Sim to Real Racing, Finally...

Hey there Mark! Really impressed with your move into cars! How are you doing? You still at it? I am too making a move into car racing this year as I won a scholarship in karts to race in the MINI Challenge! I am super excited now and my race weekend is happening in June! I got my ARDS the other week at Thruxton and scared myself Sh*tless, I loved it! Would love to hear what your next step is and if your still racing!

Hi Luke, good luck with your venture !! You will love it I am certain :)

Yes, still racing, just had our first two races of the season a couple of weekends back, still loving it, and we managed to start the season with 2 class wins, racing at Cadwell Park middle of May, can't wait !!

Couple of onboard vids from the race, sadly the cars ahead are on slicks again, but was still fun to mess around a little in race 1, screwed up a setup change for race 2 and ended up bouncing on the bump stops the whole race....lesson learn't with that one, really just working hard on developing and improving both the car and myself in it at the same time, for more speed.

I hope your experience works out as much fun as mine :)

12998283_1742615592623267_8017461137175640236_o.jpg
ABS.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Mark!! So glad to hear your still doing it and enjoying it! The videos are fantastic so thanks for posting those! I look forward to hearing how you get on at cadwell!! Yeah it is doubly difficult when your learning your way round the car too! I have never driven with heel-toe and my first time in the car will be the Friday before the race! Is it an essential skill or will I be OK not using heel-toe for the weekend? Thanks Mark!

You can get by without using the heel and toe, just make sure you let the engine do the braking and downshift at a lower RPM, it will cost you some time....so you really need to learn how to do it, basically you are matching the engine RPM to the drivetrain RPM, so you are not causing any snatch as you drop into the gear, causing snatch when your on the limit of grip already can be really bad for braking, or the balance of the car if mid corner.

Tips of your toes on the top of the brake pedal twist your foot slightly and use the outside edge middle to lower part of your foot to roll onto the gas pedal as you down shift, practice is all you need mate, and a simulator is a good place to do it :D (this is my technique not saying this is the only way, or the correct way as pedal arrangement plays a part as well, and your feet and boot size!!)

Thanks for all the tips! I have been practising heel-toe on the simulator and also in my daily, and nearly have the hang of it now! Initially I found myself keeping my foot on the go pedal whilst trying to brake with the clutch up lol so had to slow it down to get the motion! Still not 100% there but will give it a go! Looking forward to the learning curve with just one week to go!! :)

Turn that BMW into a Super Tourer, that should give the Sierras and the Falcons a run for their money. :p

As you've said, its so cool to race IRL, especially if you were involved in the making of the car. I had to resort to OffRoad nationals with my friend since the running costs are the lowest of any motorsport here. We only did one event due to logistical reasons but the journey was worth it.

13581910_1057336597694105_3397017886780166342_o.jpg

The car has a few updates over the past year, and has the super touring kit on it now, once I have the rear arches done and front wings replaced with STW versions we will have a full STW replica finally.

FFB:

Its very close already, the biggest problem is some people are relying on different things when it comes to FFB, the arguments I see are more about that than the actual ability of FFB to deliver a good experience.

I feel the wheel load up a little when cornering, but I have power steering, the difference between the car and a Go-Kart for example is considerable, Go-Kart is really hard work, the car I could drive one handed at any speed.

I feel a little kick on kerbs, bump steer, but not so much one hand couldn't hold it, and the wheel goes a little light when the rear or front end breaks grip, just like our FFB wheels....

Well the season is sadly over, and we finished as the Champions for our class.......very happy indeed :)

Looking at rebuilding the car over the winter with an M3 engine, and possibly building a Volvo 850 Estate, dressed in BTCC livery , full on replica.........one of my contacts in racing knows one of the original engineers from TWR who has said they are interested to help if we do it, roll on next year already :D
16-9.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ReyconsBMW/posts/1166359153458515

2017 and looking forwards.

So the BMW is in the workshop having its guts ripped out currently, an M3 engine has been sourced which will replace the SR20DET which served us well this season, by fitting this engine it makes the car compatible with many racing series, including the Classic Touring Car Racing Club Pre93 Class, which is what I intend to run with this car when it is ready.

While the car is in the workshop it will be having all the wiring ripped out, the bodyshell repairing (rot starting to appear in sills and couple of other places), repainting inside and out and a full rewire to go with the shiny new M3 engine.

When the car might be ready I have no idea, this is a major refurbishment we are doing properly.

In the mean time we are also pleased to announce something completely new.....

======

Transforming this Volvo T5 Estate into a full blown BTCC replica to race next year !!! , as far as I am aware it will be the only Estate in the UK racing currently.

Cannot quite contain the excitement, proper bucket list car, and creating a lot of interest already in potential sponsors for next year.

A great chance to mention our sponsors, and thank them for their sponsorship last season, hoping they will join us again next year to campaign the Volvo.....thank you all so much for your support.

Digital Creations (Confirmed for 2017)
Pitstop UK LTD Sleaford
ECG Body Repairs
Rota Wheels Uk (Confirmed for 2017)
CRT Race Engineering
14918864_1166358523458578_8055856650426648791_o.jpg

14918974_1166358636791900_1836793767660272147_o.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling