The best Nascar game of all time

One name stands out as a legendary game developer in the vast realm of racing games: Image Space Incorporated (ISI). With its impressive portfolio, ISI has left an indelible mark on the industry, spanning three notable eras: the EA (Electronic Arts) Era, the Rfactor Era, and the post-Rfactor Era.
During the EA era, ISI formed a fruitful collaboration with EA, assuming the roles of producer and marketer for their games. This partnership resulted in the creation of exceptional racing simulator titles that garnered widespread acclaim.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.10.jpeg

Love them or hate them, EA played
a vital role in early ISI Games.

ISI reached the pinnacle of its success during the EA era, releasing several unforgettable racing games that captivated players worldwide. Among these treasures were F1 2000, F1 2002, F1 Challenge 99-02, and the crown jewel of Nascar racing—Nascar Thunder 2004. Renowned as one of the greatest Nascar games ever made, Nascar Thunder 2004 took the console gaming world by storm, leaving an enduring impact on racing enthusiasts.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.11.jpeg

Initially launched for the PlayStation platform, Nascar Thunder 2004 enjoyed immense popularity and captivated a vast audience of racing fans. However, it's important to note that an often overlooked PC port of the game was also developed, granting PC gamers the opportunity to experience the adrenaline-fueled excitement of Nascar racing on their preferred platform.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.13_1 (2).jpeg

All the drivers and liveries from the season are present.

Even today, the game can be played on modern Windows 10 systems with some modifications. By manually adjusting the video mode in the Config file, players can savor the game in a glorious 1920x1080 resolution, immersing themselves in its visual splendor. Furthermore, implementing antialiasing through the video card software reduces the familiar pixelated gameplay at the time of the game's original release. With its compatibility extending to modern sim setups with multi-controller support, Nascar Thunder 2004 is a thrilling choice for racing enthusiasts.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.12_1.jpeg

Nascar Thunder 2004 specializes in providing a true-to-life experience of circle track racing. Its hallmark achievement lies in simulating slipstreaming and pack racing, where staying within the slipstream of other cars is crucial for success. The game's artificial intelligence (AI) drivers showcase impressive racing skills, emulating real-life racing tactics. These AI drivers dynamically react to the player's actions, strategically blocking and exhibiting aggression when provoked. Intriguingly, they possess memory capabilities, enabling them to remember the player's behavior and target them in subsequent races, elevating the challenge and strategic depth of the gameplay experience.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.49_1 (2).jpeg

Although the force feedback in Nascar Thunder 2004 may be considered rudimentary by today's standards, it effectively immerses players in the game's visceral racing environment. Calibrated for circle tracks, the force feedback system provides a tangible sense of accomplishment as players successfully navigate and control their vehicles during exhilarating slides. Additionally, car setup settings play a pivotal role, as making suitable adjustments can determine the outcome of a race, demanding careful consideration and skillful tinkering.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.11_1.jpeg

One of the standout features that set Nascar Thunder 2004 apart is its provision of full-length races. Players can embark on marathon sessions, enduring grueling three-hour races at iconic tracks like the revered Indianapolis. The sense of achievement derived from completing these endurance challenges is unparalleled, immersing players in the essence of real-life Nascar racing.

NASCAR_Thunder_2004_2023.06.25-08.52_2.jpeg

Tuning and adjusting car setup is vital in Nascar Thunder.

Despite being overshadowed by the release of Rfactor in 2005, Nascar Thunder 2004 remains an esteemed gem. Its immersive gameplay, advanced AI, and compatibility with modern systems ensure its enduring legacy as the greatest Nascar racing game ever created. With its captivating features and ability to provide an unparalleled racing experience, Nascar Thunder 2004 holds a special place in the annals of gaming history.

I don't know whether it's the best, necessarily, but after playing it again recently I feel like it's due for a rediscovery. The vanilla game is definitely simcade (that's not a bad thing, btw), but since its underpinnings are ISIMotor like Rfactor the ability to tinker with physics is endless. With the right knowledge and tweaks you could get stock cars with modern physics instead of modern-looking cars that drive like Gen-4 NASCAR like in NR2003 (which i also love). Unlike Rf and GTR2, the racing lines and AI are tailored at least somewhat for oval racing, too. I hear the Rf2 oval physics and AI have come a long way, but I haven't tried them yet; in the meantime, this game feels like a fun, easy-to-get-into title whose potential is sort of lost to time. It's almost impossible to find past mods for it, even. It deserves more love than it gets, IMO, and with the right modding attention could even be great among simheads.

I don't know if Kaemmer relaxed the ban on editing the NR2003 exe or if it's just no longer being enforced; but there is a physics editor for it now, and numerous new mods coming out. The old GTP mod shows how far you could go with N2k3 physics.

FWIW, there would have been a successor to N2k3 but Vivendi, who had purchased Sierra, demanded it be dumbed down to attract a wider market; Kaemmer, working hard for more realism, refused.

Arcade racers can be fun (remembering the old Need For Speed series), there's room for everyone, sim, arcade, or something in between.

NR 2003 is definitely better when modded, but this old game plays great in stock form. Yes, its physics are dated, but the gameplay is fun, something I think we are losing with modern titles.

Some days I just want to play Gran Turismo 1.

Well, the cup physics were definitely .... weird. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was a fan of the sim and stated the cup physics were not realistic, grip too low, brakes weak, weight shift was off, etc.; but he said the BGN physics felt much more like cup cars ...so virtually all mods afterwards were made for BGN physics, CTN used for lower powered series. I still enjoy it, and have two installs of the GTP mod, one converted to open wheel cars with '78 F1 and '88 CART carsets.

Funnily enough have been toying with the idea of installing one of these sims - it's which one supports my TS PC and Triples. I'm guessing PC version of Nascar Thunder 2004 using the ISI engine would be my better chance on both of these accounts?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.