Tracks Sportsland_SUGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright i'm back. Now first off, thank you for putting in the hardwork and creating this track from scratch. We need more people like you, willing to create honest work without stealing. If you don't mind, i made some notes mostly about the shader work for the track. What i'm about to say is only about shaders except a couple of things.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT A MODDER, SO I COULD BE WRONG WHEN CLASSIFYING THESE ISSUES AS SHADER ISSUES.

First off, the dunlop bridge texture has a seam split: This can be classified as texture/mapping issue.

oYQy11C.png

The lighting difference between the two sides of this bridge is immense. Yes, surely there will be very noticeable difference when sunlight falls on one side, especially with a high contrast texture like this. But the difference on your mod is huge. This can be classified as shader issue.

JOcMH59.png

zaL8zjD.png

Another issue is how the grass and gravel textures meet. This can be a pain in the ass i know. But this issue looks very off in an otherwise good mod like yours. This sample can be applied to all over the track.

kTt7S0z.png

This is the only 3d modeling issue i could find: sausage kerbs:

There are only two of them anyway, so i think this can be a relatively quick fix:

GGQFrt7.png

Now let's get into what the rest of this post will be about: How textures react to lighting. Shaders.

These seats (and various others) have no big object in front of them that would cause the same part to have such a vastly different coloring. As you can see from the color of the sky, this isn't dusk or dawn, sun is not at a low angle. It's noon/afternoon and some objects like these react wildly different to light.

I9X3GnV.png

Again, this is shader issue because i played with the sun and the grass wildly changed color within a only 6 hours while sun is up.

9bb8NfT.png

tbZkFSW.jpg

Now, see the areas in red lines? Again, there's no object around them that would justify them being so different from their surroundings.

The kerb in yellow lines should not be so vastly differently toned when sun hits them differently

Also the whole patch in blue lines needs to be re-done. Looks very out of place.

t37R8IO.jpg

Here's the same image without lines to see better:

RYYp2zP.jpg

From here on, we're switching to video to showcase the "reaction to light" issues better.

Do you see how different some parts of grass reacts to lighting? This is with sun at a high angle. Not low. It shouldn't differ this much:

It also shows some asphalt colorization difference when angle changes. Notice how i circle the tiny safety way? It's almost black with no object creating a shadow while the nearby track surface is gray.

Notice the big difference between the two sides of the kerbs? It should be more subtle. Also, the kerbs should not be as reflective as they are at 9 am. It's not noon yet but even at noon they shouldn't be this reflective.

Again, notice how the kerb and also the white lines trackside change their tone soooo much while the grass that's very next to them, stays the same? The kerbs (and white lines) shouldn't get as dark as they do.

Again the same issue. Notice how the grass next to the kerbs or the marshall box stays very well lit while kerbs get very darkened?

Notice how both the kerbs and the green patch react so wrong to the light? This discolorization should not happen. Sure green would get very dark under shadow but not pitch black like this. Also, shouldn't both kerbs and green patch go dark at the same time? notice how the green patch gets darker while the kerb goes nuclear at 0:29? Also the beginning of the kerb, the red part, reacts to light very differently than its siblings on the very same kerb texture. It happens throughout the video but i point to it at 0:49

This issue is also about shaders. At first i thought you tried to re-create a real life asphalt patch but turns out it's another shader issue which happens in another video

Another weird light reaction:

Another "the difference should be more subtle" case:

This is another example that shows green kerbs and gravel patches changing their tone wildly. You can also see the stands i mentioned earlier in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9y0JfMd6Uo

Soooo, this is it. 3D work wise, poly work wise, very good work but my advice would be to take your time and re-think your approach to all of the shaders. The issues i'm individually pointing here, happen aaaaallll over the track. I just didn't want to bore you with more details.

But i think this track has potential if you re-do the shaders from scratch.

Keep up the work. We need honest people like you.

Last edited:
This may seem like a silly question but is this track scratch made? or if it's a conversion, is it converted via the official permission of the OG modder?

Edit:

Yup went real deep into the twitter verse. Looks well researched into. Kudos for being a fresh breath into the ac track modding scene.
This is a full scratch. If it looks like an official data transformation, it's the biggest compliment;)

yes shaders... a lot of those blocky kerbs can be fixed through the csp extension adding something like

[SMOOTH_NORMALS_...]
MATERIALS = -yourkerbmaterialname
PRECISION = 0.0001
NORMAL_CONTRIBUTION = 0

in case you don´t want to re-export it yet

Alright i'm back. Now first off, thank you for putting in the hardwork and creating this track from scratch. We need more people like you, willing to create honest work without stealing. If you don't mind, i made some notes mostly about the shader work for the track. What i'm about to say is only about shaders except a couple of things.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT A MODDER, SO I COULD BE WRONG WHEN CLASSIFYING THESE ISSUES AS SHADER ISSUES.

First off, the dunlop bridge texture has a seam split: This can be classified as texture/mapping issue.

oYQy11C.png

The lighting difference between the two sides of this bridge is immense. Yes, surely there will be very noticeable difference when sunlight falls on one side, especially with a high contrast texture like this. But the difference on your mod is huge. This can be classified as shader issue.

JOcMH59.png

zaL8zjD.png

Another issue is how the grass and gravel textures meet. This can be a pain in the ass i know. But this issue looks very off in an otherwise good mod like yours. This sample can be applied to all over the track.

kTt7S0z.png

This is the only 3d modeling issue i could find: sausage kerbs:

There are only two of them anyway, so i think this can be a relatively quick fix:

GGQFrt7.png

Now let's get into what the rest of this post will be about: How textures react to lighting. Shaders.

These seats (and various others) have no big object in front of them that would cause the same part to have such a vastly different coloring. As you can see from the color of the sky, this isn't dusk or dawn, sun is not at a low angle. It's noon/afternoon and some objects like these react wildly different to light.

I9X3GnV.png

Again, this is shader issue because i played with the sun and the grass wildly changed color within a only 6 hours while sun is up.

9bb8NfT.png

tbZkFSW.jpg

Now, see the areas in red lines? Again, there's no object around them that would justify them being so different from their surroundings.

The kerb in yellow lines should not be so vastly differently toned when sun hits them differently

Also the whole patch in blue lines needs to be re-done. Looks very out of place.

t37R8IO.jpg

Here's the same image without lines to see better:

RYYp2zP.jpg

From here on, we're switching to video to showcase the "reaction to light" issues better.

Do you see how different some parts of grass reacts to lighting? This is with sun at a high angle. Not low. It shouldn't differ this much:

It also shows some asphalt colorization difference when angle changes. Notice how i circle the tiny safety way? It's almost black with no object creating a shadow while the nearby track surface is gray.

Notice the big difference between the two sides of the kerbs? It should be more subtle. Also, the kerbs should not be as reflective as they are at 9 am. It's not noon yet but even at noon they shouldn't be this reflective.

Again, notice how the kerb and also the white lines trackside change their tone soooo much while the grass that's very next to them, stays the same? The kerbs (and white lines) shouldn't get as dark as they do.

Again the same issue. Notice how the grass next to the kerbs or the marshall box stays very well lit while kerbs get very darkened?

Notice how both the kerbs and the green patch react so wrong to the light? This discolorization should not happen. Sure green would get very dark under shadow but not pitch black like this. Also, shouldn't both kerbs and green patch go dark at the same time? notice how the green patch gets darker while the kerb goes nuclear at 0:29? Also the beginning of the kerb, the red part, reacts to light very differently than its siblings on the very same kerb texture. It happens throughout the video but i point to it at 0:49

This issue is also about shaders. At first i thought you tried to re-create a real life asphalt patch but turns out it's another shader issue which happens in another video

Another weird light reaction:

Another "the difference should be more subtle" case:

This is another example that shows green kerbs and gravel patches changing their tone wildly. You can also see the stands i mentioned earlier in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9y0JfMd6Uo

Soooo, this is it. 3D work wise, poly work wise, very good work but my advice would be to take your time and re-think your approach to all of the shaders. The issues i'm individually pointing here, happen aaaaallll over the track. I just didn't want to bore you with more details.

But i think this track has potential if you re-do the shaders from scratch.

Keep up the work. We need honest people like you.
thank you for the advice
I think shedder is a part that I don't fully understand. It will take some time, but I will definitely fix it and update it.

yes shaders... a lot of those blocky kerbs can be fixed through the csp extension adding something like

[SMOOTH_NORMALS_...]
MATERIALS = -yourkerbmaterialname
PRECISION = 0.0001
NORMAL_CONTRIBUTION = 0

in case you don´t want to re-export it yet
Thank you for information.
I actually tried it, but it didn't work very well. There may be other causes.

Hello, huge support for the track and your work! This track is such a gem with Tsukuba and Suzuka. However, may I ask if there is any fix on that big bump by the middle of that last long right hander? and Ai seems to be around that area for quite a margin

Hello, huge support for the track and your work! This track is such a gem with Tsukuba and Suzuka. However, may I ask if there is any fix on that big bump by the middle of that last long right hander? and Ai seems to be around that area for quite a margin
Bumps in the final corner also exist on the actual course.I'm going to adjust it to the extent that I can run even a hard-footed car such as a formula, so I'm not going to fix it

There seems to be a 34 pit version for an older version, which I tried patch on top of this one. Unfortunately it does not work directly. But it indicates that a working patch should not be too difficult to make. I would do it myself, but I would have to learn to do it once again, unpack the model etc. which is currently not optimal schedule wise unfortunately.

edit: 34 pit mod might work with this version after all

Last edited:
There seems to be a timing issue. We had a race where several, but not all, drivers incorrectly went a lap down after completing a pit stop. Maybe their pit boxes were before or after the start line? I've seen that problem before on other tracks.

I can confirm Wally. We had the same issues some weeks ago and all participants had the same version of the track:

https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=lQPy7fP5aVI

No click bait intended, just for prove.

You can also check the Simresults (Goto Race -> Race Laps): https://simresults.net/220204-sl1

Drivers affected, like myself, had a "pit lap" with over three minutes (Lap 27, around 1:30:31 in the video above), while the non affected drivers (Maxi, Lap 38) only needed around two minutes.

Last edited:
I checked the track, the timing seems to work, so if you had a timing issue, it's most likely different versions of the track used or some people that Teleported to pits so they lost the lap they were on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies