Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Well like I said, you're not asking how to go about this in possibly a better way both with effects and installation and the hardware your using,.
You are forging ahead, doing it the way you want to and possibly purchased an additional unit you could of not necessarily needed.

What I would say is, that's certainly a big platform for the bass to freely flow over for a pedal region.
Then you might again, wonder why your front BK units are less strong than the seat?

How you mount the pedals and connect the TST could greatly improve the energy without even needing the second unit.

It was pretty clear what to try after testing the stuff that did not work :), so I asked specific question, I had in my mind.

It's like 1 hour to test it, then I will see, if it makes sense or not and decide later whether to go this way or not.

If you are willing to offer your insights, these will be more than welcome.

I'm not sure you noticed, but the top part of the platform is on isolators.

1589492262786.png
This is the top part of the platform.

1589492429311.png

It's definitely much lighter / smaller structure than seat. Before I had pedals inverted with much bigger frame out of steel and tactile feeling was good.

I never said the tactile in pedals is weak compared to the seat, it is actually stronger, as it is not as heavy as the seat. I'm just looking to boost one certain effect frequency, so it is better felt, that's all.

If you have some recommendation how to mount the pedals / tactile, let me know. There are lot of constraints however - it must fit on the rig - with future inside surge platform and future height adjustment for the pedals platform, so there is not / if any other clear options I can do regarding the mounting / positioning of the tactile units.

Pedals are load cell, so brake is very stiff so the isolation must be solid.

This isolation allows for vertical movement, but is very stiff in front to back direction.

1589492875186.png

I have came to this design after long period of testing and it works very well for me.

Smarter Effects?
You also within the effects could easily have the TST use the frequencies you want and the central BK use an octave lower for each unit to work combined. That way you would have the BK adding energy that is in sync but also naturally generating its own harmonics to tie in with the TST.

In that you already would have a secondary unit bringing the additional energy,
While this is not using two units duplicated on a channel, it is still using units (by specific effect settings/layers) that operate to complement each other. I don't know if its the correct term but I call this "Harmonically Matched" effect layers.

Man, you also have 2x L/R BK Concert and as the RPM is a mono effect you could actually if you wanted to focus more energy for RPM using those for key effect layers operation. As a simple example, imagine you have an effect layer at 8K peak RPM become active now over the 3x BK Concerts all harmonically matched to the TST unit for that sensation you want at peak RPM. Would that not be sufficient?

You will get the best detail and energy if you have these units working together but that also has to happen at an effects level as well as how/where they are installed. The concept I am promoting works in this basis and I know for effects creation, it takes things further forward than the typical approach.

I use 1x TST + central BK for engine effect. The BK is using your engine effect, I think it's peak is around 60 Hz (around the same as TST unit - 73 Hz), but the BK is struggling to deliver anything useful at these frequencies - it does help, but not that much compared to TST, also I had to tune the BK at higher frequencies lower, because it was overheating. BKs are clearly not designed for continuous delivery of such high frequency and the effect is not very well felt anyway.

The high RPM effect is constant almost all the time in racing, so if I would use another L / R BKs, I would be bogging them down constantly and they probably wouldn't deliver what I'm seeking anyway. I use L / R for G-Effects so these are continuous effects as well, if I would be using them for engine as well, they wouldn't be able to handle that and it would compromise these effects as well.

Additionally I use L / R units for wheel slip / braking / ABS, so no way to put engine there.

The TST feeling I have now is great, but I just would like to have it stronger, and I think second unit might get me exactly what I seek (how it will be configured / wired and used with effects will be subject to testing). Maybe it won't work, maybe it will, I just need to test it.

I already tried some solutions you are mentioning and there were many compromises I didn't like - but maybe I can't set it up properly, who knows :)

Theory With Motion & Tactile
I would submit that because you have motion now and that trying to get good stereo in tactile to operate well in pedals and seat with issues of crosstalk being a factor for most people. You actually have the ability to improve the stereo greatly with exciters on the paddles of the G seat in direct contact with your body, yet you ignore/brush off this idea as have in fairness most G-Seat owners on these forums. They won't experiment or look past CM/EM effects usage or installations. I see very little attempts at joint efforts for creativity (not in builds adding multi motion, like yours or others) but with tactile and tactile being implemented to work with those.

As I said multiple times, I will try exciters in the future, I'm just not up for 100+ hours project right now - reading through this thread to find what amps / exciters to use, ordering, disassembling g-seat, redesigning the mounts for paddles to accommodate room for exciters etc. It might seem easy for you to do, but it's really not that simple.

I need to finish this project first, then I see, when I will have time / mood to expand tactile, I'm quite fed up with doing everything as DYI lately, I need some break from this and enjoy racing again to build up motivation for next project, so I will be able to enjoy it building.

Combined Senses
Your senses with the motion can be easier tricked with your body feeling the G-Seat and now SFX motion with its tilting to each side. That combined with VR with an enclosed view of only the 3D world. I have to say I would have reconsidered or at least discussed how the tactile onto your new rig could be implemented before moving forward. But as we saw on these forums SFX followers were either not interested in how to combine motion or tactile and the outcast SFX/Tactile thread that was created nobody hardly bothered with or used to discuss share or challenge ideas.

Honestly, part of this is curiosity but based on self-tests as well. I would of focused on your new rig, using primarily a mono configuration concentrating the immersion on increased energy with the impressive collection of tactile you own. Certainly still using the exciters on the G-Seat for stereo detection (if applied) but I would estimate the motion will help disguise mono bumps to feel like stereo bumps. This due to, the reality that your brain is detecting the dip in motion/audio/visual aspects happening in the sim. If this is indeed the case for you, Then could have dual units used for bumps/impacts on seat/pedals but also more dedicated units for speed/rpm and g-loads.

Still need to finish the rig and start testing, so I don't have much to share on this topic, except that bumps / heave from motion feel completely different to tactile road effects.

Maybe some kerb like tactile effects (higher frequency, medium power) might still be worth it to use, but medium / bigger bumps are just better handled by motion.

I have some base for effects I like, so I will see if that changes with motion.

Personal Thoughts
Just an opinion that you should have then looked at this more from an effects perspective and your own preferences in effects or what might work best with the additional hardware you now are using.

I can only base my views on what I know or expect to happen but I think it could of been possible to achieve improvements for the excitement and energy potential in the immersion over what your planned effects usage or installation will offer. Stereo or CM type configuration is not always the best solution and this makes more sense if the stereo is not going to perform that well on the user's rig or installation anyways. This does not mean that "mono effects" based installations can or must only use a single unit in the seat/pedals, no not at all.

What I would say is, I have experimented looking at both potential options, these are not just passing ideas but to me, it appears regards tactile few people will try to think outside the box.

I would recommend you try a few different effects profiles that use stereo compared to combined units working in mono and separate RPM/SPEED to different channels. Having spent months messing around. I would say with confidence the best engine effects are accomplished when we use both but these are quite constant in operation and in different ways. So due to this they vary a lot in the outputs of Hz used and can have some conflicts/drawbacks if both are on the same unit. Again I know this based on months of trials and monitoring the effects, whilst trying to be creative in building more engrossing sensations for effects.

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm doing exactly this - trying to get best effects with the setup I have.

I have came to the list of effects I like, that I use, and now I'm seeking to further improve it.

Still need to finish the rig to start testing full, maybe I'll change it quite a bit. I tried the engine approach you are suggesting (speed on different units), but I didn't like it, because it was continuous effect and it was compromising L / R effects I'm running too much.

Maybe with motion / g-seat, I'll ditch tactile g-forces which might open more space for other effects to use on L / R units.

Effects Progression = Experimenting = Learning
Low-frequency bass is not all about "whack factor" it can be utilized differently depending on the dB that is applied to it and for the role/nature of the effect sensations we may seek. It is crucial to use suitable dB for the Hz to achieve the desired sensation, as otherwise, you may get a big knocking/thumping response from the tactile. Its using layers to combine with each other over more than one transducer.

I have been discovering with effects that low bass, if used appropriately can enable us to use subharmonics with overtones. So on a low bass-centric unit like a BK using it to work with the fundamental frequency for an effect layer that's being used on a secondary unit like a TST or Thruster/Exciter. This is my attempt to think "outside the box" that felt sensations for effects do not necessarily have to be created or directed to operate on individual channels or indeed generated from only individual units and the performance limitations individual units have.

The potential is quite interesting...

I have been using your dual approach for effects for a long time - just engine basically (BK + TST), so I think I understand the concept. However I don't know how to create fundamental frequency / subharmonics etc. I'm using you engine effect and it feels nice in BK on lower / mid, but it struggles to deliver higher frequencies for me, that's why I'm seeking to boost them with additional TST, which is much better suited for the job. I'll try to mount it directly to the stem of the pedals and will see how it works.

Yep, sure. I can do that. Its still in the late prototyping stages. And frankly its little more than a (to be painted) wooden box with trim, and some careful strategic measurements. The real racecar is a little more interesting. :)

Of course, I haven't even finished version 0.5 of the thing, and I'm already plotting v5.0 or v10.0. Ugh...expensive hobbies, I need less of them.
No build is EVER "finished" in the racing or sim racing world. Your unfinished work will likely result in others tinkering with their rigs!

I went down the rabbit hole of tactile on 8020 , BK’s , Dayton’s , Amps , the lot ... spent an inordinate amount of time tuning effects ( separate for each sim as they all differ ) , and even repositioned them once ( bolted my BK advance direct to my seat in the end )

Then I remembered I actually want to race .

I’m happy with what I have , it can probably be miles better , but at the end of the day you really have to strap in , Chuck her in gear and drive .

@michael I'm not getting into all the points with quotes or going to bore to death folk here on differences in views or approaches we may have. I will say that much more creativity is possible both in regards to installation and effects creation. I will cover this a bit below and also things I see with your current platform.

I have helped and spent a lot of time with several members here all with different rigs and its time consuming with all the PM and things I do to get them started. I have more in PM seeking help but I'm needing a break and I get what your saying, you also want to get to enjoy the rig a bit. As for motion I'm getting put off it more than turned towards it as these days it seems one form of motion is not enough and getting one leads to wanting another and in all honesty, I think for every addition we get some loss in the return of each thing applied.

I do believe motion could be well matched with tactile but I can't see anyone that showcased how they went about making that happen with different installation tests or in detail regards a breakdown of what effects could be used or where it was discovered they best complement each offerings own immersion.

I will offer some thoughts on your current build at the bottom but will go over some things if people want to read below:

To Clear Up Confusion:
You mentioned recently in a group PM how your old rig BK felt much weaker upfront than the seat. I was referring to how it's mass and connected materials was allowing the energy to disperse rather than be contained. Regards you mentioning you are using my effects. The engine or other effects shared were to demonstrate the energy potential of the large BK. In that PM, I think I made it clear that they were placeholders or based on older attempts at effects.

BK Overheating:
I do not know what settings you are using with BK CT but I have not had any overheating issues and I can feel the CT doing fine well into high Hz. Okay yeah, it's not as good/defined in detail but it's still usable for decent RPM even if used on its own. Very much depends on the curve you are using to control it via the DSP but several have said to me a curve we use for 60Hz at 10dB and 200Hz at 5dB and 300Hz at 0dB works well. Speed is one of the most constant effects however and I have seen my amps fan come on with it.

Looking at the two newest effects for "Speed" I have a lower heavy feel and higher lighter feel options. One is for more zing and the other is more for engine strain. Those do not go above 63Hz/84Hz and these two different effects use only 3 layers each. Higher harmonics may be generated off these but I am not using center/values for effects that are that high. The exciters are better for that anyways and when used in multiple sets to more than one body/region we can achieve things with them and effect layers we cant with a TST.

My own exploration with effects:
I think only 4 people on these forums have (some) of the most up to date effects I am working on. The people that give more or good feedback on the effects without going in, running off, and changing them, who stick to the plan. With each step, I try to improve these based on the feedback given. How I work it, is simple, If I don't get much feedback or interest in a new or batch of effects to try. Then I don't rush back to offer those people more, as I want to find people that enjoy doing it and reward them for putting more of their own time in. Some I've even had direct 1-1 chats in realtime as we both are testing the same settings being used to then highlight or discuss a specific sensation or issue. Thats how far I want to take the creation of specific effects for this solution/approach I am offering.

Its maybe too late:
For over a year the concept of the exciters has been offered and shared with people. You and other G-Seat owners ignored or showed no interest in it whatsoever. So you had plenty of time to adopt or at least try these very affordable options on a seat you spent thousands on. It's not my fault if you now would have to dismantle or spend a lot of work to now add them. What I will say is, you missed a great opportunity to how your G-Seat could of used tactile direct into specific body regions and then how we combine their sensations (effects layers) with the greater energy and in sync effect layers from additional BK units. You cant get more perfect stereo positioning into the user with various effects, better than this approach using the full torso/spine.

My Own Plan:
The focus has primarily been developing these effects in the seat even though I know people like to feel effects in pedals as well. Some also want to give feedback from other sims but the general idea is to focus feedback on the same usage scenario they are created in and the hardware they are being used with is the correct hardware. We want a good basis of effects to use in a singular sim then move on from that with adapting effects/settings to suit other sims or cars.

Let me point out, the newest effects I have been working on that are not widely shared, are being created with the BK/Exciter combo. So without that, then it's pointless sharing these effects with people that do not have the combo. My focus is on this approach as I know the potential with it and some forum members are now starting to discover that too.

I'm trying to push the boundaries of going beyond the idea that effects just use single units or we stick to the Simvibe way of doing things but only then using Simhub. As I have said Simhub has opened new doors and possibilities with its channel controls, so my attempts are seeing what we can now do with effects new ideas. That includes thinking differently with installations of the units.

As yet I have not really explored any potential with exciters in pedals but primarily because it is such a small body region/area to focus different effects into. Although we do have people using motors with Simhub and like Fanatec pedals already do, so I dont rule out that exciters can be installed in a manner if desired to work on individual pedals. I'm busy enough working on effects for the seat BK/Exciter combos.

Your New Platform / Front End
I see a full surrounding platform to vibrate. Energy will still go all around this and also through the isolation. You are not ensuring the energy from the BK must and can only go directly into the pedal and footplate region 1st. I refer to this as the "primary energy", like you get when you attach a unit directly to a seat. Its the first contact object right at the bodyzone it is intended for.

Your side BK will transmit the energy into the whole frame. Over it and below it.
Does appear the 2nd TST is going directly to the pedal region but even this then connects with the whole bigger outer frame again, effectively making it like one mass. At least this 2nd TST goes into the pedals as the first point of contact. So it's getting the primary energy.

If we deliver the primary energy into the bodyzone then that's what matters, not having the energy escape dissipate to other regions before it reaches the intended bodyzone. It's your body you want to get the vibrations, not the rig or a platform half its size. Where it goes after you already have felt the primary energy will matter less.

Stereo Tactile/Pedals
For stereo to work in pedals better is more complexed as we want to isolate each pedal stem/footplate area but have each pedal/footplate area also get the primary energy from the L/R units. These then incorporate RPM/SPEED and other mono based effects that can connect into the footplate/pedal base region but do so in a way it still reduces the bridge/crosstalk potential of mixing the L/R effects. Its not an easy thing and having units directly under the heels on the same platform is not the solution neither. I have said this before but I have never seen a build even attempt to do this.

I mentioned you would be better forgetting stereo and the current frame you show makes it abundantly clear that having direct horizontal bridges for L/R BK to be connected to and only about 15" apart is a bit pointless. It's hard enough to try to get nice felt stereo in a seat with a whole torso to work with, never mind pedals and only our feet being how we determine L/R sensations.

Motion Brings New Challenges
Do expect motion will indeed produce very strong bumps but can we add to these for more detail and use effects with impacts to help with chassis rebound heave sensation? It can be very noticeable on the grass as the whole chassis bounces (with the right Hz used). What I would say is that we can adapt and alter to taste the sensations (more) with tactile than you can with motion.

Full Succes Or Partial?
The problem is nobody has gone through individual effects and shared/explored or tried to establish what is successful and what isn't with motion and tactile effects. An SFX thread was created to discuss both, who bothered with it? To add to that, I don't know a single person that has attempted in using a well-implemented stereo-tactile based pedal installation. One that is also paired with the excellent stereo based Exciter/BK combo recommended for the best potential of highlighting stereo effects in both the pedals/seat and doing that with a motion rig.

Balance Of Both?
So to me much is quite unknown and those that comment on how or what the limitations of using tactile are with motion is. Then I say much of their views are based on their own installations/limitations or how/what tactile was used and the quality of the effects used with it. In some ways I feel if I do what I want with my own build I can enjoy fantastic tactile, but do I want to then reduce the quality or sensations of that by also introducing the motion, do I even need it?

Last edited:
@Mr Latte You've given many of us inspiration, and a generous amount of information. You have in no small way set yourself up as both a passionate connoisseur and an expert on this subject.

I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your efforts and relentless pursuit of getting the best tactile response possible.

I'm also not alone in cherry picking from your advice, and I hope that you can get past the frustration of people not always listening.

I know in my case I am trying to balance many things including the flexibility of my rig which requires compromise, for example not splitting my foot plate. I think people tend to have a certain aesthetic they are after as well. Currently I'm considering mounting my rig to an NLR Traction Plus system which has a maximum weight constraint which would forever limit my even considering adding heavier transducers. I've had to put my rig on a weight loss regimen.

Take the time you need to recharge if you are getting worn out. It happens. You can't be the fountain of knowledge without taking time to fill your reservoir :)

Does anyone have any resources on wanting to build your own amp? Or finding a good amp that does 4x100 or 6x100. My goal is to do 4-8 transducers but not sure exactly how I wanna lay them out. I am thinking about getting the Aura AST-2B-4 since they get such an overwhelmingly positive review across the board.

The reason I was thinking of building an amp is that it seems like there is some decent cost savings there.

Well....I've done it.

I bought 4x DAEX32EP-4, and a Dauk Audio SUC-M4. Let the journey begin (well, once the Amp slowly makes its way across the pacific).

Yes, I too have the amp ordered as well and also awaiting stock of the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini
I think this will be a great combination as it then gives someone an affordable compact 4way amplifier with 4way DSP controls at a great price.

Yeah nothing coming up for me on google either. I am copying and pasting, but maybe it was spelled incorrectly? I am stateside btw

Found it! Is it a good amp to power something like AST-2B's? I show it at 50x4.

The AST are to be used with no higher than 50W amps so seems ideal.

You should not need max volume anyways.
If you wanted a slightly more powerful unit then the EPQ 304 is 75W @4ohm and rack mountable.

Last edited:
The AST are to be used with no higher than 50W amps so seems ideal.

You should not need max volume anyways.

So in theory getting a 4x100 would be wasted unless you were running 2 of them in something like series parallel? Sorry for the noob questions, I am new to tactile, but have my mind set on bigger and better things.

I bought is directly from douk audio website with free shipping. Amazon was the same price when you included shipping and USA sales tax.

When I looked on Amazon, deliver said middle of July, did they give you a timeline from them direct? This is pushing me towards wanting to build one now as well for the sake that I could get it all together buy early June.

The PDF for the tactile units you linked clearly states not to use them with higher than 50W

If you are sticking units directly to the seat then my advice would be to get the recommended exciters, save on those and put the money towards a future BK. See recent threads of users who have done this. You can later then get a BK unit that suits your budget to add extra depth with lower bass.

For the amp
MIne says, Arriving 27 Jun - 7 Jul

Yes, I too have the amp ordered as well and also awaiting stock of the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini
I think this will be a great combination as it then gives someone an affordable compact 4way amplifier with 4way DSP controls at a great price.
Seeking for the same Dayton/Douk Audio combination as Tom, with exciters mounted under my seat and pedal plate. Should be enough without a BK? Don't have motion and I don't aspire to big tactile systems. PS: thank you so much for your truly passionate writing while sharing your knowledge.

Seeking for the same Dayton/Douk Audio combination as Tom, with exciters mounted under my seat and pedal plate. Should be enough without a BK? Don't have motion and I don't aspire to big tactile systems. PS: thank you so much for your truly passionate writing while sharing your knowledge.

Thanks, perhaps read the recent installation from @Codeias who went with 8 units.
I am looking forward to another thread possibly coming from @ScreaminBejesus giving his own views/perspectives. I gave him some help, towards ideas/options with a rather nice custom solution he went with for a challenging installation to his rig.

That's the beauty of the concept, you can start with 2 and expand the number of exciters and I don't see anyone getting into tactile using these and being disappointed.

@Brutal Deluxe do you know the 3M VHB product number that would best suit the Thruster exciters?

Last edited:
That's the beauty of the concept, you can start with 2 and expand the number of exciters and I don't see anyone getting into tactile using these and being disappointed.

It may be the beauty... It's also the danger. I woke up this morning intending to buy two and a ns10g. But, somehow I ended up with 4 and the m4. I'm not sure what a happened. :=)

Have you done any testing with mounting these to aluminum substrate? Everything I've seen so far is all fiberglass / composite.

The PDF for the tactile units you linked clearly states not to use them with higher than 50W

If you are sticking units directly to the seat then my advice would be to get the recommended exciters, save on those and put the money towards a future BK. See recent threads of users who have done this. You can later then get a BK unit that suits your budget to add extra depth with lower bass.

For the amp
MIne says, Arriving 27 Jun - 7 Jul

I def feel like a noob, but I am kinda getting the jist of what you are saying. I think I need to dive in more. I will look at @Codeias setup and see what more I can learn. Better to buy once (at least for the sake of the wife finding out....lol)

Thanks Mr. Latte, been reading through all different threads you have helped out on, I feel like I am meeting the tactile legend! Cheers

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.