Thinking of making my own side mount brackets, good idea?

I would like to modify my seating position to something more reclined. My current side mount brackets do not allow me to do so, specially because I cannot lower the rear part any further (bass shaker mounted under the seat). So, I have considered making my own brackets with taller front columns. I know there are many models available to purchase. The problem is also that I have shakers on the sides of my seat and I need a model that does not interfere with them. Making a custom design can solve this problem. Do you think 5 mm aluminum would be fine or better use 3 mm steel? This is the design I have made after taking all sort of measurements. The model in gray is the one I currently have. The new one would get me 6 or 7 extra degrees. This would also imply moving some other parts of my cockpit for a perfect ergonomy and possibly raising my pedals.

proyecto-laterales-asiento.jpg

Last edited:
I also wanted more recline than many side mounts offer. If you want even more adjustability options, consider fabricating something like the Motamec adjustable sidemounts I use:

Last edited:
That´s a good price.

Would the company also do powder coating?
(Sneakily asking where you ordered the parts as I plan to have my cockpit plate laser cut and powdered ;))

No, it's a small Spanish company. I have already ordered other pieces to them. I never paint them, only some sanding to smooth the edges.

I needed to do the same thing and locally there was nothing about and if there was my tight wallet may have objected. In the end i just cut and drilled the ends of some 5mm aluminium bar and bolted them in to the seat and the bottom mount. Zero issues with this, it is as stable as it was before with motion, lots of tactile and pedals set to ~100kg.
Looks like you will need to click on the image to see it fully with the part.

Edit, I will admit you don't see this on mine as my seat is buried in the 200x40 frame of my p1 so your milage may vary on if this is acceptable visually.

Attachments

• 1634616743724.jpg
    1634616743724.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I needed to do the same thing and locally there was nothing about and if there was my tight wallet may have objected. In the end i just cut and drilled the ends of some 5mm aluminium bar and bolted them in to the seat and the bottom mount. Zero issues with this, it is as stable as it was before with motion, lots of tactile and pedals set to ~100kg.
Looks like you will need to click on the image to see it fully with the part.

Edit, I will admit you don't see this on mine as my seat is buried in the 200x40 frame of my p1 so your milage may vary on if this is acceptable visually.
haha, yes that was my other idea (quick and easy) but it didn't look very elegant. This is a quick photo retouch I made to test the idea:

inclinacion-asiento.jpg

By they way, do anyone has an idea why seat mount brackets are designed like that? I mean why so many holes on the front? Who could set his seat at 90º or even less (apart from Elfyn Evans maybe)?

Last edited:
By they way, do anyone has an idea why seat mount brackets are designed like that? I mean why so many holes on the front? Who could set his seat at 90º or even less (apart from Elfyn Evans maybe)?
Me actually ;)

Coming from irl "sporty driving" I prefer an rather upright seating postion.
In the cars I use(d) this is necessary to have complete contact to the back/headrest and still be able to handle wheel and pedals, especially when fixated by a harness.

My sim seat is slightly more reclined as I don´t have to fight of G-Forces and do other things in the rig apart from racing where relaxed sitting is necessary.

Also I brake with upper thigh and hip muscles, so the seat bottom can´t be tiltet too much.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back