TH8A Shifter Availability Question

Hello everyone!

I just started getting more serious into sim racing and I'm very excited about it. I got a new T150 with T3PA pedals to use on my PS4 and in my research for a shifter the one people seem to recommend for my set up is the TH8A.

I've been looking online for one but I cannot find it new at retail price anywhere. Does anyone know if it is discontinued or just out of stock everywhere at the moment?

The prices for an used one are way up there let alone a new one.

I also looked for an alternative by Thrustmaster but I found nothing.

If you have any info I would appreciate it.

Also, if you can recommend me a different shifter that I could get that is compatible with the T150 and PS4 console it would be awesome.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
SHH shifters may become available again Feb 10.
They plug into USB, not Thrustmaster wheelbase,
and seem well-regarded e.g. here and in YouTube reviews.
Thanks for the info! I looked for it and it looks great. I just realized though that I forgot to include perhaps the most important piece of information on my first post and it is that I needed to work on PS4 as I don't currently play on PC (I need to upgrade first).

I don't think the SHH will work for me. Thanks anyways!

Upvote 0
Ah yeah, then it's your only option when you are connecting with any TM gear into a console (iirc).
Quality is good, no issue there and there are plenty of mods out there to stiffen the shifting action if you find it too easy.
(for ex my shifter in my car is very positive, and you have to be firm, same in the GT3 I used for a while which had some cup car stuff in the driveline)

Upvote 0
I also have the TH8RS and used for a while the SHH. I do feel that SHH is a decent , well priced shifter.
TH8RS and TH8A are almost identical (I'll explain why) , very well build , but stock they do not deliver the feel that their price point suggests. There was a ball plunger mod back in the day for TH8RS that I also did , but not with stock plungers. I ordered much stronger ones and also did a short shifter mod and now my th8rs is soooooooo good. It's better than the fanatec shifter that a friend owns.

Having said that , th8a does not have two threads to insert a second plunger. So to do the mod you need to open an M10 thread on the pass through hole. That's not for everyone obviously , that's also obviously voiding the warranty , and I can only suggest it for people that can support it.
So I'd say if you're not into modding go for HSS or straigh to Fanatec.

Upvote 0
Can he go with other companies if he's on the PS4 though ?
Of course he could if what blekenbleu suggested works, although it's really quite a price jump too (ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 €259.95) unless he finds stuff used.

Curious about that mod you said there, is there a post/vid on that ?
:thumbsup:

Ah, think it's like this?

There are a bunch of cheap mods on ebay, I have one in installed (definitely better than stock).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I´m using the TH8a shifter with 3drap "mod cambio v2" and their short shift plate.
The mod cambio works in adding tactile feedback, but it gets weaker quickly. Still much better than stock. Could be it can be adjusted a little stronger, just didn´t feel like taking it apart again.

The short shift plate does it´s job, it needs remapping of the shifter with the TM calibration software so that the shifts are recognised every time, thats not difficult either.

Shame is that the plate cracked two weeks into my usage.
Could be my "strong shift arm" as i´m hammering the gears like in my road car with IRP Quickshifter, could be a little too much force on the bolts when mounting which i doubt.
I would choose the aluminium plate next time, this time I went for the ABS plastic one for the black coulor.

On the other hand with these mods the TM shifter gets even more expensive so now that I´m on PC only i´d look for something else/better.

In my PS4 days it worked flawlessly, only drawback is the notion of TM to connect it via USB to the PS for H-shift and via DIN to the wheelbase for sequential.
Both cables are in the box but i never bothered to change to sequential.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Can he go with other companies if he's on the PS4 though ?
Of course he could if what blekenbleu suggested works, although it's really quite a price jump too (ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 €259.95) unless he finds stuff used.

Curious about that mod you said there, is there a post/vid on that ?
:thumbsup:

Ah, think it's like this?

There are a bunch of cheap mods on ebay, I have one in installed (definitely better than stock).
Yes , that's the idea. Where you see the extra thread to add the second plunger , it only exists at the TH8RS. The TH8A has a 9mm hole waiting to be threaded.
Also the stock ball plungers are not enough to enjoy , even at 2x. If I recall corectly , stock is 1-3Newtons , while the ones I installed are 6-10N. So 20N at max setting that I have it dialed in. You can see imagine the difference. I cannot recommend it enough.

I´m using the TH8a shifter with 3drap "mod cambio v2" and their short shift plate.

I have also tried mods of these types , both the 3drap.it and the clickbeetle something. They just don't deliver. I was trying to see if there is an alternative to mine so that I can suggest to friends or people that buy from me ( I do buy from abroad and resell in Greece sim racing stuff that I like as a hobby).
And if you count the cost of buying the shifter and the mods , then the Fanatec isn't that more expensive.
Yet , if one is willing to go the plunger mod, then out of all mainstream options , thrustmaster is the way to go. No doubt.

Upvote 0
Ok so this is the manufacturer's page. I had to order through a local dealer a box of those !
I was wrong about the numbers above. I used the APS/19AR ones.
Since you are dissasembing the shifter you might as well take the drill and just countersunk the three holes on the metal plate , because on the new plunger side they will be flush. Sinking them just a bit will give a greater tactile feel when locking gear. It's where it will start pulling you towards the gear at the end of the change.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

At this point it looks like I might just wait before I invest into a shifter, I was hoping I could buy one at entry level price to get me started. Perhaps once I start playing on PC and ready to upgrade my gear I will get one.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea