Sim racers are an easy target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now bear with me here, this is going to wind a few of you up.

I just added up the RRP of everything for this game on Steam, no offers, and it adds up to £85.

I am guessing most of you think that is good value, but I beg to differ.

It is only good value because a lot of you maybe compare it to other games or Iracing, but in general terms let's compare it to other games.

I am currently playing God of War, that has no DLC, and retail sets you back about 40 quid. Full game, no addons, Some games I imagine cost far more or are similar price wise.

Sim comparison F1 2020 say, all content 64 quid. Automobilista season pass is 80 quid. I cant work out DR 2.0 but I think if you bought everything from release full price it was over 100. The basics games gives you a few cars and tracks for 40 odd quid, now that is a total rip off if you ask me and its because the game was about a third of a game on release.

Why is it that sim racers are so easy to exploit? I know we are not alone here, most games do it now, but with Dirt Rally 2.0 really showed what exploiting a tiny population can rake in if you di it. Literally selling old content as new. You are so easy to manipulate, new physics, tyres, Oh yes we'll pay 40 quid for 8 tracks and about 10 cars! Bless.

Fair enough this game is new, it feels new, and the content is good and you can get it on sale as you can now for cheaper.

But the fact remains sim developers really do exploit sim gamers, and why? Because on the whole most of you are desperate or dumb enough to just forget what games ought to cost. And pay whatever they want you to pay. Just like SKY, Amazon, Disney, Netflix etc.

Now that's a harsh comment I know, but take a look here, if you always do it, guess what happens, that cost keeps on rising, more DLC keeps coming and they market it as unmissable and you MUST have it, but really is it such a good idea? Eventually a game with all content will be 200 quid plus and you are making companies vast profits who in the past would have to work harder for their money, you make it easier and easier for them to exploit you.

Kunos announced recently they had made 100 million recently, couldn't they just release a bit more with the game from new instead of basically releasing half a game? Wouldn't that be refreshing?

I remember paying $59.99 of my hard earned money from chores for Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1988. The production cost, complexity, and quality of games have exploded since then, and in that context we’re getting a lot for our money. Especially for games of the quality of ACC that can provide endless hours of entertainment, practice, whatever you call it, it’s worth it. Some of us spend thousands on our rigs, what’s $85 for the game to play on it?

Developers need to be paid for their work. Given that sim racing is niche, the price goes up. The real robbery is the mass market FIFA stuff, same game each year, full price titles and they skim money on buying players etc. We have it easy compared to that lol.
And don't dare complain about 85 quid on something like ACC when we will happily drop 1k on gear on not blink an eyelid.

Developers need to be paid for their work. Given that sim racing is niche, the price goes up. The real robbery is the mass market FIFA stuff, same game each year, full price titles and they skim money on buying players etc. We have it easy compared to that lol.
And don't dare complain about 85 quid on something like ACC when we will happily drop 1k on gear on not blink an eyelid.

1k? Haha, some of us spend more then others spend on real cars! Haha

And I repeat, I have no issue with actual cost, I believe that is fair over time, my issue is with releasing a game with minimal content in full knowledge that more will be issued as DLC

And I repeat, ACC was released as a full package with everything included to race in the series which was in the title of the game. Please stop repeating this rubbish about needing DLC to do what the game was advertised to do! The DLC mainly introduces additional racing series' which are not, in any way, required to race in the GT World Challenge series. The 2020 GT World Challenge Pack (a real bargain, by the way) just updates the game for the 2020 season but isn't actually required.

Is it really "minimal content" if you can race in any car on any track in the originally advertised series? Where did it mention GT4, Intercontinental GT or the British GT series in the original description of the game?

OK fella, you are saying the company released a game based on one series, and all the tracks from that series are here.

I get your point, but that series is based around a small group of pro racers and manufacturer entries but a far larger group of semi pro and amateur drivers in two series based at the same venues, endurance and sprint. Who cannot race and commit as they are very often directors, gent drivers etc who earn vast sums and have very little time off, hence this series works for them as does historic racing.

It is not an equivalent of say MotoGP, F1 SBK, WRC, that goes to a far larger bunch of venues is it?

The base games gives you very little. less than 10 tracks and even fewer cars, Kunos knew this and probably had the DLC in mind on release, to play the FULL game you need all of it.

I am not saying the amount is a lot, if you paid initially it is maybe not value but fair. But my point is that the game was designed think so that more profit could be made form DLC, that is all. And that is a shame.

It's not really worth continuing to respond to this thread.
The OP has a fixed agenda and does not listen to the views from people here that the game was complete on release. Everyone knew what they were buying and wanted it. The extra DLC that was paid for was actually requested by the community, this was then licensed, designed and released and for, what I remember, a rather modest amount in the grand scheme of things.
Sim racers here keep repeating themselves in a vein attempt to educate the OP, but it falls on deaf ears and he or she just argues his or her invalid and blinkered points ad infinitum.
A rather pointless 'discussion'.

The base games gives you very little. less than 10 tracks and even fewer cars,
Liar. 11 tracks and 19 cars, 22 if you include EVO versions.

2018 tracks

2019 tracks

2018 cars

2019 cars

Both full seasons are in the base game, with all cars, tracks and drivers, plus the McLaren 720s from the McLaren Shadow Competition.

I know you don't like that you are wrong, but reality doesn't confirm to your delusions of getting less than 10 tracks and cars in the ACC base game. I posted that before, but you ignored it only to write the same again. Maybe you are just trolling, I somehow hope you do by now.

Last edited:
You are picking over hairs guys.

The base game has "about" 10 tracks is what i said, I don't know how many, I don't care, nor cars, but it is not many. Liveries do not count as extra cars FFS, that is idiotic.

Without DLC that is all you have, that is NOT a full RRP game in my opinion, nor should it be. the product was designed absolutely and utterly with paid DLC in mind to make it complete.

To argue against that is really missing the point in my eyes sorry.

If the base game was GT4 and GT3 with those tracks, that is fair enough. That would be my point, As if the GT4 was not in their minds when they released it!

OK fella, you are saying the company released a game based on one series, and all the tracks from that series are here.

Correct. You don't need anything else to race in the series in the original game title. It was never designed to include any other race series that happens at the same venue.

The base game has "about" 10 tracks is what i said, I don't know how many, I don't care, nor cars, but it is not many. Liveries do not count as extra cars FFS, that is idiotic.

Without DLC that is all you have.

That was all it was ever advertised as having! There was no promise of any DLC when the game was released because it didn't need any. We're fortunate now that we have optional DLC to expand the game in to areas it was never originally intended to go.

that is NOT a full RRP game in my opinion, nor should it be. the product was designed absolutely and utterly with paid DLC in mind to make it complete.

I have absolutely no idea how you arrive at that conclusion! How many times does it have to be repeated? It is complete! What is missing from the advertised game that makes it incomplete without DLC? It was designed around a 2018 race series which needed no DLC to compete in. You still don't need any DLC to compete in that series. There was never any promise of any additional race series being added to it at a later date. People bought in the full understanding that it was a single race series game.

The fact that you think it's incomplete doesn't make it so. Against all expectations, the base game stubbornly continues to fulfil its advertised capability! Without the need for any DLC!

Last edited:
You are all talking about the game based around a series largely for part time drivers, which is really what Blancpain is about, it is largely or amateur drivers.

A bit like making a golf game for only women players, not men aswell, or I don't know, the FA Cup, not the whole league with Champions League, League Cup etc. Then adding all this stuff on later for more money to make the game complete

It's hard to describe sorry, but my only issue here is that the original release catered for the series yes, you all think that makes it complete, totally finished. But it's obvious to me the rest of the stuff was in the pipeline, ready to be sold, if not finished.

I simply wish the game would ahve been held back a few months and released with say a few more tracks and GT4 as a main release, they the extra stuff as DLC, that is the full game for me in my eyes.

People will always disagree, but really a game with that few cars and tracks is only say two thirds of a release, in most people I talk to's eyes.

You are all talking about the game based around a series largely for part time drivers, which is really what Blancpain is about, it is largely or amateur drivers.

But that's exactly what the game was meant to be about! There was a reason it was originally called "Assetto Corsa Competizione - The Official Blancpain GT Series Game". Why is that so difficult to understand?

I simply wish the game would ahve been held back a few months and released with say a few more tracks and GT4 as a main release, they the extra stuff as DLC, that is the full game for me in my eyes.

It didn't need any more tracks - all the tracks for the Blancpain series (which didn't include GT4) were included. Remember that it was the official licenced game of that series. The focus was deliberately very narrow - it wasn't just another non-specific GT racing game.

Last edited:

So what's the issue here then? It's a racing series, a popular one too. Why does it matter who takes part? You ridicule Le Mans for the same thing? No, you'd be stupid if you did.
A lot of racing now and tracked back to its infancy was started by people with money and cars, gentleman drivers if you will. That's just the way it is and has always been.
The fact of the matter is that people like GT racing, and Blancpain, (as it was named at the time), was that. Pure GT racing, a lot of cars, drivers and more importantly, close and exciting racing.
So guess what, community asks for a GT game focused on a single series, and Kunos delivers this ask in spades, the title I myself, and it would appear a lot of sim racers were hoping for.

A bit like making a golf game for only women players, not men aswell, or I don't know, the FA Cup, not the whole league with Champions League, League Cup etc. Then adding all this stuff on later for more money to make the game complete
This doesn't really add up, sorry. I know you're trying to compare ACC to something imaginary to strengthen your argument, but your original argument is invalid so it doesn't make sense.

It's hard to describe sorry, but my only issue here is that the original release catered for the series yes, you all think that makes it complete, totally finished. But it's obvious to me the rest of the stuff was in the pipeline, ready to be sold, if not finished.

And you know that this was the plan how? You're saying this was obvious yet no one knew as it wasn't on the incredibly transparent road map that Kunos produced back when EA first released.
Even if they had the idea of adding extra content further down the line, that's business, that's an idea of how a company can continue to support their products and breathe new life into them. Do you seriously think that they can just release a title and then leave it once vaguely complete and move on to the next title only releasing new liveries and a few bug fixes?
Oh hang on, minus the additional content, you're talking about Fifa and F1 games. They bring out new titles with varying cosmetic and physics changes every year right? People buy those every year just for the updates to these titles, things that could have been added for free in most cases. Kunos brought out additional DLC for ACC, and carried on with the bug fixes years after release. Ergo, it's a different business model and one that is acceptable instead of creating new titles for 2019 and 2020 and charging full whack for each. I really can't see your argument here.

In your eyes yes, and you're obviously entitled to your own view, but people here have advised and confirmed how this title works multiple times, a lot of sim racers bought this title back when it was in EA.
I signed up at the start and haven't regretted a single day since owning it. You're just not listening to what people are saying. It's a different model.
Add up the costs of the individual F1 or Fifa titles over 3 years, then add up the cost of the base title for ACC and the additional content that added new cars and tracks and see what you get.

People will always disagree, but really a game with that few cars and tracks is only say two thirds of a release, in most people I talk to's eyes.
Most people that also don't own the title? As we have established, not too many people here appear to share these views.

• Deleted member 379375

If you are complaining about lack of content and I don't see your name on top of all the leaderboards then you still have plenty to do.

The basis of the OP argument seems to be a Ferrari is a rip off because you can get 1000 Ladas' for the same money.

If I may throw my two cents in here... (WALL OF TEXT INCOMING)

This was a pretty funny thread to read for me. I think that most here missed what feelings are being described by OP. At the same time, he doesn't seem to be listening either...

It appears that OP essentially wants to buy a single title that comes with the modern equivalent of a "season pass" - that means he pays one price, for a game that will continue be updated and added to for a a reasonable period of time (think GT Sport).

OP also seems to fear that, if consumers will continue to buy a title that supports development by using paid DLC, to flesh out the content and feature roster overtime, that companies will take advantage of this pricing strategy to milk as much money out of future titles using this method. That's why he's concerned about other people supporting this business model or monetization strategy now - he feels it could encourage companies to exploit this in the fuure.

The reality of keeping afloat is what he doesn't seem to understand: you always need money. Doesn't matter how much money you had before, if you don't have money now, you're still sunk. While the idea would be much simpler for consumers theoretically, it simply may not be feasible. I know nothing about business however, so someone else should probably chime in on that.

From what I can guess, OP seems to just be afraid about what the future holds for monetization strats.

Don't mean to offend anyone (including OP), just my two cents.

The future is already here I am afraid, and sadly with people seemingly endlessly willing to hand out 100 quid for a 40 quid game over time, it will only get worse.

My points are these. the game is based on a series, that series is not really the same as f1, or WRC or others in that it is designed around largely amateur drivers and pay drivers who are businessmen, some pros and some factory assisted teams, hence it can NOT be a full world series like F1 or WRC or Motogp, hence it has less rounds So the game being based around it means they can design less cars and tracks, making the sell and game design far quicker and easier. Oh and please dont put words in my mouth, Le Mans has ALWAYS been around amateur drivers mainly and pro at the top, if you don't get that you really don't know what you are talking about.

Second, releasing the game with minimal base content means the game was designed to have DLC from the start, to maximise profit. GT4 has been around for a long time and should have been included in the release. They then released tracks to include another series and Britain too, fair enough, but obviously charged for them, a shame. Perhaps they could have been there form the start.

Third, ask yourself if you would pay £85 for this title as it stands now. I doubt you would. OK this has been doled out over say 18 months or so, but still it means a company can make money without really doing anything like releasing a game, it is LAZY, EASY money.

Fourth, if you continue like this, soon games will all be like this, regardless of game type. Company releases game with say two thirds content, then over a time releases the rest of it, and can get away with charging maybe 3 times the base cost it should be as people are so willing to pay for it.

Five, please don't call me stupid, that is unfair. I know it's your money, you can spend it, I know the game was designed around one series, I know they told you all this. I know they are basing around series.

But because you are "In on it" you don't see the big picture, the fact that over time your money will be asked for more and more and more, they KNOW they can get away with this now, so will just do it more and more. That is my point in the main, and sorry to say it, but your selfishness and desire to not miss out is why, they are exploiting it, just like betting companies, mobile games, GATCHA do, it is monetization and if you keep doing it, it will get worse and worse.

And believe it or not every game right now is NOT like this, Polyphony didn't really do it with the massive GT Sport, God of War, and others are just basically games released to be played for one price alone. I do not play huge amounts of other stuff so there must be others, another example I played Destiony2 for nearly 100 hours last year for free!

That really is all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play