SSW Custom WAV files.

Hi guys, just purchased SSW for use on my 3DOF motion sim.

Been doing some reading and learned that some people have been getting good results with customised WAV files.

I do not have the knowledge to enable me to make my own, so I was hoping that somebody would be kind enough to share some of their custom files with me?

Thank you.

Hi Dozza,
I am in the same boat and am using the stock files that come with SSW. All though, I will have to say, I am pleased with feedback I am getting with my equipment. It would be interesting to try some custom files just to see.
I believe you would need to list your equipment so that people would be able to link you up with files that match the type of transducers that you have on your rig.

Upvote 0
Edited / Updated!!!

Hi, I have not spoke about this for a while...
Here is some rambling on the current perspective of things regards my own effects creation and a few other things.

I have pretty good effects (being modest they are really good), I know the progress I have made and felt effects made for my own hardware and preference that are far beyond what default files offer. No question about how lacking Andres own effects are (moreso when using better tactile hardware). Part of the problem is people do not help a lot with engaging in testing. I do not seek someone to help me build effects for them to then modify and claim as their own what I sought after was useful feedback on the operation of effects I was creating.

Patience
Most that attempt to offer some help get bored of it as testing isnt always fun and my assumption is, most just want good working effects or settings and go and race with them. They are not prepared to do a great deal of testing with different effect trials or maybe stick to the guidelines I want people to try and report back on. This to gather what works well and not so well with specific settings.

I got different feedback from people with similar files, so it was hard to verify what approach to use in altering the file based on different opinions with users also sometimes with the same or different hardware.

Tactile Comparisons
So the only way from a creation point I can better understand how the effects are working on different models is to actually do these tests and comparisons myself. To feel and understand the differences. I have went out and bought several popular tactile units for this purpose. Still some more I want to buy but in having these this will help determine what direction to go with the file creation.

Quality Effects & Settings
My position is if I release what I have been working on I want it to be good, this is why older files were removed at my own request. Also, more has been understood in the way SSW effects are operating with the controls it has. Andre has not made it fully clear how some of the controls alter the output or operation for some of the effects. I found several people are using some controls that while they produce more operation of an effect they are using them too excessively.

The perspective I gathered from some seems to be, more consistency in operation, or stronger is always better rather than having perhaps less activity and more accuracy or balanced operation.

Wheelslip is an example as this is not necessarily meant to be felt on every corner, yet people run this effect that it is, by giving it very low threshold settings. I found this not to be accurate when comparing this with specific cars were we can verify when the wheel slippage should be felt rather than it almost always active during cornering.

Solution For Several Tactile Is Not Simple
The key goal for me in this is providing a solution that gives people the chance to use variations of created effects to then select for themselves which work better on their hardware or to their preference. This is a long process as I covered what was needed to be done for such options and variations.

The idea in principle I shared for these varations in frequency and amplitude does indeed work based on the testing I have done but some effects need more variation in the Hz used so they can be better felt on the more common tactile than the bigger much more powerful units. For example a 10hz signal within an effect (lateral G) may feel great on a big LFE but not felt at all hardly on some other tactile. So certain files need additional variations to then have them use frequencies that work better or best with them for that make/model of unit yet still produce a quality and enjoyable effect sensation.

SSW Cold Shoulder
Simple things Andre should of fixed long ago were reported but ignored (2 channel mono setup not supported / 6 channel operation with only 4 channels being utilised by his own effects). I have helped quite a lot of people regards SSW configurations and setup in my own time over PMs or in threads. I have promoted it and certainly been responsible for helping people consider buying it. I am glad to see people get into tactile and enjoy it.

The situation has just become awkward and Andre doesn't seem to want to take advantage of having myself or others willing to put hundreds of hours into beta testing of effects creation, have these tested on multiple tactile units and all of which benefits the community but also him or sales of his software. I have to respect it is his software and its upto to him what he does with it or if/how/when he wants to improve it.

Andre did make improvements, some on things I suggested, they worked. So was my or other peoples input not a benefit? As yet more needs done to improve the engine sensations. I suggested a "speed based sensation" was needed and not just rpm. So currently the basic engine output SSW has is a drawback for many as it is clear from discussions, lots of people hold it as an important effect sensation but also they enjoy good engine effects. To me this is one reason many are still sticking with Simvibe but its only my own assumption.

Updates To Rig
I have halted work recently on testing as have been concentrating on my own build.
For me to move forward I need to build a new seat section for improved testing. This includes also looking into other alternatives.

For me, I seek the best immersion I can get but do not want the hassle of Simvibe and its piles and piles of layers, dated UI or its CM/EM shenanigans. No single software appears to bring everything, each seem to have their own pros/cons in what they offer or how they are.

Other Software Options
As an alternative, that I have been looking at recently I can recommend you give SIMHUB a go and use its SHAKEIT included software. It uses tone generation too (like Simvibe) but is also very interesting, much better looking and with lots of control. The software has multiple purposes and functions, the tactile operation is only part of it.

It does allow a user to play around and get good effect/sensation rather easily or quickly. I am currently looking at it as an alternative to Simvibe but evaluate what I can get out of it (with the effects it has and settings it uses) compared to what I am achieving with SSW and specific effects creation via. wav

It is available at RaceDepartment forums although seems to of been more overlooked as originally it was more for pedal vibrations but now also supports tactile. Maybe the developer of it is more open to improvements or ideas, or at least less sensitive to try and work with than what Andre for SSW seems to of been lately, well with me anyways.

I see this as a good alternative to SSW (with better engine sensations) or indeed Simvibe but will continue my own research in file creation to find the best solutions. Everyone's own preferences may vary in what or how they want to use their own tactile. Simvibe has a lot more competition now than it once had and is quite expensive as software compared to a few of the options now available.

None of the Software options, seem to really come with full proof instructions or detailed info on all their settings and what exactly they do. I am sure at some point an overview and closer look into each would be an interesting thing to do, or for others to read up on or learn.

See Here if you want to try Shakeit that is part of the SIMHUB package. It certainly deserves some support and I will be donating towards it soon.

* My own files for SSW should be finalised and released but please understand I am not wanting to release them until I am more certain effects will work well on the vast range of tactile hardware. It has cost me not just a lot of money on hardware but also time invested. It still requires more time but really the community interest, encouragement or support is quite frankly lacking. So my own build is more a priority at this time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just got the new ForceFeel08 (similar to GameTrix JetSeat) tactile pad. It uses Sim Shaker Wheels for the software. I also have a buttkicker and use SimVibe with that. I think the ForceFeel Tactile pad has potential but the SSW software is clearly lacking compared to SimVibe. I really like that SimVibe I can customize the intensity and more importantly the frequency setting of each feedback. Being able to have different frequencies for oversteer vs locking tires vs curbs is very useful. It seems that SSW effects all use the same frequency and you can only adjust the intensity. SSW can only differentiate between effects with differences in intensity, duration, and location. Unfortunately only curbs seems to use location (vibrating one side vs the other), so pretty much all other effects just kinda blend in or you are not able to tell what effect is going on right now. Basically with most of the effects on, it just vibrates all the time and it seems randomly to get more intense briefly, but hard to tell what triggered it. Basically not good for useful feedback unless you just use less than 3 effects. I was hoping to get rid of my Buttkicker and just use the ForceFeel pad, but what I ended doing was just use engine vibration, curbs (does pulse right and left side separately for this so you feel left side vibrate only when you hit a curb on left side), and tire lock with the ForceFeel and am using curbs, oversteer, gear shift with the ButtKicker and SimVibe. Would be great if SimVibe could control the ForceFeel pad and send different effects to the different motors of the pad.
Gmx_002_herni_podlozka_1_bocni_pohled_flatten_600x.png

Upvote 0
Thanks for comments on this product Scott, it looks much better than the Jet Seat orange/black.

I don't think this hardware is a replacement for additional tactile but should be looked at as an addition that can be used or be a good solution for people to enter into what tactile immersion can bring.

It amazes me that Andre did not do something very simple a LONG time ago with SSW. You are right about the "BASE" files he offers for effects being so restrictive or limited in feeling the same.

I have a suggestion that is similar to the approach I tested with my own custom .WAV effects.

All he or someone needs to do is create .WAV individual files from say 10Hz - 100Hz with 5Hz variations in between. Then with these, we also create 3 different amplitudes for each to have a low/med/strong alternatives of them. It may take some testing to determine what dB to use for the low-high but offering 3 levels is a good option as with SSW in some cases we may want high slider values but with "low amplitude" tones/effects based on what tones are being used.

• Low = 10/15/20/25/30/35/40/45/50/55/60/65/70/75/80/85/90/95/100
  • Med = 10/15/20/25/30/35/40/45/50/55/60/65/70/75/80/85/90/95/100
  • High = 10/15/20/25/30/35/40/45/50/55/60/65/70/75/80/85/90/95/100

It would be even better if he incorporated these into the software UI to select rather than a user have to select folders but I gave up making recommendations to his Software a long time ago based on his own responses attitude. :giggle:

If SSW had this or anyone wanted to do such with "simple pure tones" it is possible.
The only other issue is that such needs done to suit the different Channel Configurations for say 1 unit, 2 units, or 6 units. So while it is not hard to do, it is just time-consuming.

For the seat pads I have no usage with them or how the effects of them are created/personalised but I am sure this approach/solution would be possible if the files were created to suit the motors operation. The motors will likely have a limited operating frequency range much below the 10-100Hz example given for tactile.

With this, then a user could "CHOOSE" what "Hz" and what "AMPLITUDE" to use for each effect and it would indeed bring much better variation and user preferences in the felt effects.

As for Simvibe, its time you compared it with what Simhub offers with Shakeit.
I think its good to compare and discover what each software option brings but for tactile it is now a bit crazy to spend $89 on Simvibe when all Simhub requires is a user sent donation and it already is better with more improvements coming.

In the coming weeks/months I want to look closely more into the software options in what each brings and maybe try to get interaction with others for a good discussion on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes