XB1 Since patch 1.09 on xbox one......

apex11

@Simberia
This game has finally, finally made me see what the fuss was all about form our PC 'friends'...
Simly stunning, what it has now that it was missing? SOFT LOCK!
Game changer with a wheel that one.
But patch 1.09 puts this game to the top of the tree pretty much. See it was rubbish but they fixed it!
First time since it came out i found myself playing it for hours last night.

Well done kunos for fixing your mess. Nailed it.

Not quite. Patch 1.09 also blocked access to the Japanese pack and the Porsche pack by Season Pass owners. I am told by other users that they are aware of the issue, but so far there is no acknowledgement by Kunos themselves.

Edit: Kunos has just acknowledged the issue in their forum. Let's see how this develops.

Last edited:
OK sorry to here that, i didn't get the season pass. But from a driving perspective, pretty much spot on now, i knew there was something not right, you were bashed if you said anything though. But now i can say they have got this game to where I believed it was going to be all those months ago whn the hype machine started.
Just loving this now, SOFT LOCK is sooo important! But the package is coming together nicely now.

Its a remarkable game since patch 1.09, now i can start fawning over this game, finally! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
Lets hope its not too late though for kunos, people need to know how patch 1.09 changed EVERYTHING for the better!!!!!!!!

What is soft lock?
I bought this game when it came out but quickly found myself more engrossed with F1 2016.
I plan on putting it back in my XB1 tonight to DL the patch and see how the game is again. I've only had a couple hours with it and only right after it came out.

What is soft lock?
I bought this game when it came out but quickly found myself more engrossed with F1 2016.
I plan on putting it back in my XB1 tonight to DL the patch and see how the game is again. I've only had a couple hours with it and only right after it came out.

Let's say you are driving an F1 style car. Those cars generally have a steering rotation of 360-450 degrees (180-225 in either direction). Now, most wheels used as controllers have steering rotations of 900 degrees.

Soft lock is a 'lock' or stopping force that prevents your wheel from rotating further. So, once you turn your wheel 180 degrees, the soft lock would stop it from turning further, even though your wheel has a maximum of 900.

"Soft" lock refers to the lock not fully locking the wheel in place. You can still force it to rotate further.

"Hard" lock refers to the absolute maximum you can turn your wheel. Meaning, no matter how hard you try, it will not turn further.

So, without soft lock, say in this F1 style example, once you turn your wheel 180-225 degrees in either direction... there would be nothing stopping your wheel from turning further. It would freely rotate to the maximum that your wheel allows. With soft lock, your wheel would stop turning once you reach the soft lock point.

Let's say you are driving an F1 style car. Those cars generally have a steering rotation of 360-450 degrees (180-225 in either direction). Now, most wheels used as controllers have steering rotations of 900 degrees.

Soft lock is a 'lock' or stopping force that prevents your wheel from rotating further. So, once you turn your wheel 180 degrees, the soft lock would stop it from turning further, even though your wheel has a maximum of 900.

"Soft" lock refers to the lock not fully locking the wheel in place. You can still force it to rotate further.

"Hard" lock refers to the absolute maximum you can turn your wheel. Meaning, no matter how hard you try, it will not turn further.

So, without soft lock, say in this F1 style example, once you turn your wheel 180-225 degrees in either direction... there would be nothing stopping your wheel from turning further. It would freely rotate to the maximum that your wheel allows. With soft lock, your wheel would stop turning once you reach the soft lock point.

I don't think it's ever worked properly on the PC version of AC though, it's kinda useless because the wheel bounces off the soft lock (somewhat violently) instead of just stopping. I've tried it a few times but usually disable it after a couple turns because it's annoying.

Thanx for the explanation.
I did get on AC to do the update and have a quick 10 laps around Barcelona, but didn't do much else. I really need to get into this game ans start figuring out the setup options and circuits, but it's hard to get motivated to do any of that without being in a league. And without xbox lobby options that will suit league play i'm not sure i'll ever get motivated enough. I spend most of my game time preparing for my F1 league races.

I don't think it's ever worked properly on the PC version of AC though, it's kinda useless because the wheel bounces off the soft lock (somewhat violently) instead of just stopping. I've tried it a few times but usually disable it after a couple turns because it's annoying.

Yeah, it was rather broken ever since it was first implemented... 2 yrs ago?

However, just went back and tried this setting again as I was having wheel issues and tried everything i could think of to remedy the problem... and found that it isnt completely broken anymore.

It only bounces off the soft lock when you are stationary. Which doesnt really matter much.

When you are driving though, it just feels like a normal bump that stops your wheel from rotating. So, if you use it when you drive, you should be happy with it now.

I imagine this was updated a bit for the PC version since this was worked on for the console version. :)

I did get on AC to do the update and have a quick 10 laps around Barcelona, but didn't do much else. I really need to get into this game ans start figuring out the setup options and circuits, but it's hard to get motivated to do any of that without being in a league. And without xbox lobby options that will suit league play i'm not sure i'll ever get motivated enough. I spend most of my game time preparing for my F1 league races.

Hotlapping and trying to better yourself is a big draw in sim racing for many people. Learning the track and the car you choose. Understanding braking points, the best line through the corners, along with all the setup options that are specific from track to track. Figuring out how to drive faster, and then putting up your best lap time after an hour of driving.

Some people just need to get into a rhythm to enjoy that sort of thing though. You can start off taking the laps slow, so you dont crash or go off track, and gradually increase your speed as you learn the circuit and soon you may find yourself losing track of time as you put in 20 laps in a row. :)

Yeah, it was rather broken ever since it was first implemented... 2 yrs ago?

However, just went back and tried this setting again as I was having wheel issues and tried everything i could think of to remedy the problem... and found that it isnt completely broken anymore.

It only bounces off the soft lock when you are stationary. Which doesnt really matter much.

When you are driving though, it just feels like a normal bump that stops your wheel from rotating. So, if you use it when you drive, you should be happy with it now.

I imagine this was updated a bit for the PC version since this was worked on for the console version. :)

Interesting. I just tried it for the first time a month or two ago and quickly turned it off due to the violent bouncing when driving. I'll have to give it another go, would be a nice thing to have. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

I was always confused by the need for soft lock. The lowest steer lock can (probably) be found on an open wheeler with a Monaco specific steering rack but even then, aside from the hairpin full lock shouldn't be needed so the need for soft lock always mystified me.

I was always confused by the need for soft lock. The lowest steer lock can (probably) be found on an open wheeler with a Monaco specific steering rack but even then, aside from the hairpin full lock shouldn't be needed so the need for soft lock always mystified me.

It's because without it you don't know where to stop turning. Example, say a formula car with a low DOR stops producing steering input at 90º left or right (not accurate, just using those positions for an easy example). Well, without a soft lock at 90º to stop the wheel you could be turning it 120º but that extra 30º isn't producing any steering input so that is wasted movement on the wheel which could make it more difficult to make corrections. With the soft lock your wheel physically stops at the 90º point ensuring you're not wasting time on non-production wheel movement.

Its a silly example as you say. Generally formula cars are 180 to 240 and even with 180 degrees you do not need all of that lock apart from really tight corners. If people are hitting the steer lock often, they are steering way too much. Thats why I never understood why people are so fussed about it.

I don't know if drifters use full lock regularly but generally they have street car lock so 900 or 1080 degrees anyway so its a null point regarding those cars.

Its a silly example as you say. Generally formula cars are 180 to 240 and even with 180 degrees you do not need all of that lock apart from really tight corners. If people are hitting the steer lock often, they are steering way too much. Thats why I never understood why people are so fussed about it.

I don't know if drifters use full lock regularly but generally they have street car lock so 900 or 1080 degrees anyway so its a null point regarding those cars.

Well, with me I rarely drive open wheel cars (usually drive vintage cars that have huge DOR) so my muscle memory is used to turning the wheel more than you would with an open wheel car and I often find myself turning the wheel a bit more than needed when driving when I do drive an open wheeler. I agree, if you're driving correctly you generally shouldn't need it but it's a nice feature to have for when you're used to driving cars with a higher DOR.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.