Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The new Tony Stewart branded sprint car racing title has received a new DLC update today - adding the popular Knoxville Raceway location as additional purchasable content within the game.

One of the more popular locations on the US dirt track calendar, the self titled "Sprint Car Capital of the World" is a semi-banked 1/2 mile dirt oval raceway located at the Marion County Fairgrounds in Knoxville, Iowa. Having regularly held events at both local and national level for over 100 years, the course is often referenced as one of the more popular tracks visited by the stars of American dirt track racing.

The new track is available for around $5.99.

Original Source: Tony Stewart Game

Tony Stewart Sprint Car Racing is available now on Xbox One and PS4 and PC.

If you have questions about the game, drop in to the Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our awesome community help you out!

Tony Stewart Knoxville Raceway.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

Never heard about that game ...oh..wait, it's a console game ? playable with a pad...and with exterior view ?....oh boy....
Why not, after all, some will probably like it and give it a go....
For my part, iracing sprintcar at knoxville is good enough^^ but thx for talkin' to this (any new thing could potentially be interesting ...or notXD)
@++

I bought it day one like a schmuck. I never do that, but $30 is different than a $60 title. I play on PC with a wheel. FFB is good, you really work the wheel when you're going fast. I chose to buy this b/c I mainly race offline. I LOVE watching WoO on iRacing, but there's no point in me getting that if I can only race online. TSSCR at least has a career mode that I can play. The AI are mean, and the cars understeer way too much. The career is grindy. But the payoff will be worth it. I've done quick races in top-level cars and its a rush. High line, low line, splitting lap traffic, everything. Looking forward to progressing more.

I used to live about an hour from Knoxville, but never went to a race (to my regret). They also have a cool museum there - mostly sprint cars, but some more traditional racecars, too. Also to my regret, I never went there either!

As an interesting (?) side note, Knoxville is only about 30 mins away from Newton where the 7/8s mile paved oval that Indy runs on every year is located. Iowa is pretty sparsely populated, so sort of interesting that there are two relatively high profile tracks in such close proximity to each other. It's not like this is Indianapolis and Monaco by any stretch, but they are certainly tracks that would be immediately familiar to those people into sprint cars or IndyCars.

I might try the game out, seems like people have some good things to say about it. It's certainly a fun type of racing - visually very appealing with the cars running sideways so near to one another, kicking up rooster tails, etc. Paved oval racing can look too easy. Of course, any of us who have tried to set a good laptime in a sim can tell you there is nothing easy about it - those cars are balanced right on the edge of adhesion. As a spectator, you really have to know what to look for to tell that, though. With dirt track oval racing, it's extremely obvious that the driver is really having to work. People like that.

Ruttman98

Premium
I met the curator of the Knoxville Speedway at the USAC Hall of Fame induction ceremony held at the IMS Museum in which my cousin Troy Ruttman was honored. I hope a portion of that DLC goes to the Knoxville track and the affiliated museum collection.

I have been wanting to state the following about this game's namesake for awhile:

Love him or hate him, Tony Stewart cannot seem to escape his past anger issues. Then there is the very unfortunate and highly controversial on-track incident that left (a perhaps similarly enraged driver like a young Smoke?) fellow competitor (who exited his vehicle to rant on a hot track) dead. Things happen so fast in this fragile life . . .

When I think of Tony, I think of passion. Passion for racing and sprint cars in particular. He bought and continues to operate Eldora Speedway--one of the core Midwest dirt tracks.

If he receives any ongoing royalties from this game, it would be great if he reinvests it in this homegrown North American form of racing whether it be preservation of its roots in museums and commemorations, keeping the bull rings running, or supporting youngsters wishing to continue the dirt legacy.

Ruttman98

Premium
I used to live about an hour from Knoxville, but never went to a race (to my regret). They also have a cool museum there - mostly sprint cars, but some more traditional racecars, too. Also to my regret, I never went there either!

As an interesting (?) side note, Knoxville is only about 30 mins away from Newton where the 7/8s mile paved oval that Indy runs on every year is located. Iowa is pretty sparsely populated, so sort of interesting that there are two relatively high profile tracks in such close proximity to each other. It's not like this is Indianapolis and Monaco by any stretch, but they are certainly tracks that would be immediately familiar to those people into sprint cars or IndyCars.

I might try the game out, seems like people have some good things to say about it. It's certainly a fun type of racing - visually very appealing with the cars running sideways so near to one another, kicking up rooster tails, etc. Paved oval racing can look too easy. Of course, any of us who have tried to set a good laptime in a sim can tell you there is nothing easy about it - those cars are balanced right on the edge of adhesion. As a spectator, you really have to know what to look for to tell that, though. With dirt track oval racing, it's extremely obvious that the driver is really having to work. People like that.
I grew up in West Des Moines. Often saw the Knoxville water tower and the track passing through town going to bass fishing tournaments.

Like you, I regret I never saw or race or viewed to the museum collection, but I did attend a collectible swap meet at track which is where I first encountered "the King"--Richard Petty.

The Knoxville Nationals are on my automotive bucket list. If any RDers ever plan to go, I am only 2.5 hours away. Let's meet up some year!

Small world. My sister lives in W. Des Moines (in the middle of the new shopping area) and we were going to see her this summer with the kids and see the Sprint Car HOF and one of the qualifying days of the Nationals. Not sure what the summer holds now. There's always Tony Stewart's Sprint Car Racing!!

$$$$$$$$ is what it is all about.

Well yeah. Video game production is a business which means it's about $$$$$$. Motorsport is really about £££££££ in terms of costs, and is in itself a business which means €€€€€€€€.

Honestly without context I really can't understand your statement. Stating that it's all about ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ means nothing as everybody is looking to make 元元元元元元元 otherwise they can't pay the rent/mortgage, other bill and feed themselves.

Who would have guessed that, of all places, Racedepartment would turn into "Six Degrees of the Des Moines Metro" :D

I'll tell you what though...having lived out of state for a good while now, my observation: Iowans WILL find each other. Whether you're at the airport or the park or in line at a fast food restaurant, if someone from Iowa manages to spot someone else they suspect of being from Iowa, a conversation almost inevitably ensues! I live in the Denver area now; a fellow Iowan at work literally maintains a list of all the people from Iowa who work at our company and their hometowns. There's absolutely no point to it, it's just literally an inventory of Iowans working at the company. I don't know if it's cool, pathetic, or just weird (maybe a combination of the 3?)

Ruttman98

Premium
Who would have guessed that, of all places, Racedepartment would turn into "Six Degrees of the Des Moines Metro" :D

I'll tell you what though...having lived out of state for a good while now, my observation: Iowans WILL find each other. Whether you're at the airport or the park or in line at a fast food restaurant, if someone from Iowa manages to spot someone else they suspect of being from Iowa, a conversation almost inevitably ensues! I live in the Denver area now; a fellow Iowan at work literally maintains a list of all the people from Iowa who work at our company and their hometowns. There's absolutely no point to it, it's just literally an inventory of Iowans working at the company. I don't know if it's cool, pathetic, or just weird (maybe a combination of the 3?)
I was born in Omaha--I typically end up finding the Nebraskans.

Ruttman98

Premium
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Knoxville facility, but I can tell you from the onboard shot posted by Duke55 that at least one sponsor is accurate to the geographic region: Casey's is an Iowa-based chain of convenience stores scattered around the Midwest. Here's a closeup:

Screenshot_20200430-211553_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Has this game been improving since its launch? I've asked at that time whether it was at least as good as the dirt part of nascar heat 4 (the same developper) and someone answered it was far from being as good. Is it still the case?

I have it completely off and yet during every single race the crowd still is louder than the car when I’m going by the stands. Or when I’m trying to tune my car all I can hear is damn rednecks screaming and whistling. Lol Am I somehow missing something to shut the crowd volume completely off? Thanks in advance!

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.2%
  • €3001-5000