Triple Monitor Setup Questions - Refresh Rates

Hi all,

I'm glad to say I'm excited to be simming again now that I have committed to a new rig and setup. I'm still in the setup stage, and I need some help with getting the triples sorted. I see tons of posts about triples and lots of YT but I end up being more confused than not, so I decided to post here in hopes that you gurus would be able to help. I would like some help in setting up my triples properly so that I can start racing!

Background:
I am running triple Dell S3220DGF 1440p 32" monitors on RTX 2070 Super, with DP 1.4 cables. This monitor is freesync/gsync compatible, and I've turned it on both in the monitors and Nvidia control panel, and they all work individually.

Problem:
The monitor has 2 DEFAULT refresh rate settings available - 60hz and 165hz. I don't mind running them in 165hz but there is probably no way I would be able to achieve those frames with 3x monitors. I would like to be able to run them at refresh rates in between, say 100, 120 or 144hz and take advantage of gsync. Now, if I go into Nvidia settings, I can create custom resolutions with these refresh rates for each monitor and it works. However, when I enable NV Surround, it creates a single display of 7680x1440 with only 60 and 165hz options. When I try to create a custom resolution to add other refresh rates, it will not allow me to, as there is no option to do so.

Questions:
- from what I have been researching, it seems the answer lies with CRU - custom resolution utility - it looks like a powerful tool but here is where I need help. Will I be able to achieve what I want - 7680x1440 with the manual refresh options of my choosing? If so, how? And how will I account for the bezel adjustment?
- I have also seen others NOT using NV Surround at all - ie just 3 individual displays - and that they can still sim race in triples without it. How does this work and which is the better option?

I hope I am being clear, if not I hope I can provide more clarification. Thanks!

I may be mis-reading your issue, however the benefit of Adaptive Sync (i.e. G-Sync, FreeSync) is it helps alleviate concerns if your PC cannot run at your monitor's full Hz speed. The technology is designed to adjust the monitor's Hz on the fly, so it matches the frame rate your PC is capable of running.

For example, if your PC can only generate 70fps, then the monitor will automatically adjust to 70Hz. If in the next millisecond you PC can generate 125fps, the monitor will adjust to 125Hz.

Adaptive Sync technology is a marvel because it means super-smooth images and reduced lag. Therefore there is no need for you to set a custom reduced Hz. Just leave it at 165Hz.

Now having said that, while Nvidia cards can now activate Adaptive Sync on single FreeSync monitors, the issue becomes a lot more complicated with multiple monitors. For triples, Nvidia supports the following:

- G-Sync, G-Sync Ultimate: These are Nvidia’s proprietary standard and Adaptive Sync is fully supported across Triples;

- G-Sync Compatible: These are FreeSync monitors that need a certain specification so that Nvidia supports these too, and they include these specific monitors within the Nvidia graphics card drivers; however I have seen some multi-monitor users report issues;

- Freesync, FreeSync 2, FreeSync Premium, FreeSync Premium Pro: Similar to above these are all FreeSync monitors but they either don't meet Nvidia's required specifications, or Nvidia haven't gotten around to certifying them as G-Sync Compatible, and hence have not included monitor support within their drivers. For Triples, these monitors are Buyer Beware. Adaptive Sync may or may not work. These could mean many things like Adaptive Sync won't work, to getting artefacts like flickering.

Normally Nvidia Surround is required to activate Adaptive Sync & bezel adjustment across Triples, and this is where Triple FreeSync users can become unstuck. Some games (e.g. iRacing) can work across Triples when Nvidia Surround is turned off, by using Windowed Mode and stretching the image across 3 monitors. What is unclear to me is whether Adaptive Sync is actually running in this configuration.

Back to your problem, I don't have an answer for you, but it appears 2 of your options are:
- Keep Nvidia Surround running and leave the Hz at 165; or if that doesn't work

- Turn off Nvidia Surround and use Windowed mode to stretch the image across your screens. Some sim racing titles allow you to adjust for bezels inside the game (e.g. AMS2, rFactor 2, iRacing, …) and thus you can bypass Nvidia Surround's bezel adjustment.

However in either instance we don't know if Adaptive Sync will work across triples because the Dell S3220DGF is not G-Sync Compatible and each monitor is different. You would have to tell us based on your experimentation.

Good luck and let us know how you go….

Hi, thanks for the informative response! You are correct that I may not actually understand exactly how this sync function works, and from everyone's responses it seems that keeping it at 165hz will be fine as NV surround gives me that option. Whether adaptive sync will work or not remains to be seen (will update when I get a chance) and whether NV surround or windowed is also the next test. I've read things about Borderless Gaming, I'm assuming it's something to do with using windowed mode. Anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but unfortunately I'm still waiting for my wheel rim to arrive

however the benefit of Adaptive Sync (i.e. G-Sync, FreeSync)
Calling G-Sync/FreeSync "adaptive sync" can lead to a great deal of confusion, because there's a long-time feature in nVidia drivers called "adaptive sync" that does something different than G-Sync/Freesync. nVidia adaptive sync is an enhanced version of vsync where if your framerate is above your refresh rate, vsync is on, and when it's below your refresh rate, vsync is off.

G-Sync/Freesync, on the other hand, adjust your monitor refresh rate on the fly so it's equal to your current framerate.

When you say "adaptive sync", people generally think you're talking about the nVidia feature.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back