SSD turns up on DDR3 module, oh wow!

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/8/27/ssd-turns-ddr3-module/

Solid state drives have already been squeezed into 2.5-inch boxes and spread out over PCI-E circuit boards, but Viking Modular Solutions has just surprised us by sticking one on a standard 240-pin DDR3 module.
The memory maker's new SATADIMM takes its juice from the DIMM socket's 1.5V power supply, and then hooks up to the SATA bus via a standard SATA cable. The idea is that the SSD can be wedged into slim servers where space is at a premium.
The basic principle is that every server motherboard has memory sockets, but it may not have enough spare drive bays and SATA power cables for extra solid state storage space. Viking also points out that it will make the physical design of servers more flexible in the future, as server makers won't necessarily need to factor in the space needed for drive bays.
The only downer at the moment, of course, is you still need to trail a SATA cable from the memory module, but Viking reckons it's found a workaround for this in the future.

Read more: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/8/27/ssd-turns-ddr3-module/#ixzz1RKyC1vv5

I guess this is why the new AMD Socket FM1 A- Series/E2- Series Accelerated Processors boards specification reports...

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
* The Max. 64GB memory capacity can be supported with DIMMs of 16GB (or above). ASUS will update QVL once the DIMMs are available on the market.

I wonder how long it will be before we can do the same with graphics cards, that would be cool adding a SSD to upgrade the memory on a GPU.

SSD's by the nature of their design won't be as fast as the RAM that it would replace. I would prefer dedicated devices rather than taking up a slot that can be used for something else. Their idea is that servers which don't need a lot of other fancy hardware can utilize the extra ram slots for SSD's rather than drive slots which servers tend to chew up like candy.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I agree with you totaly, but something is up (or in the pipe line, on the quiet) regarding DDR3 slots and SSD drives.
I have been reading up on the new HSDL (High Speed Data Link) connection via a HSDL adaptor card (uses PCI-E).
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/hard-drives-ssd/ssd-35-525-hsdl-(64gb-1tb)

Solid State Drives (SSD's) with the new HSDL (High Speed Data Link) connection via a HSDL adaptor card (uses PCI-E). Rapid access both for seeking and data transfer is a key feature of this setup, ensuring fast system start up, along with quick access to programs and files. With each drive, a HSDL cable and a single port HSDL adapter card (uses a PCI-E slot on your motherboard) is included. Adaptor cards with quad ports to connect up to four HSDL drives are available seperately.

What is HSDL?
Unsatisfied with current interface options, OCZ developed High Speed Data Link or HSDL, to eliminate the existing I/O bottlenecks and take SSD technology to new heights. HSDL is capable of running up to 20Gbps of data bandwidth per channel, far surpassing the speed of existing storage interfaces. OCZ’s Cutting Edge HSDL interface is the answer to the SATA bottleneck and the driving force behind the IBIS SSD.

Storage Redefined.
The OCZ IBIS Series redefines desktop storage and surpasses at the limitations currently placed on not only hard drives, but other SSDs. As the first SSD to make use of the trailblazing HSDL interface, the IBIS delivers dominating performance for a faster, more responsive PC experience that is bootable to run the latest OS. Developed for blazing speeds to increase productivity for an enhanced computing experience, the IBIS is capable of delivering 750MB/s read/write speeds and up to 125,000 random write IOPS. Each IBIS features a robust 3.5” aluminum housing and is bundled with a single port HSDL adapter card.

Man! I am looking at buying a whole new rig in september, an my head is spinning with all the different specs I can go for at the moment.
(An I am an IT engineer)
The market is moving soo fast nowadays, its that saturated with new technology and new specs, the software market is having a hard time keeping up.
I mean you buy something (hardware) and a month later the companies are announcing they are stopping making drivers, supporting or even making upgrades for it.

Its not going to be long before we have three seperate cases and power supplies for one pc, CPU case, Graphics case and Memory case, all linked together via some hybrid living cable. :eek:

Kevin, that is my point, it won't be replacing the RAM, but it will prevent the use of the slot for RAM as the SSD will be using it. Even with this HSDL I am sure it will still be a lot slower than RAM. For me the only acceptable reason to put a drive in the RAM slot would be if it used the swap file and was as fast as the RAM that is prevents from being installed.

Another thing that might be an issue here as well with the SSD in the RAM slot is the potential to overclock would be seriously cut due to this. I am not even sure how it would handle the slot's RAM timing if the voltages and timing were changed from what the SSD wants to see.

Yeah I agree and understand now what your both saying.
I read somewhere last night that they are releasing a 16Gb DDR3 stick.

So that explains the motherboard supporting 64gb memory.

"So I am off to hide my head in embarrassment" ha ha
Thanks for clearing it up though guys.

My understanding is that the SSD is mounted on the ram as a space savings measure and that it still requires an SATA cable to the SATA port. Keep in mind that I am referring to the device in the link provided. I have yet to see any mention of SSD replacing RAM. SSD memory cells have a maximum number of writes before the cell fails and it would seem that using it for RAM would be foolish.
I don't know much about HSDL but I thought it was supposed to be an alternative to the current IDE/SATA port for storage devices. It would use the PCI-E slot rather than the memory slots. Maybe I am missing a key piece of info?

Yeah I knew the HSDL were a look at replacing the onboard sata connector or an improve on it regarding read and write speed.

I was just thinking that they where trying to add SSD's to ram because of the high supported size (64Gb) on the new socket FM1 AMD motherboards.
I didnt realise they were intending on releasing a 16Gb stick of ram!!!
Man! My new rig I am buying is gunna have 16Gb but spread over four sticks not one, ha ha ha

But I think I am just looking at too many things and wanting too much.
As long as I can run bryce, daz, auto cad and photoshop ok I will be happy with something modest. (an not the newest and latest)

I mean I know, what I am gunna get will run rFactor and rFactor 2 (when it comes out)
I just hope someone converts the Isle of man TT track for rFactor 2 from rFactor. (thats one awesome track)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.0%