Something's wrong with the NoCD patch

I am running GTR2 on Windows 10. I've installed the NoCD patch and when I run it from Steam I get an error saying "The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way". When I run it from Steam nothing happens. Can anyone help me?

I only had this Steam version at the time, just to help friends to have this version working perfectly, and this was with Win7.

Now with Win10 Pro, I didn't reinstall this version, but I remember some problems might be solved by starting GTR2 with a shortcut created on desktop .... with Admin rights.
Same for the GTR2Config.exe .... start it also with admin rights.

Even the Steam GTR2 version .... didn't need to be in Steamapps/Common .... it might work by itself at his usual best place .... at the root of the hard disk.
But it still needs admin rights to work ( and maybe also compatibility mode but not sure with the actual Steam version ).

EDIT: and yes you need NoCD Patch to have Porsche and Ferrari in game.
By caution at the time, I also reinstalled the EU Patch

I only had this Steam version at the time, just to help friends to have this version working perfectly, and this was with Win7.

Now with Win10 Pro, I didn't reinstall this version, but I remember some problems might be solved by starting GTR2 with a shortcut created on desktop .... with Admin rights.
Same for the GTR2Config.exe .... start it also with admin rights.

Even the Steam GTR2 version .... didn't need to be in Steamapps/Common .... it might work by itself at his usual best place .... at the root of the hard disk.
But it still needs admin rights to work ( and maybe also compatibility mode but not sure with the actual Steam version ).

EDIT: and yes you need NoCD Patch to have Porsche and Ferrari in game.
By caution at the time, I also reinstalled the EU Patch

I used Admin rights and it still didn't work. Also, can you say what you're trying to say clearly, I think english might not be your first language.

You're right ... first language is french. ;)
I have to go in a few minutes, I'll see later on if I may explain it a better way.

And before, I'll reinstall the Steam version to have a better idea and better remembrances of how it might work and may correctly work with Win10.

NB: there was a good explanation of what to do at NG, but the site can't be reached for a few days for a unknown reason.

Ok, GTR2 Steam version was already reinstalled for a few month on my PC... but without NOcd patch.
NB: Steam and all sims are installed on D: as my C: is a SSD with Win10 Pro + main softwares except documents, Steam and Simracing games included or not in Steam.

My first attempt ( even though I nearly already remembered this shouldn't work ) was directly unzipping this NOcd Patch in the main Common/GTR2 folder.....
The GTR2config.exe was executed as administrator, but all settings were still correct
Launching the game ..... no result.

Second attempt ( as I was already sure this is how it had to be done ):
First ... unzip the NOcd patch in a temp folder
Move the file manually in its right place: GTR2 root folder and accept to replace the existing file.
Relaunch GTR2config.exe as administrator ... with the needed corrections this time ( as they were reset )
Start GTR2 as administrator .... and it will be perfectly working with Porsche and Ferrari now present.

NB:
- GTR2 was made at the time to work only with 2Gb memory ... If you don't know it yet, there's a 4Gb patch available to extend this memory to 4Gb.
- at the start, it was not intended to work for more than 2 cores CPU ... but there are also available tools to allow it to work on more cores.

Hope it'll work for you.

Ready for more details if you wish when you have done this first step successfully.

Ok, GTR2 Steam version was already reinstalled for a few month on my PC... but without NOcd patch.
NB: Steam and all sims are installed on D: as my C: is a SSD with Win10 Pro + main softwares except documents, Steam and Simracing games included or not in Steam.

My first attempt ( even though I nearly already remembered this shouldn't work ) was directly unzipping this NOcd Patch in the main Common/GTR2 folder.....
The GTR2config.exe was executed as administrator, but all settings were still correct
Launching the game ..... no result.

Second attempt ( as I was already sure this is how it had to be done ):
First ... unzip the NOcd patch in a temp folder
Move the file manually in its right place: GTR2 root folder and accept to replace the existing file.
Relaunch GTR2config.exe as administrator ... with the needed corrections this time ( as they were reset )
Start GTR2 as administrator .... and it will be perfectly working with Porsche and Ferrari now present.

NB:
- GTR2 was made at the time to work only with 2Gb memory ... If you don't know it yet, there's a 4Gb patch available to extend this memory to 4Gb.
- at the start, it was not intended to work for more than 2 cores CPU ... but there are also available tools to allow it to work on more cores.

Hope it'll work for you.

Ready for more details if you wish when you have done this first step successfully.

I tried your second attempt and it didn't run.

Copy GTR2 Steam folder outside Steam and make it a standalone version
You don't need the patch all that is included in Steam already
You just need a 4GB patched NO-CD ( running the 4GB patch can give extra stability )

There is debate which version has more flicker but that may be dependent on hardware, drivers and 3rd party content

Before you add anything to the new standalone test it then back it up as is
Anytime you want a fresh or second GTR2 folder copy it anywhere and make a new shortcut

Set both GTR2 and GTR2config permissions and compatibility for all users
Set Admin, Set Windows 7 compatibility mode
I know everyone says use XP mode but then it will set only 512mb of memory
When GTR2 only sees 512mb or 1GB it will set a lower OBJLEVEL and TEXDETAIL
and you will see warning levels in graphics details sliders ...............just annoying, no biggie

After I run config I set :

CPURATING=5
SYSTEMRAM=4096
VIDEORAM=4096
OBJDETAIL=1
TEXDETAIL=1
VIDEOGUID=D7B71E3E-58C1-11CF-7555-0F131BC2DA35

If you set BOLD you will see no pesky red warning levels on sliders

If you run nvidia use Nvidia Inspector to set AA levels
Here is my profile with that you should see super smooth models in spinner
https://mega.nz/#!Hp5SVaZZ!vbTtpO3Z2Um7prjVUxBX1633c1cB8oVCguJFmYa8m-U

Open screenshot to 100% size ( 4K ) you should not be able to find a single jag and less then any modern sim ! :)
CLiCK on "view image" and set 100% ( you have to lower more then 100% then raise back to 100% )
https://mega.nz/#!ehwg1CxA!DRenFIz7oZxwhm1rft1eiclfNbmEtrd8rIKRzXO5RDA

Change NV settings dependent on your GPU model/power

Last edited:
I would be surprised if that profile worked for most people.
At least with Windows 10 you need to set Antialiasing compatibility to one of those that ends in C1!
I use Diablo III

4 X MS and 4 X SGSS are plenty AA for me. But 4 x DSR might be even better.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%