T500Rs and Assetto Corsa - FFB problems

Hi All!
I have a T500 that works very well in all other Sim titles but AC. Sometimes it works absolutely fantastic with Assetto and sometimes don't which is very, very weird. It makes me wonder that the problem is something related to the game not being able to load my wheel settings correctly, which leads to a very weak and sometimes non existing FFB.

My rig is a 7700k processor, Asus Maximus IX Hero mobo, 32gb ram DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Vengence, Crucial 256gb SSD and a GTX1070, along with a Corsair 850W psu and a liquid cooler for cpu from Corsair too. Running Windows 10 64bit fully updated and Firmware 43 (which is not the latest) and 2017_TTRS_5 driver version for the Thrustmaster T500 wheel. I tried other combinations of firmware and driver versions with no success.

When all is fine I noticed that once Assetto finish loading the car and track I feel a "kick" in the wheel, which basically means FFB loaded fine and the precision and power of the FFB feels great and make me not complaining about the feel at all. However, many, many times, Assetto loads the car and track and there's no "kick" and the ffb feels weaker, much weaker or even sometimes non existing, like the wheel was powered off the wall. I then have to restart game many times in order to make it work again..

I tried deleting AC my docs folder, reconfiguring the wheel using the Wizard, tried different usb ports and even bought a Powered Usb Hub.

One interesting thing is when I bought the hub and plugged the wheel into it for the first time, I had simply a blast of how good my wheel was performing with AC and I thought a not enough power was being drawn to the wheel without the Hub. But, when I had to disassemble the wheel from the comp and re connect it, ffb started to act up again... weird, very WEIRD!
I am seeking for help to try to identify where the problem is before I totally give up on this wheel and AC. As I said, all other games, RaceRoom, Atutomobilista, Rfactor 2 and Pcars 2 runs perfectly fine with this wheel and the FFB feels always the same, strong and precise.

My wheel has brand new main board, paddle shifter buttons, new and tensioned belts and also new fan.

I need some serious help from the Gurus!
Thanks in advance.

From personal experience with FFB in general, I've seen several events that caused the FFB to behave erratically / inconsistently or to be weakened:
  • Insufficient USB data throughput (more common with DD-wheels). Adding a quality dedicated USB-PCIe card can help
  • VR USB-related load demand (weak FFB when using VR)
  • Low FPS (usually resulting in perceived input-lag)
  • Overloaded CPU-core (?); transfer some load to other cores (?)
Obviously, these can be masked by various issues or can be game or hardware-driver related in certain cases but, may be worth considering / ruling out at any rate.

I'm using a 6700k with a 1080ti + TS-Pc Racer so I can keep 90+ FPS quiet easily. It is true that some circuits are bugged, and in multiplayer sessions the CPU T_Main goes sometime to 70-80%, but never had a CPU "Occupancy" Alert.

With a 3500k+970 + T500rs I had similar problems.

Just out of curiosity, do you have
grounding in the house electrical grid?

Yes, I have. I'm from Europe and here is quite common to have grounding eletrical grid.
I will try another electrical socket, just in case the one I use with a multiple-socket outlet is causing this behaviour. However, as I said, offline sessions are perfect almost always.

Thx!

Upvote 0
exact same problem with my t500 on rfactor2. if ac has this problem too, then it is definately the wheel's problem.
I have confirmed it is related to the cpu usage, anyone having this problem please check the cpu usage of each threads in the windows resource manager. see if one of thread is maxed out, be noted that even if the overall cpu usage is only 30%, one of threads could still be 100%. solution: turn the execution file's priority to real time when you play the game.
I can't guarantee this solution will 100%solve the problem, but I can feel that the occurence chance reduced a lot.
my cpu is 4770k@4.2g, I have to say racing game like rfactor or ac is very cpu demanding

Upvote 0
You should never set process priority to realtime, your system might easily become unresponsive if you do. That's not a solution, that's like "solving" a hurt ankle by amputating your leg.

Also, with AC, you're quite likely to see one of the threads maxed out or almost maxed out, especially if you're running with vsync off and uncapped framerate, that's normal.

Upvote 0
You should never set process priority to realtime, your system might easily become unresponsive if you do. That's not a solution, that's like "solving" a hurt ankle by amputating your leg.

Also, with AC, you're quite likely to see one of the threads maxed out or almost maxed out, especially if you're running with vsync off and uncapped framerate, that's normal.

do you get this conclusion with proven experience on the ts500rs?
my experience told me this solution works, only when I set up real time priority I got healthy cpu utilizaion, none of threads is above 70%, if I set the priority to high, one of threads get maxed out. by setting the priority to real time I don't encounter any problem.
however, my t500rs still have some problem today even with latest firmware, that is when every first startup of the game, the ffb get too strong, it seems that the in game gain setting overide the wheel control panel setting, my in game is 1.0 and control panel is 0.6. I have to close the game and change the gain in the control panel by a little bit to re-active the control panel gain setting, when I start the game again, the ffb level feels correct.

Upvote 0
I get this conclusion by actually knowing what the priority setting does and how setting a process to "realtime" affects the system. But by all means, if you think you know better, then be my guest and enjoy your "solution". It just had to be pointed out that your solution is also a terrible idea, in case anybody tried to follow your example.

And BTW, in-game FFB settings cannot override your control panel settings, they're two completely different and, more importantly, separate things.

It honestly sounds like your system is pretty messed up, or at least your wheel drivers installation.

Upvote 0
Hello
Have the solution!
Uninstall the steering wheel
delete the tmpid.dll under C: \ Windows \ System32 and under C: \ Windows \ SysWOW64

delete the Folder C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository \ tmffbwheel.inf_amd64_b7f59435c99a7dae \ x86 here you need a program because you have no rights.
for WIN10 https://www.deskmodder.de/wiki/index.php?title=Alte_Treiber_richtig_löschen_DriverStore_Explorer_Windows_10
and then you install old Driver 2017_TTRS_4
https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=54697
Assetto corsa has a problem with the current tmpid.dll version

Best regards
Nox

Hope you can read this because my english is so bad!

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...oblem-computer-management-event-viewer.49405/

**i found this in the link above , important 4 all thrustmaster users , the 2020 driver has a tmpid issue with windows 10**

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea