Sim racing injuries

Hey, I have exactly the same problem! using no h-pattern, but had some longer GT4 stints and afterwards I first observed this issue. Are you still suffering with that or did you find a solution? I'll try to tape my wheel to get more pressure to the joints of the middle and ring finger, because the "triggering" disapears if I give a slight pressure onto those joints from palm side.
For me, avoiding H pattern and same as @Fi22le tried splinting (well, taping pinky to ring finger with some double sided velcro tape) and it cleared up in time. No doubt it'll come back but at least I know it's not permanent damage now!

Excellent topic!

I ruptured a capsule in my middle finger in a certain way (forgot the exact name) where liquid builds up in the joint affected from time to time a couple of years ago when trying to catch a car oversteering. I was and still am using a formula style wheel and my finger got stuck in the wheel while I countersteered quickly. The pain was horrible in that very moment and unfortunately it's still there now as this seems to turn into a chronic thing easily. I also do a lot of rock climbing and it affects me there as well unfortunately, also when playing the guitar.

The only thing that helps during simracing is to tape the finger properly to stabilize it in a slightly angled position.

I mostly do endurance races and besides cramps from hard braking maneuvres after 3h stints I gladly haven't experienced any other injuries.

I always knew I'm a badass for having such a dangerous hobby. :D

Hope you guys will get well soon!

For me, avoiding H pattern and same as @Fi22le tried splinting (well, taping pinky to ring finger with some double sided velcro tape) and it cleared up in time. No doubt it'll come back but at least I know it's not permanent damage now!
good to hear it cleared up for you! did you also use the tapes while racing? I've been to the doctor yesterday and she told me it usually clears up with time but I should have a racing break of 2-3 weeks :(

Excellent topic!

I ruptured a capsule in my middle finger in a certain way (forgot the exact name) where liquid builds up in the joint affected from time to time a couple of years ago when trying to catch a car oversteering. I was and still am using a formula style wheel and my finger got stuck in the wheel while I countersteered quickly. The pain was horrible in that very moment and unfortunately it's still there now as this seems to turn into a chronic thing easily. I also do a lot of rock climbing and it affects me there as well unfortunately, also when playing the guitar.

The only thing that helps during simracing is to tape the finger properly to stabilize it in a slightly angled position.

I mostly do endurance races and besides cramps from hard braking maneuvres after 3h stints I gladly haven't experienced any other injuries.

I always knew I'm a badass for having such a dangerous hobby. :D

Hope you guys will get well soon!
oh ****, capsule rupture sounds not sooo nice. and yeah, its a terrible dangerous hobby :D

good to hear it cleared up for you! did you also use the tapes while racing? I've been to the doctor yesterday and she told me it usually clears up with time but I should have a racing break of 2-3 weeks :(
Hmm, honestly I don't remember but I'd guess yes as I do remember how badly the velcro stank after a while, so it must've got sweaty...

While I do play with a controller, it's not uncommon for my right index to start getting numb after playing for about an hour or so. Granted I've been afflicted with really bad tendonitis and carpal tunnel a few years ago for a different reason, but the sequels still remain. In my case, it has to do with too much of a tension grip on everything. I imagine that's no different for people running wheels, especially when using gloves, as you tend to lose tactility with them.

Hopefully it will get better or at least not worse in the future for you!
I have to say I didn't find any gamepad as of today that was ergonomic.
Xbox one controller isn't bad but far from perfect..

Anyway:
I imagine that's no different for people running wheels, especially when using gloves, as you tend to lose tactility with them.
The fanatec McLaren rim is pretty awesome in that regard. It's real cad data so it better should be ergonomic, lol.
You can really put your thumbs around and wrap your ring- and littlefinger around it too.
If you don't run too strong ffb, you can basically alternate between which fingers take the load and between gripping it or just holding it "vertically" against the side of your fingers.

The best experience for me regarding grip force was with Alcantara rim + Alcantara/suede gloves without rubber on the inside.
Denise has some thin summer motorcycle gloves.

With Alcantara on Alcantara you habe the tiny surface hairs gripping into each other with a very very smooth transition to "sliding" when loosening your grip.
So drifting was superb with that rim!

Once they bite, you barely have to grip the wheel. But it's still super smooth when letting the wheel go slowly!

My only injury from sim racing has been to a relationship .... "When are you coming to bed!"

As you know, this can be a serious injury. (Requires a lot of comp time to cure.)

With Alcantara on Alcantara you habe the tiny surface hairs gripping into each other with a very very smooth transition to "sliding" when loosening your grip.
So drifting was superb with that rim!
I'm fairly confident my very sweaty hands would destroy anything and everything Alcantara in a month or so.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back