Track builders' project invitation

5 years ago when i took my first steps into track building, i compiled a video as an ultimate track. I'm now ready to tackle such a huge project. Any experienced track builders interested in working with me on this, message me.

The concept is to create the track configuration as close to real as possible using lazer data, with some obvious artistic license for blending corners and elevation. Trackside, environment, buildings, stands etc would be entirely fictional. This would give the feel of continuity that it's one original circuit rather than multiple circuits patched together. where i need help is getting the data together.

I work with Bobs, and then do post production clean up editing in 3DsimEd. I've tried getting gps data from Google maps and via TCX converter / kms files importing to Bobs but im not proficient. Anyone instered in this who can help create the track layout, or has a better idea of how to build this, i'm keen to hear from you.

Here's the track configuration as a snapshot. YT blocked my video as FOM claimed copyright (appealed)

Attachments

• Snapshot - 2.png
    Snapshot - 2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hello man. So I post a thread (the first one) on what I can do with graphics. It shows Donington at 6:00 AM.
I will post lot more, probably.
Im looking to work on an easy already done track (like Donington) making it look the most amazing but doing it the simpliest and the cleanest way, so from there we can standarize the process (something easy for me), the textures, the shadows, etc. so then we can move to the next more difficult track.
Is like.. you don´t go and lift the heavy weights until you prove yourself with the lightests.
This is an SS (screenshot) from one track that I can not move forward because Im not a track builder. But I can make any track to look that good. But it has problems with some shadows and some textures and some square curves, etc.
BTW Im a physics guy. And I have already conquer that (and Im been humble). I need to post a video on that but first we all want and need tracks that deserves a video.Scirocco GC10 BTCS - Long Beach 2007 (holacrosty Mod).JPG

Hello man. So I post a thread (the first one) on what I can do with graphics. It shows Donington at 6:00 AM.
I will post lot more, probably.
Im looking to work on an easy already done track (like Donington) making it look the most amazing but doing it the simpliest and the cleanest way, so from there we can standarize the process (something easy for me), the textures, the shadows, etc. so then we can move to the next more difficult track.
Is like.. you don´t go and lift the heavy weights until you prove yourself with the lightests.
This is an SS (screenshot) from one track that I can not move forward because Im not a track builder. But I can make any track to look that good. But it has problems with some shadows and some textures and some square curves, etc.
BTW Im a physics guy. And I have already conquer that (and Im been humble). I need to post a video on that but first we all want and need tracks that deserves a video.View attachment 371610

Ya that looks really good!

There's still a lot of GTR2 fans around so we'd love to see new work.

Good luck!

Hi. There's an Xpack of HQ textures which came with the 10th anniversary batch. You'll find a lot of good stuff there. But I also like to create my own. It's easy enough. So for example, you can pull any standard Company logo from the internet, for example Castrol and Champion. Open them up in Paint.net (free software). Now you can pull a texture, for this example i used old concrete for castrol, and painted wood for Champion. In paint, add the second texture as an overla and reduce the opacity. A few touched with the eraser on a soft setting, tweak the contrast and colours then flatten and save as a .DDS (remember to use powers of two so 1024 x 128 or 512 x 256 for example.) So now you have two unique textures you can use as walls or barriers that have advertizing on them but appear painted onto the walls. Giving it a more realistic effect than simply inserting in a product logo.

Anything that's going to be in the distance, such a building/farm house doesn't need to be HQ, so you can keep the kb down, but if it's something close, like a wall or barrier you might come in contact with, it should be HQ. higher dpi and kb.

I sort all my textures into catagories (track, Ground, grass, wall, barrier, sponsor ... you get the idea) so when you open the .trk in 3DsimED you can easily find what you want and replace the textures.

Just one thing. If you are editing someone else's work, and if you're doing it for yourself, own use, i'm surewit's ok, what the don't know don't hurt them. But you might want to reach out to them (there should be a ReadMe in the track file) and check they don't mind before posting up stuff online or releasing the edited track. I doubt they will mind if it's been an improvement, but just as a matter of courtesy contact them first.

It's a nice job you've done. I'm more interested in building tracks from scratch. My problem is i only work in BTB for the initial track layout, then all the post production editing i do in 3DsimED. To build the track i want (see video , blocked in some coun tries because of FOM copyright claim) i need someone who has the lazer/GPS data so i can splice the sections together. Once the track is laid out, and the trackside elements added, then i'd be more than happy to have someone such as yourself assist with the HQ texture editing.

Just need to find someone who knows how to create the KMZ file with the waypoints.

Texture samples. Originals and edited. Easily done in Paint.net (quicker and easier than Photoshop for creating textures)
You can search pretty much any texture (canvas, metal, brick) and logo online create really nice HQ textures. Add tyre marks to rumble strips, tyre scuff marks to brickwalls on street circuits. The possibilities are endless.

Attachments

• Samples.jpg
    Samples.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 66
With respect to the track im hoping to build, i pulled all the sections GPX/GPS data off Google Earth last night, converted them to a CSV, and imported to Bobs Track Builder as individual open ended tracks (as you would for a rally stage). I've successfully spliced all the sections together to make one closed circuit track ( btw Shovas it's 12kms long ) .... now in the process of creating single continuous racing line/centerline. If i can nail that, then that's the most probelmatic part done.

I'll reduce the final track to 8-9 kms if possible without compromising the integrity of the sections

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea