapter that is of the active design. The regular display port size would not fit.

This is the adapter I use, but not sure who you would go through in the UK to get it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815129012

The ones posted by Jari appear to be the correct ones as well.

Gee I remember what we went through when Eyefinity was on the door for entry into our world the confusion about displayport and adapters active and passive....sheesh.

I just want to point out "Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter " you see the DVI-D...make sure the unit you get clearly states that...look at all links supplied.....but for security measures Jim cole link above is the right one...read it.

Anyway, for what it's worth that was the key for my eyefinity to work....after 5 active adapters.

Upvote 0
Gee I remember what we went through when Eyefinity was on the door for entry into our world the confusion about displayport and adapters active and passive....sheesh.

I just want to point out "Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter " you see the DVI-D...make sure the unit you get clearly states that...look at all links supplied.....but for security measures Jim cole link above is the right one...read it.

Anyway, for what it's worth that was the key for my eyefinity to work....after 5 active adapters.
so im really confused, you have nvidia so that may be why you needed DVI-D , i have ATI, and for the guys i know they have said this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-Mini-...ds_TW&hash=item35bdc1502d&_uhb=1#ht_794wt_912

but it doesn't say DVI-D , it's only DVI , and yet it works for them, so what one do i get? because theres mixed messages now :(

Upvote 0
Ok Scott, I have ATI Xfire 5870's, best I stay out of this then, Brian says it works so be it. but I leave you with this info: I don't understand why a "D" worked for me and a single did not, maybe if someone has time to explain well and good. I have 3 46" Lcd TV's with max res of 1920x1080p each if that helps...info I went by as below
WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors.
These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling).
Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter,
while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality;
i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600​

Upvote 0
The only difference between the DVI-D and the DVI-I is that the -I sends out both digital and analog signals while the -D only sends out digital. With today's flat panel monitors you should only need the -D while with Televisions you might need the analog signal available in the -I. There is also a difference in single link and dual link DVI, and dual link is usually required for those monitors that support 120Hz instead of 60.

Upvote 0
so my screens arrived today and the adapter, all 1 day early :).

i would like to thank everyone of you for the help, and you are right Vito, for now i will use the DVI adapter but in the future i will upgrade to the one you said, much appreciated for the info!

Thank you all guys, screenshot will come once it's all setup :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes