Skins - Why does this happen?

New to modding and I don't quite understand all the parameters so please be patient with me as AI ask this question.

I have created a new skin for the Opala 86 series and have run it in a race. I looks like this in the in-race replay section:
WOR-1.jpg

Then when I run the replay after the race is over it look like this
WOR-2.jpg

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

can you post screen of you DDS file in PS or whatever software are you using ? and what method are using for saves

Using GIMP 2.8.16.
Following this procedure to change the skin:
1. Open the PSD AMS body template, save as XCF in GIMP
2. Make changes to the XCF and use the Make New Layer from Visible to create a layer to move to the DDS import
3. Import the vehicle DDS from AMS to GIMP.
4. Make an Alpha Channel copy in the DDS import of the Alpha channel
5. Move the visible layer from the XCF to the DDS import
6. Remove the DDS layer from the DDS import
7. Right click on the new visible layer in the DDA import and select Add Layer Mask and use the Alpha Channel Copy I made in step 4
8. Using the File Menu, select Overwrite to overwrite the vehicle DDS I imported from AMS

Below is a screen shot of the file before the overwrite process
Opala86-DDS.jpg

So your export settings are the problem. Those stripes are due to the lack of mip map. I'm not sure if it is 100% the same in Gimp (using Photoshop here) but in the settings, select
1. in Mipmap filtering: choose Filter type "Blackman" for best quality.
2. MipMaps: always create 6 mipmaps for all car textures.
Then, when there is an alpha channel in your image, save your dds as DXT5.

So your export settings are the problem. Those stripes are due to the lack of mip map. I'm not sure if it is 100% the same in Gimp (using Photoshop here) but in the settings, select
1. in Mipmap filtering: choose Filter type "Blackman" for best quality.
2. MipMaps: always create 6 mipmaps for all car textures.
Then, when there is an alpha channel in your image, save your dds as DXT5.

Yes, that fixed it. I realized my error as soon as PATR10T said something about mipmaps - I was following the directions to not import the mipmaps but then, as I was overwriting, the mipmaps therefore were not being vent back to AMS. I need to export the DDS and select generate mipmaps and use DTX5 compression option.

Thanks all for the help.:)

BTW, what is a mipmap - what do they do?

they are a kind of lower res textures inside the dds... if you run with lower graphics you can see a much unsharper texture for example compared to the high res you painted, also its used when a car is far away from you ingame...

hope im right ^^

Yep, it is exactly that: you have the same image repeated at smaller and smaller sizes. As a car is going away from you, the game uses a smaller size: you don't need so many details, and it reduces the load on your graphic card! An image being worth a thousand words (and I'm sure you will remember more the example than a car…:whistling:):
nump.jpg

You should not import the mipmaps, that is right: you need to make new ones from your image. Otherwise, from a distance you will start to see the paint you used as a base.
Good luck now! :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea