Simagic DS-8X H-Pattern / Sequential Shifter

Does anyone have one in hand yet?
Looks reasonable in quality and performance.
What say ye? ...

iu

I want to see inside one... from all the videos I've seen it, mechanically it sounds moves like it's constructed similar under the hood to the Fana shifter with detente ball/springs, but I see people saying it feels better so it makes me curious. Has Barry reviewed one yet? I know he opens things up to see what's inside

Awesome, thanks for that. While it is detente ball, they didn't go the Logi/Fana/TM/etc route making a ball engage into a round hole loaded from the side. Instead they have a beefy sculpted cam profile the ball in plunging into, which means there is potentially really nice feeling transitions that are much more convincing of a rl H pattern. Really want to try one now!

While the seq mode doesn't seem overly impressive, neither are any other dualies so if that's at least as good as Fanatec's it will still scratch my itch plus who knows what kind of mods you can do with it. Definitely like the single lever switching between, for me the only iffy part is the fingerlift lockout. I have a ton of extentions different length and a collection of diy/bought shift knobs to replicate the shifters in all the DR2 cars I drive and it's fun af. The fingerlift thing complicates that but I'm sure I could figure out something.

After holding my breath since its announcement I'm finally excited about it now though.. thanks!

While not as glamorous, the sequential has an excellent feel.
I was a bit anxious about the lift to engage reverse but it's not a flimsy afterthought.
The ring for selecting reverse does not get in the way of normal shiftage and is natural in it's engagement.
As usual, we'll see if the DS-8X stands the test of time ...

Last edited:
I got mine just before the weekend and I am absolutely loving it. It has this great feeling resistance pushing it into gear that goes so nicely with the mechanical feeling of a car like the Porsche 911 RSR 1974 or the BMW Pro M1 or any of the Group C cars in AMS2.

Match this with a historic Nurburgring 1971 (or any other historic track in AMS 2) and you are good for hours of amazing immersive driving.

I come from a TH8A so cant compare to the Fanatec shifter.

What is interesting though is that I did not turn up the resistance too high because the feeling becomes tougher but less realistic to me. I was expecting to run it at max resistance but it turns out differently. It also makes a lot more noise when turned up, a harsh metal on metal sound if that makes sense.

I did not do much sequential shifting so I can not comment on that, also I hardly have any experience with other sequential shifters. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
A search for the DS-8X brings up this solitary thread which is suprising. Im interested in thoughts of owners who have had one for a while. How does it hold up to use?

I'm looking to replace my old g27 shifter for h-pattern but also want a sequential shiter for rallying and certain track cars. Mounting two seperatre shifters and a handbrake would be a nightmare on my gt1 evo rig so the simagic ds-8x looks like a good option.

Last edited:
Hi, I shared my experience earlier in this thread. I have it now for 6 months and am still very happy with it. Also started using the sequential mode, did order the tall gearstick from Simagic as well as the round knob felt a bit weird when in sequential mode but that may just be me. But in seq mode it is also great. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: EIF
Received one today.

This thing is a beast!
Built like a tank and you don't need to baby it. Solid, firm shifting action.
Flick the lever and you go from sequential to H-pattern.
Very impressed.
I had the Fanatec years ago but this one is a vast improvement.
Just curious, given the Fanatec SQ is now almost half price, would you go for that or still get the DS-8X?

Last edited:
Just curious, given the Fanatec SQ is now almost half price, would you go for that or still get the DS-8X?
It's like anything else, if you have the cash available get the Simagic.

I used to have the Fanatec SQ and it was fine but the Simagic is on another level.

I know it's a lot for a shifter but the H-pattern and the seq. is a great all in one and it's nowhere near as bulky as the Fanatec.

I've had mine for nine months now and it's solid as a rock and the immersion when in the shifting process is superb.

All the best with your decision!

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 52 36.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 58.7%