Tracks Track with Lidar data help

Hi there,
I got some raw lidar data of some track, converted them to obj successfully, but since both are over 1GB big, my computer can import somehow, but cannot work with any of them (to weak for moving 30 million faces of each file). So, what to do now?
There is 75% of unwanted landscape in each of the file, if I would get rid of it somehow, I could start working.
It`s some small track in out country. Any help appreciated.

vransko.jpg

Last edited:
Great! :thumbsup:
Why the OBJ format though? It does something to the mesh rotation, like 90 degrees on the X axis i think...

I've had great luck with binary STL export and importing it into Max, the mesh north orientation stays true :)

I got las files, and I only how to convert to obj. But its not a problem, since I got all. But now is the problem, challenge how to clear the mesh, to get the road out, and all beside it (but even road would be fine). Never worked with point to cloud data (whole mesh of terrain).

Last edited:
Not that I would know. Where to look for that? If you are willing, you can take a look, i already removed all unwanted mesh.
I will try a bit more by my self, there are few different types of files, will check them all.

Last edited:
I got something more decent values, now the whole mesh consists of 350.000 polygons:
But still no clue how I would define where the roads are (as you can see from the image of the 1st post, there are plenty of roads all over). Hmm.. maybe would be reasonable to put an image on the mesh, and cut out from there...

vransko.jpg

Would you not just create lofted roads, using the point cloud as a 3D template? That is how I worked on Charade using lidar. Quick and easy to do.

Would you not just create lofted roads, using the point cloud as a 3D template? That is how I worked on Charade using lidar. Quick and easy to do.
Could you possibly translate this to beginner? I'm eager to learn but I couldn't follow this sorry. What is this "quick and easy" you speak of? Did I pronounce that correctly?

You could create a horizontal plane the size of the landscape, map it to a google satellite image (might have to turn off elevation when capturing, tweak uv to match), then shrink it down to the lidar mesh. That can become now your visual guide for splines, etc

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.0%