Transfăgărăşan

It's quite nice, is the steep part very early that steep in real life? I was like "I hope I get up there".

It seems like the height map is lower resolution than the road map, so whenever the road goes "downhill" (generally towards the start) it drops, then rises again as it goes uphill, rather than following a generally rising route over more detailed hills.

There are only a couple sections where it's particularly noticeable, one's near the start, and then later,
Gujr2.jpg

I looked at the .kmz files you posted, but they are in the wrong format. You apparently used Google Earth 4 and I can load them into Blender if they are in the regular Google Earth .kmz format.

Take your time creating the track....important is to get it right !

I've also tried for my first track BTB which is a great app to create tracks, still I wonder how you'll merge the mountains & all the stuff to your existing track. I would use heightmaps to get the terrain right & then from there, create the rest.

The problem with the DEM around the fagarasan is it's quite low res.

I was going to start this track myself actually, was gathering data but got stuck when I was looking for terrain height data. IMHO that's one of the most important things - especially on a track like this which relies on the scenery and elevation so heavily. That's what I'd probably spend the most time on.

You have some problems with your 'frustum' so you really need to extend further your track to your skydome...
And sure, scenery is missing, I mean the details you'll see from your perspective/camera view from a good distance even though you could constrain cams as desired....hmmm

I've came some time ago with a whole new concept, done in Crytek Engine 2, where my map was extracted/generated from a HM & exported from there & further modded...

Just use 3DS Max... 2010 or something is probably the nicest (imo)

Once learnt it's well worth the investment in time if you want to make really nice stuff.

Dave

Where I can find tree wall textures? This is ugly(and inappropriate):

If you have some skills in image editing (photoshopping) and you have some nice regular billboard trees, you can actually create your own tree walls quite easily.

Just create a 1024x256 (or 2048x256 or 2048x512) texture and start adding the regular trees there, but leave a little bit of empty space on both ends of the texture. Then do a texture offset horizontally 50% (that is, moving the image horizontally half the width of the texture so that the empty space is in the center of the image) and add a few more trees to fill the empty gap.

Then merge all trees together so the alpha channel is preserved and you have your tree wall!

If you have some skills in image editing (photoshopping) and you have some nice regular billboard trees, you can actually create your own tree walls quite easily.

Just create a 1024x256 (or 2048x256 or 2048x512) texture and start adding the regular trees there, but leave a little bit of empty space on both ends of the texture. Then do a texture offset horizontally 50% (that is, moving the image horizontally half the width of the texture so that the empty space is in the center of the image) and add a few more trees to fill the empty gap.

Then merge all trees together so the alpha channel is preserved and you have your tree wall!

That's brilliant!

Hi there. Could you please reduce your road cross-section to just 2 points, representing the margins?
It makes adding splines hundreds of times easier, and they will match the road 100%, so no more car hanging or pinball jumping.

Noooo, splines can now be used just for AI and mini-map... so you can author them on a separate mesh (isolated in TrackEd), and then drive on a higher density mesh :D
Flat road surfaces are bland and boring to drive on... even on a race track the flat cross-section leaves a lot to be desired!

Dave

Well there are 3d modeling sites like turbosquid -through turbosquid is too expensive.There are sites out there that have many models and textures for free! (Just google 3d model markets )

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.