Smell immersion

I’m running out of options for more immersion, well affordable ones anyway!
I was thinking the other day, I remember reading years ago that Jackie Stewart would react to the smell of cut grass, knowing someone had gone off. Maybe the smell of gravel, rain, hot rubber from lock ups and brakes smell must be a great immersion, as smell is hardwired to our emotional brain. All of this hypothetical I suppose, but I came across a few VR smell articles while searching it up, Feelreal and OVR. Looks really early days, but I guess it is inevitable.
two questions to you all then,..
1) what smell would you add to those I mentioned above?
2) how would a sim game send the right messages to some kind of device do you think?
discuss

That has never worked and it will never work, unless they found a way to directly estimulate the nerves or the parts of the brain responsible for the senses. It has been tried at the movies and it didn't go well. It works at first, but was a mess after a while, because of the persistance of the smell, the impossibility to control it and the mixture of different smells. Not a good idea.

An old tire and a few rags soaked in engine oil in your sim room should do the trick
Haha good one.
you instantly get picture (and odor) on your internal screen.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: On a serious note then Im so old that I can remember the extremely strange odor in the air when you visited MC and car race back in time. It was before the syntetic oils and it was the odor of burned vegetable oil. Hehe at least I was told that. And it was before my hippie time.:roflmao:

Great, if my wife did not already hate my rig. Making my house smell like a race track might just be a bridge too far. Come to think of it, my wife never seems to be a fan of any smells I introduce into the house. Weird.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.