Shadows issue with CSP (examples included)

Running CSP 0.1.46 with Sol 1.4.2. I was running CSP preview205 then updated. Noticed some new options in Smart Shadows extension. It looks very nice, much sharper than the default textures, but when I turn my head the shadows disappear or clip heavily. Look at the steering wheel and the shadows in front of the car. Its just broken. Same with LA Canyons. Shadows on bushes gradually clip out depending on the angle of my head turn.

I cant for the life of me figure out whats going on. If I go into Smart Shadows section of CSP and uncheck Custom Shadow Matrices then the problem goes away but shadow resolution seems halved, just barely better than the stock AC shadows. Any help would be much appreciated.

Video Example 1 , Video Example 2
Custom Shader Patch Settings (image album)

Running CSP 0.1.46 with Sol 1.4.2. I was running CSP preview205 then updated. Noticed some new options in Smart Shadows extension. It looks very nice, much sharper than the default textures, but when I turn my head the shadows disappear or clip heavily. Look at the steering wheel and the shadows in front of the car. Its just broken. Same with LA Canyons. Shadows on bushes gradually clip out depending on the angle of my head turn.

I cant for the life of me figure out whats going on. If I go into Smart Shadows section of CSP and uncheck Custom Shadow Matrices then the problem goes away but shadow resolution seems halved, just barely better than the stock AC shadows. Any help would be much appreciated.

Video Example 1 , Video Example 2
Custom Shader Patch Settings (image album)
Hi mate - did you get this sorted? I have exactly the same problem also in VR and using CSP 0.1.46

Also do you have a discord server link please, the previous one seems to have expired.

Cheers!

Nope sorry, never worked. Updated to the newest sol and CSP 0.1.51. Dont have the dischord link either, couldnt find any information so I gave up and leave it unchecked. Its probly just not compatible in VR.

Last edited:
Nope sorry, never worked. Updated to the newest sol and CSP 0.1.51. Dont have the dischord link either, couldnt find any information so I gave up and leave it unchecked. Its probly just not compatible in VR.
Thanks for your response mate, I have just turned off custom shadow matrices under "smart shadows" for now as you suggested which solves the problem, all be it while reducing the shadow fidelity. Yeah youre probably right, I think it's something to do with the camera reference point from the headset with it being 2 screens and how the matrix calculates the shadow projections with respect to it. The problem for me is even worse as I use the Pimax 5k+ so it has angled screens and high fov. I think they need revise the matrix to respect the orientation of each display for this to work properly. I get similar artifacts in rfactor 2 with rain reflections - everything else is fine though so its a small price to pay for VR at the end of the day even if this is never fixed.

Last edited:
I had this problem to had to turn off smart shadows to stop the flickering.
Screenshot_3.jpg

I want to turn off custom matrices as well, because it eliminates the shadow flickering in my VR headset as well, but when I'd do that, the shadow starts rendering from the steering wheel see attachment. I tried everything, but can't solve it.

Edit: tested some more, it happens in open vr AND oculus vr mode, but not in single screen mode

Edit2: it's related to FOV setting in AC. Hmmm.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210_175211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210_175211_Gallery.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Good day yall, im having problems with the shadows of the door on the car every time i unpack LOD KN5 and exporting it back to the game through kseditor even though it looks alright in content manager

Hoping for a fix... thanks in advance
CSP 0.2.2, sol 2.2.9

Attachments

• 410831878_698996952015289_3774720284718293454_n-min.jpg
    410831878_698996952015289_3774720284718293454_n-min.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 410974313_258387713929224_3548380548103875413_n-min.png
    410974313_258387713929224_3548380548103875413_n-min.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 26
Good day yall, im having problems with the shadows of the door on the car every time i unpack LOD KN5 and exporting it back to the game through kseditor even though it looks alright in content manager

Hoping for a fix... thanks in advance
CSP 0.2.2, sol 2.2.9
Don’t think that’s a shadow issue, looks more like the mesh normals got changed during the import process to your 3d modeler

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back