Stefano on ACC modability

RMR1

@Simberia
Kunos at last commented on ACC modability, in short terms: No official mod support this time around.

We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa.
It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software.

However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. The most important one is that we have given ourselves an enormous task of rebuilding, once again our software from (almost) scratch. In a world where pretty much every product you see on the market in simracing is an evolution of games that have been on the market 10-15 years ago, our approach is to get a big axe and reset things to (almost) zero before starting with a new project, ACC is no exception.

In this case the task is rendered more complex by the fact that we are using, for the first time a third party engine that we did not design ourselves and the truth is, given the amount of time we have available to deliver ACC to the public, we have more than enough on our hands trying to figure out how to use the engine effectively to also think about how to make the platform moddable.

As you can imagine, this has been source of endless discussions in the last year and half as every decision comes with pros and cons, there is going to be pain no matter what your final call will be. It goes without saying that we believe we made the right call even if that means loosing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

So to recap, there will be no action from our side regarding modding, both in the direction of promoting nor offering any kind of forum support for it as in the opposite direction, we have no intent to stop it from happening if some smart guy figure out how to do it.

Source: here

They never promised mod-able content in AC. They promised modding tools that allows you to make your own content. They left the game mod-able likely because I bet they never once in a million years thought AC would be able to get the licenses it ended up getting. I think they were originally thinking in the terms of rF1 where there would be minimal official content and the community would fill in the rest. In the end they got some amazing licenses and were able to fill the game with a fairly large amount of official content.

As for the next game requiring more machine to run well this is the computer business. The computer world always moves forward. This is why games from 2005 look very different from games today.

And yes they are all GAMES there is no denying that. But it is also a sim that will realistically replicate driving. Mods don't determine if it is a sim or not.
Yes thanks to Marco the license wizard!! :D:D that guy could get a license from Santa Claus!

If you want to be less pessimistic, consider it an engine demo for AC2. I would imagine they sat down & said "what are most people driving in AC?" and got GT3s, and hey, there's a convenient big name brand which only covers GT3s to hang a tight project off. Tight focus & time limitations do not lend themselves to writing robust mod support with all possible cheating vectors plugged - if you want real money involved in racing ( the FIA is doing some simracing thing at the N24, aren't they? ) via the product it needs to be airtight, and that is a giant mass of verification for an open API which is meant to actively encourage changing the game internals.

The UE4 side is extremely well known, anyway. Noone knows how much survived unaltered yet though.

Go ahead and disagree. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

I support modders and modable content ... AND I donate to modders. Always have, always will.

I HATE that the SIM AC is being orphaned ... for a series of VIDEO games.

Go ahead and disagree. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

I support modders and modable content ... AND I donate to modders. Always have, always will.

I HATE that the SIM AC is being orphaned ... for a series of VIDEO games.
It's the easiest way to get into a new engine that supports night and rain. They have to learn a whole new engine so locking it down to a fixed series and not building mod tools is a smart way to get out of their AC engine and not spend 5 years building the next sim. AC had run its course and that is all there is to it. To move forward a new engine was needed. Moving AC as it is to a new engine with all its unknowns would have been financial suicide. This lets them work on a limited car set, figure out everything they need to know about the new engine, then they can maybe look to a proper AC sequel. There is little reason to get upset with the choices they made on this. If after ACC they still do not go for a proper AC2 then I would maybe see a reason to get upset. The team is still small so they have to bite off small chunks to move forward. Bite off too much and you choke and die.

Last edited:
It's the easiest way to get into a new engine that supports night and rain. They have to learn a whole new engine so locking it down to a fixed series and not building mod tools is a smart way to get out of their AC engine and not spend 5 years building the next sim. AC had run its course and that is all there is to it. To move forward a new engine was needed. Moving AC as it is to a new engine with all its unknowns would have been financial suicide. This lets them work on a limited car set, figure out everything they need to know about the new engine, then they can maybe look to a proper AC sequel. There is little reason to get upset with the choices they made on this. If after ACC they still do not go for a proper AC2 then I would maybe see a reason to get upset. The team is still small so they have to bite off small chunks to move forward. Bite off too much and you choke and die.

Ski ... you have given me so much joy with your mods and they were ONLY possible because of the way AC was built to support modding to keep it going and growing. Kunos has moved on and is no longer independent or even in the sim business ... they work for people who make games now. Might as well put them in cartridges.

You will never see Bridgehampton in ACC and I doubt very much it will make AC2, unless they buy it out. After ACC comes AC-F1, or whatever hole 505 Games wants to fill. Just watch.

Ski ... you have given me so much joy with your mods and they were ONLY possible because of the way AC was built to support modding to keep it going and growing. Kunos has moved on and is no longer independent or even in the sim business ... they work for people who make games now. Might as well put them in cartridges.

You will never see Bridgehampton in ACC and I doubt very much it will make AC2, unless they buy it out. After ACC comes AC-F1, or whatever hole 505 Games wants to fill. Just watch.
What nonsense that is jesus! Kunos own the sim business they are the godfarthers of everything sim......

How would Bridgehampton fit into ACC? You still don't understand that they won't forbid modding, but there will not be any mod tools. It's a huge step for them to move into Unreal Engine 4. Modding is not the first priority and creating modding tools requires huge resources that can go into making ACC better as a sim.

ACC will be a complete package of a racing series of two seasons so far with all the cars and tracks. The way I see modding is that it's good for filling up missing content. ACC will not have missing content. ACC will not be a large scale unfocused sim like AC, rF2, PC2 are where any piece of content finds its place. And it's very welcome from my end.

Modding does not make sims...

What nonsense that is jesus! Kunos own the sim business they are the godfarthers of everything sim......

But they are OWNED by 505 Games.

ACC will be a complete package ...

That's exactly what I've been saying, you make my point for me.

ACC is only ONE series ... one type of cars, of COURSE there is no place in it for Bridgehampton, or
Watkins Glen or Riverside. AC is and could be all sports car racing ... ALL tracks ... ALL cars.

You guys want arcade games ... fine with me. I'm not going to buy them.

ACC is only ONE series ... one type of cars, of COURSE there is no place in it for Bridgehampton, or
Watkins Glen or Riverside. AC is and could be all sports car racing ... ALL tracks ... ALL cars.

As far as I was aware 505 games own the rights to the consoles and sales, I still have the original agreement on my PC search its not hard to find.
reads pretty clear to me Ted.
http://www.digitalbros.com/wp-conte...ulazioni-partners-for-Assetto-Corsa_final.pdf

Your definition of arcade games is quite strange... Many series and modding = sim? Correct rules, weather, no missing content, development and feedback with real racing teams, improved physics of a current sim = arcade?

Correct rules, weather, no missing content, development and feedback with real racing teams, improved physics of a current sim = arcade?

And one series and a limited number of tracks. No F1, No Indy, No Can-Am, No Trans Am ... ONE series. THIS equals Arcade.

And then ... pony up more money for another series ... and more money for computer gear. This is EXACTLY Arcade.

AC did the whole thing, EXCEPT night and rain.

No thank you, I'm not buying into it. You can have my share.

Last edited:
And one series and a limited number of tracks. No F1, No Indy, No Can-Am, No Trans Am ... ONE series. THIS equals Arcade.

And then ... pony up more money for another series ... and more money for computer gear. This is EXACTLY Arcade.

AC did the whole thing, EXCEPT night and rain.

No thank you, I'm not buying into it. You can have my share.
Mario Kart is arcade. Need for Speed is arcade. It's based on how true to life the experience is. Based on physics. Say that you don't like GT3s and therefore have no interest in ACC, I will understand. Say that you don't like the business model ACC implies and you don't want to support them. But what you are saying is pure nonsense. How can one become a member of the staff on RD with these opinions? I thought this was a serious website...

But... This was my last post to you. There is no point in this conversation. Have a nice day and enjoy simracing the way you see it.

Mario Kart is arcade. Need for Speed is arcade. It's based on how true to life the experience is. Based on physics. Say that you don't like GT3s and therefore have no interest in ACC, I will understand. Say that you don't like the business model ACC implies and you don't want to support them. But what you are saying is pure nonsense. How can one become a member of the staff on RD with these opinions? I thought this was a serious website...

But... This was my last post to you. There is no point in this conversation. Have a nice day and enjoy simracing the way you see it.
We have discussed this before many many times,
Mario Kart is a sim, just bring on ACC ###

In Ted’s view GTR series was pure arcade.
And GPL
And Geoff Crammond’s GP series

I know they all had mods down the line, but they weren’t designed for it nor was there any official support.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Saturday

Votes: 37 50.0%