Thrustmaster Reliability?

I'm considering upgrading from my Logitech G29 to a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer 488 Challenge Edition. ( Note: I will continue to use my Fanatec pedals with it.) But I'm a bit wary of Thrustmaster's reliability based upon reviews and Youtube comments I've read.

Am I right in thinking twice before ordering anything Thrustmaster? Or are these concerns overblown? Any reasons not to go with this upgrade?

THanks!

Have had a TS-PC for over 2 years now. The power supply went belly up in a few months. The Thrustmaster support was a real PITA, wanting photos/videos to show what was/wasn't working, so I just purchased a thrid-party power supply (I think I got the model # from this forum) from an online retailer. That PS has worked like a charm since I purchased. A+ for the wheel, D- for the TM support. Also have the T3PA-Pro pedals and gated shifter. No issues with either.

I'm wondering if you had any more details on the after market power supply that's been working for you? My TS-PC quit yesterday after only 5 months and even though it's under warranty, the initial response to my ticket from TM will be at least 15 days due to the pandemic.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm worried to hear there are potential problems with the power supply of the TS-PC racer.

On a positive side though I did have a good experience with Thrustmaster RMA recently. I bought a TS-PC 488 edition from the RD marketplace in mid March but it had a problem with the motor fan making a very loud noise.

I first contacted TM on March 20th, the wheel base left here for France on the 27th and on April 15th I had it back repaired and working well. It was sorted very quickly, especially considering it was just after everywhere went into lockdown.

Has anyone found that the rotation force during start up procedure/calibration (when usb is connected) seems excessively strong? It hits against the end stops very hard and I worry this could cause a failure over time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a T150 pro with T3PA pedals. Bought new, it is working fine for a month or so. However, before that, I did try to buy an older second hand cheaper thrustmaster 458 ITALIA wheel with plastic pedals etc. and the wheel didn't calibrate on the axis properly.

From what I read online, it depends more on the model. In other words, I don't think the brand is defective per se. More just that they released some models of wheels that had some reliability issues for some of their batches once upon a time, and they also released poor plastic pedal options.

This is a different issue to the metal pedals being good, and other wheel models being more reliable than similar price bracket logitech models.

Although I cannot speak personally for higher end wheels and long periods of time, it is based on what I read.

Upvote 0
Oh, but I have a big problem now with my T300rs. I moved and the power cable is in some unknown box. And I can't seem to be able to buy this flat 3-prong power cable anywhere. Special cable == bad idea.

Sorry I have only just seen this post - if by some chance you are still looking, you can buy a power cable direct from Thrustmaster, just go to their spares section. I bought one recently, I think it was £7 plus postage.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if you had any more details on the after market power supply that's been working for you? My TS-PC quit yesterday after only 5 months and even though it's under warranty, the initial response to my ticket from TM will be at least 15 days due to the pandemic.

Sorry to bring this back up, just wondering if you've gotten anywhere on an aftermarket power supply. I can't seem to find anything despite searching for a bit.

Upvote 0
I think any generic 24v 4amp+ power supply will work. I was given a used T500RS which came with one of these generic units and it worked fine for years.

I have also read about people using their old T500 PSUs to power their TS-PC wheels, so... :unsure:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back